Mike Halmarack

Default More "Cheap" V "Expensive"

Q: Why should I buy a Trend CRT Mk2 router table rather than one of
the similarly designed but cheaper models available.

A: Because you get what you pay for.

Q: The Trend CRT Mk2 router table: Why did I have to grind, file
and abrade the aluminium casting before I could fit the router fixing
plate to the table?

A: Because you get what you pay for.

Q: The Trend CRT Mk2 router table: Why have I received a table on
which the work surface, if used in it's current state will very likely
tear my hands to shreds because of the all the rough, razor sharp
edges?

A: Because you get what you pay for.

Q: How much is it necessary to pay to get goods of acceptable quality?

A: More.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Mike Halmarack
wrote:

Q: Why should I buy a Trend CRT Mk2 router table rather than one of
the similarly designed but cheaper models available.

Make your own. My router table is rubbish (made of it, looks like it)
Yet it works well, better than most of the commercial ones, it cost
very little and the commercial tables are hugely overpriced.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/.../router_table/
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

Q: Why should I buy a Trend CRT Mk2 router table rather than one of
the similarly designed but cheaper models available.

Make your own. My router table is rubbish (made of it, looks like it)
Yet it works well, better than most of the commercial ones, it cost
very little and the commercial tables are hugely overpriced.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/.../router_table/

I do intend to make my own. After reading a lot of info I realised
that:

Building a router table is easier if you have a router table to make
the parts.

Commercially produced router tables re-sell for a good price on eBay.

Even so, I think Trend should zoom-in on quality control.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
RichardS

wrote:

Q: Why should I buy a Trend CRT Mk2 router table rather than one of
the similarly designed but cheaper models available.

Make your own. My router table is rubbish (made of it, looks like it)
Yet it works well, better than most of the commercial ones, it cost
very little and the commercial tables are hugely overpriced.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/.../router_table/

Nice. Simple, and 100% custom fit to your needs.

One of the joys of routers is making your own tooling to fit the needs -
tables, jigs, etc. In my case it was a table and a rough'n'ready jig to
speed up production of about 100 tenons for a project.

My router table is made from an MDF offcut, but with runners underneath so
that I can just clamp it into the workmate when needed. Don't have the
space for a more permanent setup like yours. The only fiddly bit is making
the insert - even though I consider the trend table insert to be a complete
rip-off for what it is, I might be tempted to just go and buy one for the
next table(s) - it's just there and speeds the whole job up.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Q: Why should I buy a Trend CRT Mk2 router table rather than one of
the similarly designed but cheaper models available.

Make your own. My router table is rubbish (made of it, looks like it)
Yet it works well, better than most of the commercial ones, it cost
very little and the commercial tables are hugely overpriced.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/.../router_table/

What a tidy workshop! Even the floor is clean (or was in 2000).
Congratulations.Would you like to come and bray Spouse over the head and
make him see the sense of such efficient organisation?

Mary

[news]

wrote:

Q: Why should I buy a Trend CRT Mk2 router table rather than one of
the similarly designed but cheaper models available.

Make your own. My router table is rubbish (made of it, looks like it)
Yet it works well, better than most of the commercial ones, it cost
very little and the commercial tables are hugely overpriced.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/.../router_table/

looks good but as it cost less than an expensive one it must be rubbish !

to suggest otherwise is heresy and thou shalt be bur-ned at ye stake ;-)

RT

JZIZinvalid

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:58:37 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Q: Why should I buy a Trend CRT Mk2 router table rather than one of
the similarly designed but cheaper models available.

Make your own. My router table is rubbish (made of it, looks like it)
Yet it works well, better than most of the commercial ones, it cost
very little and the commercial tables are hugely overpriced.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/.../router_table/

What a tidy workshop! Even the floor is clean (or was in 2000).
Congratulations.Would you like to come and bray Spouse over the head and
make him see the sense of such efficient organisation?

How do you know it wasn't cleaned up for the photo.

The cat seem happy.

wrote:

Q: Why should I buy a Trend CRT Mk2 router table rather than one

of
the similarly designed but cheaper models available.

Make your own. My router table is rubbish (made of it, looks like

it)
Yet it works well, better than most of the commercial ones, it cost
very little and the commercial tables are hugely overpriced.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/.../router_table/

looks good but as it cost less than an expensive one it must be

rubbish !

Ah, but you could have n of those for the price of one "good" one.

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

What a tidy workshop!

You must be joking ! The stuff in crates on the shelves is just there
because it would undergo gravitational collapse otherwise. It was
full a month ago, since then I'd put an intact sideboard and three
smashpacked wardrobes into there as well - hence the extra dining
table sitting in the kitchen. Just getting from one end to the other
is a trip of Extreme Hazard and I'm frantically making stuff (piccies
tonight) just to consume timber and make space.

Even the floor is clean (or was in 2000).

Those pictures were taken around January this year, except the kitchen
table construction one (with cat). It was the first time the shed had
had space in it sufficient to get a photo.

The floor stays cleaner in the winter because I need the shavings to
light the fire with.

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

What a tidy workshop!

And today it produced this
http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/boxes/norse/

Mary Fisher

wrote:

What a tidy workshop!

And today it produced this
http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/boxes/norse/

For me! You shouldn't ...

Well OK, perhaps it wasn't for me. But it's given me an idea what Spouse can
make from the very thick yew 'coffee table' we rescued last year. Not
spalted but heart and sap wood different, worth featuring.

Well done.

Mary