Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing before cutting dadoes?

Still planning for some shelf units. I built a simple jig for routing
out the dadoes. I cheated a bit, leaving out the adjustability for
now, but I'm quite pleased with the results. The test dadoes are nice
and snug and the process is very quick.

The scrap ply that I used to test the jig happened to be finished; I
guess it was a shelf for an older project. I was impressed by how
cleanly the router cut the dadoes. It has me wondering if there would
be any problem with prefinishing the uprights and routing the dadoes
afterward. I had already planned to prefinish the pieces before
assembly, but this would eliminate the need to mask (or otherwise
avoid) the insides of the dadoes during the finishing process.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/2012 2:32 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Still planning for some shelf units. I built a simple jig for routing
out the dadoes. I cheated a bit, leaving out the adjustability for
now, but I'm quite pleased with the results. The test dadoes are nice
and snug and the process is very quick.

The scrap ply that I used to test the jig happened to be finished; I
guess it was a shelf for an older project. I was impressed by how
cleanly the router cut the dadoes. It has me wondering if there would
be any problem with prefinishing the uprights and routing the dadoes
afterward. I had already planned to prefinish the pieces before
assembly, but this would eliminate the need to mask (or otherwise
avoid) the insides of the dadoes during the finishing process.

You can prefinish before cutting the dado's but there is a chance that
you will scratch the finish and if the edge need to be sanded at all you
have to refinish. I would suggest finishing prior to assembly but not
before completing all cuts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
Still planning for some shelf units. I built a simple jig for routing
out the dadoes. I cheated a bit, leaving out the adjustability for
now, but I'm quite pleased with the results. The test dadoes are nice
and snug and the process is very quick.

The scrap ply that I used to test the jig happened to be finished; I
guess it was a shelf for an older project. I was impressed by how
cleanly the router cut the dadoes. It has me wondering if there would
be any problem with prefinishing the uprights and routing the dadoes
afterward.

NP, why would there be?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/12 2:32 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Still planning for some shelf units. I built a simple jig for routing
out the dadoes. I cheated a bit, leaving out the adjustability for
now, but I'm quite pleased with the results. The test dadoes are nice
and snug and the process is very quick.

The scrap ply that I used to test the jig happened to be finished; I
guess it was a shelf for an older project. I was impressed by how
cleanly the router cut the dadoes. It has me wondering if there would
be any problem with prefinishing the uprights and routing the dadoes
afterward. I had already planned to prefinish the pieces before
assembly, but this would eliminate the need to mask (or otherwise
avoid) the insides of the dadoes during the finishing process.

I pre-finish stock very often. With plywood, it helps get cleaner cuts.
The key is to only finish as far as you don't mind getting scratched.
If you finish all the way, it is very difficult to keep that final
finish from getting scratched and dinged.

But pre-finishing is a great way to conveniently get many coats of
whatever on the stock.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26, 4:02*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
Still planning for some shelf units. I built a simple jig for routing
out the dadoes. I cheated a bit, leaving out the adjustability for
now, but I'm quite pleased with the results. The test dadoes are nice
and snug and the process is very quick.

The scrap ply that I used to test the jig happened to be finished; I
guess it was a shelf for an older project. I was impressed by how
cleanly the router cut the dadoes. It has me wondering if there would
be any problem with prefinishing the uprights and routing the dadoes
afterward.

NP, why would there be?

I try not to assume that I - by sheer force of intellect - can predict
what will happen better than other (more experienced) people can
*remember* what *did* happen. While it's nice to learn from your own
mistakes, it's cheaper to learn from someone else's.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/12 3:16 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On Dec 26, 4:02 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
Still planning for some shelf units. I built a simple jig for routing
out the dadoes. I cheated a bit, leaving out the adjustability for
now, but I'm quite pleased with the results. The test dadoes are nice
and snug and the process is very quick.

The scrap ply that I used to test the jig happened to be finished; I
guess it was a shelf for an older project. I was impressed by how
cleanly the router cut the dadoes. It has me wondering if there would
be any problem with prefinishing the uprights and routing the dadoes
afterward.

NP, why would there be?

I try not to assume that I - by sheer force of intellect - can predict
what will happen better than other (more experienced) people can
*remember* what *did* happen. While it's nice to learn from your own
mistakes, it's cheaper to learn from someone else's.

Even after decades of experience, anyone who is very good at whatever he
does has learned to expect the unexpected.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

has me wondering if there would
be any problem with prefinishing the uprights and routing the dadoes
afterward. I had already planned to prefinish the pieces before
assembly, but this would eliminate the need to mask (or otherwise
avoid) the insides of the dadoes during the finishing process.

It varies with the project and finish. if you're going to pre-finish, it
makes sense to do it to the point that you try to only do each step once.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26, 4:02 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

+1

(Remember, there are always two other people in the shop with you at all
times .... Murphy, and the shop dummy)

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
Still planning for some shelf units. I built a simple jig for routing
out the dadoes. I cheated a bit, leaving out the adjustability for
now, but I'm quite pleased with the results. The test dadoes are nice
and snug and the process is very quick.

The scrap ply that I used to test the jig happened to be finished; I
guess it was a shelf for an older project. I was impressed by how
cleanly the router cut the dadoes. It has me wondering if there would
be any problem with prefinishing the uprights and routing the dadoes
afterward. I had already planned to prefinish the pieces before
assembly, but this would eliminate the need to mask (or otherwise
avoid) the insides of the dadoes during the finishing process.

You may have to slightly "adjust" your jig if the finish results in any
significant build up on your boards. Only one way to tell...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26, 4:13*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/26/12 2:32 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Still planning for some shelf units. I built a simple jig for routing
out the dadoes. I cheated a bit, leaving out the adjustability for
now, but I'm quite pleased with the results. The test dadoes are nice
and snug and the process is very quick.

The scrap ply that I used to test the jig happened to be finished; I
guess it was a shelf for an older project. I was impressed by how
cleanly the router cut the dadoes. It has me wondering if there would
be any problem with prefinishing the uprights and routing the dadoes
afterward. I had already planned to prefinish the pieces before
assembly, but this would eliminate the need to mask (or otherwise
avoid) the insides of the dadoes during the finishing process.

I pre-finish stock very often. *With plywood, it helps get cleaner cuts..

Could you expand on that a bit? Does the wood splinter less?

The key is to only finish as far as you don't mind getting scratched.
If you finish all the way, it is very difficult to keep that final
finish from getting scratched and dinged.

Sounds like a good compromise.

But pre-finishing is a great way to conveniently get many coats of
whatever on the stock.

This project, assuming I find the gumption to start it, will involve
more finishing than I have ever done before. Any little edge in
efficiency would be a blessing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26, 4:59*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
Still planning for some shelf units. I built a simple jig for routing
out the dadoes. I cheated a bit, leaving out the adjustability for
now, but I'm quite pleased with the results. The test dadoes are nice
and snug and the process is very quick.

The scrap ply that I used to test the jig happened to be finished; I
guess it was a shelf for an older project. I was impressed by how
cleanly the router cut the dadoes. It has me wondering if there would
be any problem with prefinishing the uprights and routing the dadoes
afterward. I had already planned to prefinish the pieces before
assembly, but this would eliminate the need to mask (or otherwise
avoid) the insides of the dadoes during the finishing process.

You may have to slightly "adjust" your jig if the finish results in any
significant build up on your boards. *Only one way to tell...

I figure that if I choose to prefinish the shelves as well, I'll need
to mask the parts that fit into the dadoes. Glue wouldn't stick
otherwise, would it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/12 9:22 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On Dec 26, 4:13 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Yes. The finish holds the fibers together. And "less" is the operative
word. Depending on the finish and wood, it helps more or less. Some
finishes are excellent and yield a clean line.

The key is to only finish as far as you don't mind getting scratched.
If you finish all the way, it is very difficult to keep that final
finish from getting scratched and dinged.

Sounds like a good compromise.

But pre-finishing is a great way to conveniently get many coats of
whatever on the stock.

This project, assuming I find the gumption to start it, will involve
more finishing than I have ever done before. Any little edge in
efficiency would be a blessing.

Concerning your question in another post about masking the dado ends,
masking would work. Depending on the finish, sometimes sanding that
section is pretty quick and easy. When I've done that, I've made a
sanding block with an edge guide that keeps the paper on the ends.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/2012 9:26 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I figure that if I choose to prefinish the shelves as well, I'll need
to mask the parts that fit into the dadoes. Glue wouldn't stick
otherwise, would it?

No ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

[about routing dadoes on finished wood]

If 'finish' is wax or oil or varnish or lacquer, probably it's fine.

If 'finish' is shellac, heating at the cutting edge can cause
it to melt, adhere to the router. And if it's paint, there are some
pigments that can abrade a steel router bit (but probably
OK on carbide).

So, it's not the wood I'd look at, but the router bit, for
gunk or wear.

Dadoes in both sides of 3/4" ply? Greg Guarino[_2_] Woodworking 54 December 15th 12 11:15 PM
rebates, dadoes, and dovetails Stephen[_12_] UK diy 32 December 17th 10 11:16 PM
Extreme(?) crosscut dadoes tom Woodworking 32 May 27th 07 03:47 AM
wiggly dadoes? KJ Woodworking 14 August 29th 05 05:14 PM
Tip 'O the Month,for Drawer Bottom Dadoes Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 22 July 4th 04 11:06 PM