Posted to rec.woodworking
MrM MrM is offline

Default Cheap Routers are Expensive

Woops, hit something that made it send...

Anyway, I also have a PC trim router that I don't like the depth adjustment
on cause you have to loosen the base on to use and it seems kind of tippy.
Looking for a better idea.

On bits: Can't say I've ever worn one out but I've had crappy ones like
from Rockler and Whiteside. Now I only buy Amana if at all possilbe, they
cost more but are worth it in me experience.

"MrM" wrote in message news:...
I have three larger PCs, a 7518 in a router table, a 7529 plunge that I
hardly use cause it's too big, heavy and awkward and a 891 to replace the
7529. I like the adjustmen and plunge better on the 7529 then the 891 but
the smaler one is easier to use.
I'm happy with them and they have never given me any trouble.
"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I just ruined a 12' long piece of oak because the depth adjustment on my
Craftsman router slipped while beading the edge of the oak. Not sure what
happened, but I am nervous about using it now. Never had a problem on
pine, but it seems like oak stresses the machine too much.

In looking at some posts on router recommendations, it seems like Porter
Cable are well thought of. Is that still the case?

Incidentally, how long should a good bit like PC last?

Cheap Routers are Expensive Buck Turgidson Woodworking 19 November 23rd 06 05:23 PM
More "Cheap" V "Expensive" Mike Halmarack UK diy 10 March 24th 05 09:33 PM
Cheap 1/2" routers Hands On UK diy 1 February 8th 05 05:39 PM
Cheap or Expensive power tools JM UK diy 4 January 6th 05 01:04 PM
Expensive kitchen or cheap alternative? Richard UK diy 18 November 12th 04 12:08 AM