Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Default Cheap or expensive?

We have a lanai off our master bedroom that opens onto a walled garden.
There are two arches, each about 66" x 82", for passage from lanai to
garden.

Originally, we intended to have those arches remain open but the mud daubers
*LOVE* to build on the lanai so I decided to enclose the arches with French
screen doors. The lanai faces east and the summer morning sun is fierce
here in Florida so the secondary reason was to diminish the sunlight.

My total costs for both pairs was a bit over $550. Of that, $275 was for
lumber (rough); the next biggest cost - about $90 -was for screening
materials (7/16 x 1" aluminum channel material (set into dados in rails &
stiles), the rest was for hinges, locks, surface bolts, some ply for a
bending jig, door closers, weather strip material, paint, etc.

That seemed kinda much to me so I just Googled a few places to see what I
could have bought them for. I'm glad I made them myself...prices ranged
from about $400-$979. And that was just the doors. At one place - the $979
place - having them pre-hung doubled the price.

Admittedly, everything seems high to me now but I am semi-stuck in the past.
What do you think, was $550 about right?

Here are a couple of pix...

One set of doors
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadio...anai-doors.jpg

Close-up of screen channel...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadio...en-channel.jpg

_____________________

As long as I'm posting, I might as well expound on some of the difficulties
encountered. The primary one was that the masonry arches were not
symmetrical; nor were they plumb. Hell, they weren't even symmetrical side
to side; i.e., the short side on each of a door pair was different. That
means I couldn't just measure the space to fill and build a door X4 to fit,
had to make each one individually. A pain.

The lanai was tiled, did it years ago. I wanted the doors to abut something
on all edges to help deter insects. That meant I had to cut down a strip of
tile about 6" wide - concrete under it too - then retile so I had about a
3/4" drop for the door to close against. I could have avoided that by using
door sweeps; if I had it to do over I might do that. Nah, better this way

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

I'm with you, that sounds like a lot of money.

Now days, it would have been three or four
times that (SWAG) to have it done for you.
You got off easy, by doing your own work.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dadiOH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
We have a lanai off our master bedroom that opens onto a walled
garden. There are two arches, each about 66" x 82", for passage from
lanai to garden.

Nice! Very nice.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/2013 1:19 PM, dadiOH wrote:

[...]

Stellar work ... simply said, you put the word "custom" back into custom
woodwork, including installation and trimout!

Here, this'll make you feel better, and give you an idea of the going
rate in this area. Less than two years back, client paid $3600 + for
this double custom door, and had my guys install (not trimmed out yet in
the photos) while we were there doing the kitchen and office:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...CM_ogv38gLy5KA

IOW, you did much better than good, Bubba!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:

As long as I'm posting, I might as well expound on some of the
difficulties encountered. The primary one was that the masonry
arches were not symmetrical; nor were they plumb. Hell, they
weren't even symmetrical side to side; i.e., the short side on each
of a door pair was different. That means I couldn't just measure
the space to fill and build a door X4 to fit, had to make each one
individually. A pain.

For a minute there, thought you were describing a boat Grin.

Nice work.

IMHO, you got off dirt cheap.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

One set of doorshttp://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadioh/south-lanai-doors.jpg

[...]

Are you sure you're not boasting....err....I mean posting so that we
can see the really nice doors you made?

Kidding! Not about the nice doors, about the boasting. ;-)

$550 for 4 custom arched doors, each a different out-of-plumb
size...installed? Dirt cheap.

Send your plans to a contractor and see what they come back with. I'll
bet they would be over $550 each.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Per dadiOH:
$550 about right?

Here are a couple of pix...

One set of doors
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadio...anai-doors.jpg

Close-up of screen channel...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadio...en-channel.jpg

Can't speak to Florida, but up here near Philadelphia we had a
set of French floor-to-ceiling doors put in between the rec room
and the stairs that lead to the rest of the house.

Total was about $1,800 - and the doors are nothing special...
quite the opposite, in fact.

Should'a hired you.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote:

As long as I'm posting, I might as well expound on some of the
difficulties encountered. The primary one was that the masonry
arches were not symmetrical; nor were they plumb. Hell, they
weren't even symmetrical side to side; i.e., the short side on each
of a door pair was different. That means I couldn't just measure
the space to fill and build a door X4 to fit, had to make each one
individually. A pain.

For a minute there, thought you were describing a boat Grin.

Been there, done that. On my 42' ketch. Complete with course and raffee.

Cut and fit...cut and fit...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in :

[...]

Exquisite work !!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:19:22 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

We have a lanai off our master bedroom that opens onto a walled garden.
There are two arches, each about 66" x 82", for passage from lanai to
garden.

What the hell is a lanai?

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 1:19*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

Winters getting colder? *Tired of the rat race?
Check it out...http://www.floridaloghouse.net

That looks great, you should hire out as a handyperson.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:

My total costs for both pairs was a bit over $550. Of that, $275 was
for
lumber (rough); the next biggest cost - about $90 -was for screening
materials (7/16 x 1" aluminum channel material (set into dados in
rails &
stiles), the rest was for hinges, locks, surface bolts, some ply for
bending jig, door closers, weather strip material, paint, etc.

Based on your descriptions, my guess is you are looking at
$1,500/panel,
$6,000 for the job, for custom fit and hanging of those door panels.

Might get a break and get the job done for $5,000, but I doubt it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote:

My total costs for both pairs was a bit over $550. Of that, $275 was
for
lumber (rough); the next biggest cost - about $90 -was for screening
materials (7/16 x 1" aluminum channel material (set into dados in
rails &
stiles), the rest was for hinges, locks, surface bolts, some ply for
bending jig, door closers, weather strip material, paint, etc.

Based on your descriptions, my guess is you are looking at
$1,500/panel,
$6,000 for the job, for custom fit and hanging of those door panels.

Might get a break and get the job done for $5,000, but I doubt it.

Lew

Phew! I sure am glad I had a shop built when we built the house

--

dadiOH