Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beauty is in the eye the beholder

Bill wrote in :

Thanks, as always, Sonny. At first, I thought that the distance was
too far either, then after a few minutes I realized that there is a
Elizabethtown, IN AND an Elizabethtown, KY!

I already checked that the rental of a pickup truck is $20+.60/mile +
gas + blah, blah, which I believe wold exceed $300 for transportation.
So by the time that is factored in, the price of a new one, delivered
($1000) doesn't look like much more. I looked up the price of a used
pick up truck (which I wouldn't mind having), but from my brief
investigation they seem out of my range. I'm naive about what is
available, but I'll work on that (someday).

Cheers,
Bill

Owning a pickup truck when you've only got a little bit of work for it
is not worth it. It's not that they're not nice to have, it's just it
costs you quite a bit to let it sit in the driveway (insurance), and
quite a bit to take it on the road (gas).

If you've got a van, it's a little tighter but it can haul almost the
same range of stuff.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:55:40 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
300 miles is about a 6 hour trip. That is one day. Leave early about 6
in the morning, be there by noon, and get home by 9pm that night.

Round trip, not each way.

Really? I can remember driving from Toronto to Montreal (300 miles)
and it was always about a five to six hour trip (one way) on the
highway about 60 miles an hour.

If you can do 300 miles at twice that speed, I'd like to know how you
avoid the ticket police, the dangerous driving police and every other
police agency that you'd attract.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:55:40 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
300 miles is about a 6 hour trip. That is one day. Leave early about 6
in the morning, be there by noon, and get home by 9pm that night.

Round trip, not each way.

Sorry, please ignore my previous message. At the moment, I was
incapable of reading that it was 150 miles each way instead of 300
each way.

Apologies.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:35:56 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Preach it brother! Screw that scenic stuff...

Hell, I can remember when I bought my first car, a 68 Thunderbird. For
a number of months, I'd routinely put about a 1000 miles a week on it,
just for the sheer pleasure of driving it.

Scenery didn't matter much since much of that driving was in the dead
of night. Just driving itself can be nice enough.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:35:56 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Preach it brother! Screw that scenic stuff...

Hell, I can remember when I bought my first car, a 68 Thunderbird. For
a number of months, I'd routinely put about a 1000 miles a week on it,
just for the sheer pleasure of driving it.

Scenery didn't matter much since much of that driving was in the dead
of night. Just driving itself can be nice enough.

The driving hasn't changed much, but, at $40-$50, the fill-ups are more
of a nuisance. The notion of $20,000 cars doesn't do much for me either.
Of course, the Internet and Google Earth is nice. Ya win some, ya lose
some.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

Owning a pickup truck when you've only got a little bit of work for
it
is not worth it. It's not that they're not nice to have, it's just
it
costs you quite a bit to let it sit in the driveway (insurance), and
quite a bit to take it on the road (gas).

You may not classify it as a "Truck", but my only vehicle is a
"Tonka Toy".

A Toyota Tacoma, 4 cyl, 5 spd manual pick-up that still gets
about 23-25 miles/gal here in L/A traffic after 125,000 miles.

Accepts 4x8 ply sheets, and 16 ft stick lumber, if you hang a red flag
on the overhang.

It's not a 1 ton P-U, but it meets my needs, and has moved lots
of heavy boat stuff.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, as always, Sonny. At first, I thought that the distance was too

far either, then after a few minutes I realized that there is a

Elizabethtown, IN AND an Elizabethtown, KY!

Thems cities done made a fool of me. I went to the Indianapolis craiglist and typed "jointer" in the search and that listing came up. I just assumed it was in Indiana. I didn't check the seller's phone area code. Oh well! Maybe sooner, than later, another jointer will show up.

A 4'X8' Uhaul enclosed trailer rents for $15, according to Uhaul's website. I think those trailers have a max speed (55-60mph?) you can drive them.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Puckdropper" wrote:

Owning a pickup truck when you've only got a little bit of work for
it
is not worth it. It's not that they're not nice to have, it's just
it
costs you quite a bit to let it sit in the driveway (insurance), and
quite a bit to take it on the road (gas).

You may not classify it as a "Truck", but my only vehicle is a
"Tonka Toy".

A Toyota Tacoma, 4 cyl, 5 spd manual pick-up that still gets
about 23-25 miles/gal here in L/A traffic after 125,000 miles.

Accepts 4x8 ply sheets, and 16 ft stick lumber, if you hang a red flag
on the overhang.

It's not a 1 ton P-U, but it meets my needs, and has moved lots
of heavy boat stuff.

Lew

Looks like a "smart" choice!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/20/2012 2:22 PM, Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Well, I didn't want to post something way out of his way.... I did
that once before concerning a table saw, across the border, in
Dayton, Ohio (I think it was)...., so I did a MapQuest search
checking locations nearer to him. I thought he lives in Indianapolis
and, according to MapQuest, Elizabethtown is 52 miles south of Indy.
I thought, if he lives just north of Indy, maybe add another 20-25
miles. That round trip would be about 150 miles.

Sonny

Thanks, as always, Sonny. At first, I thought that the distance was too
far either, then after a few minutes I realized that there is a
Elizabethtown, IN AND an Elizabethtown, KY!

I already checked that the rental of a pickup truck is $20+.60/mile +
gas + blah, blah, which I believe wold exceed $300 for transportation.
So by the time that is factored in, the price of a new one, delivered
($1000) doesn't look like much more. I looked up the price of a used
pick up truck (which I wouldn't mind having), but from my brief
investigation they seem out of my range. I'm naive about what is
available, but I'll work on that (someday).

Cheers,
Bill

As I said when I posted originally I rented the Silvarado at Enterprise
in Kent Ohio and drove it home to east of Raleigh NC (700 miles). It
cost me $100 (Rent+Insurance) and 50 additional gas. That is what I
paid I don't know about the $20 + mileage. If that is the best they can
do you should check the other rental agencies.

If he is driving south from Indianapolis that would be I-65. This is
the most scenic part of Indiana with Brown County State Park, and
several other parks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/20/2012 5:00 PM, Bill wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:35:56 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Preach it brother! Screw that scenic stuff...

Hell, I can remember when I bought my first car, a 68 Thunderbird. For
a number of months, I'd routinely put about a 1000 miles a week on it,
just for the sheer pleasure of driving it.

Scenery didn't matter much since much of that driving was in the dead
of night. Just driving itself can be nice enough.

The driving hasn't changed much, but, at $40-$50, the fill-ups are more
of a nuisance. The notion of $20,000 cars doesn't do much for me either.
Of course, the Internet and Google Earth is nice. Ya win some, ya lose
some.

You must live in the city. We are 15 miles from everything even though
I am retired we need a car to get groceries, go to church, and all of
the things you need to get to live.

As far as the $50 bucks for gas, what else can you and your family do
for a day that cost less than $50. You can not even take the wife out
to a nice restaurant for $50 and that would be only a couple of hours.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/20/2012 6:16 PM, Sonny wrote:

Thanks, as always, Sonny. At first, I thought that the distance was too

far either, then after a few minutes I realized that there is a

Elizabethtown, IN AND an Elizabethtown, KY!

Thems cities done made a fool of me. I went to the Indianapolis craiglist and typed "jointer" in the search and that listing came up. I just assumed it was in Indiana. I didn't check the seller's phone area code. Oh well! Maybe sooner, than later, another jointer will show up.

A 4'X8' Uhaul enclosed trailer rents for $15, according to Uhaul's website. I think those trailers have a max speed (55-60mph?) you can drive them.

Sonny

I have pulled them at highway speeds even on interstates. So now the
cost is down to about $50 since you can use a U Haul trailer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle wrote:
On 12/20/2012 6:16 PM, Sonny wrote:

Thanks, as always, Sonny. At first, I thought that the distance was too

far either, then after a few minutes I realized that there is a

Elizabethtown, IN AND an Elizabethtown, KY!

Thems cities done made a fool of me. I went to the Indianapolis
craiglist and typed "jointer" in the search and that listing came
up. I just assumed it was in Indiana. I didn't check the seller's
phone area code. Oh well! Maybe sooner, than later, another jointer
will show up.

A 4'X8' Uhaul enclosed trailer rents for $15, according to Uhaul's
website.

Yes, you must not have done much business with them. I have done 4 moves
with them. They are not in business for the sake of our convenience! : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:35:56 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Preach it brother! Screw that scenic stuff...

Hell, I can remember when I bought my first car, a 68 Thunderbird. For
a number of months, I'd routinely put about a 1000 miles a week on it,
just for the sheer pleasure of driving it.

Scenery didn't matter much since much of that driving was in the dead
of night. Just driving itself can be nice enough.

Now we're talkin'!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:35:56 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Preach it brother! Screw that scenic stuff...

Hell, I can remember when I bought my first car, a 68 Thunderbird.
For a number of months, I'd routinely put about a 1000 miles a week
on it, just for the sheer pleasure of driving it.

Scenery didn't matter much since much of that driving was in the dead
of night. Just driving itself can be nice enough.

The driving hasn't changed much, but, at $40-$50, the fill-ups are
more of a nuisance. The notion of $20,000 cars doesn't do much for me
either. Of course, the Internet and Google Earth is nice. Ya win
some, ya lose some.

No kiddin'! I thought 10K was too much to spend on a car, but I was willing
to go there just because. But... at 20K - that's just crazy for a freakin'
car. We're not talking about a house here.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:

As far as the $50 bucks for gas, what else can you and your family do
for a day that cost less than $50. You can not even take the wife out
to a nice restaurant for $50 and that would be only a couple of hours.

I can - I just don't let her eat...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 23:46:48 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Bill wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:35:56 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Preach it brother! Screw that scenic stuff...

Hell, I can remember when I bought my first car, a 68 Thunderbird.
For a number of months, I'd routinely put about a 1000 miles a week
on it, just for the sheer pleasure of driving it.

Scenery didn't matter much since much of that driving was in the dead
of night. Just driving itself can be nice enough.

The driving hasn't changed much, but, at $40-$50, the fill-ups are
more of a nuisance. The notion of $20,000 cars doesn't do much for me
either. Of course, the Internet and Google Earth is nice. Ya win
some, ya lose some.

No kiddin'! I thought 10K was too much to spend on a car, but I was willing
to go there just because. But... at 20K - that's just crazy for a freakin'
car. We're not talking about a house here.

You should have heard what my girlfriend said when they delivered a
backhoe and an excavator. It's been 3 years now, still no ring and
she's still around. LOL OK the truth is I've done everything I can
to keep her happy.

Mike M

BEAUTY GUIDE [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 18th 08 04:30 AM
BEAUTY GUIDE [email protected] Woodturning 0 January 17th 08 08:36 AM
Photo beauty spa [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 26th 07 09:54 AM
BATHING BEAUTY J T Woodworking 0 February 27th 07 11:31 PM
House should be beauty ImageMagicLeader Home Ownership 0 February 2nd 07 02:36 PM