Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beauty is in the eye the beholder

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3480305745.html

I apologize. And no, the ad is not mine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3480305745.html

I apologize. And no, the ad is not mine.

OOPS, that was the wrong one.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3453735753.html

Not sure how that happened...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

Bill wrote:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3480305745.html

I apologize. And no, the ad is not mine.

OOPS, that was the wrong one.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3453735753.html

Not sure how that happened...

Looks like a good idea to me. Saw stands tend to be pretty steady and are
usually reasonably lightweight. It's not beautiful, but the ad doesn't
make any claims that it is. Only that it's heavy duty.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3480305745.html

I apologize. And no, the ad is not mine.

Indeed it is. In fact, I find those to be so beautiful that I own one.
Different brand, different color, but same tool. It's one of those tools
that doesn't get used a lot, but when you need it - you need it. I would
not have bought one - mine was given to me. Guy just wanted it out of
there.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3480305745.html

I apologize. And no, the ad is not mine.

OOPS, that was the wrong one.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3453735753.html

Not sure how that happened...

Easy enough mistake - they're both the same color.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3480305745.html

I apologize. And no, the ad is not mine.

Indeed it is. In fact, I find those to be so beautiful that I own one.
Different brand, different color, but same tool. It's one of those tools
that doesn't get used a lot, but when you need it - you need it. I would
not have bought one - mine was given to me. Guy just wanted it out of
there.

No, actually I was thinking of renting a "cherry picker"! : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3480305745.html

I apologize. And no, the ad is not mine.

OOPS, that was the wrong one.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3453735753.html

Not sure how that happened...

Easy enough mistake - they're both the same color.

LOL -- I'll take the first one please.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:02:07 -0500, Bill wrote:

I apologize. And no, the ad is not mine.

Sure is a beauty. Does it come with sunglasses?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3480305745.html

"Cherry picker" my foot. That's an engine hoist.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 21:44:31 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
"Cherry picker" my foot. That's an engine hoist.

Sure is and a pretty good price if it's in working condition.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 21:44:31 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
"Cherry picker" my foot. That's an engine hoist.

Sure is and a pretty good price if it's in working condition.

Absolutely - and even if it's not, there's really nothing big that can go
wrong with them. There's nothing that can't be fixed for really small
bucks.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 21:44:31 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
"Cherry picker" my foot. That's an engine hoist.

Sure is and a pretty good price if it's in working condition.

Absolutely - and even if it's not, there's really nothing big that can go
wrong with them. There's nothing that can't be fixed for really small
bucks.

Mike, I had been thinking about using one of these for assembling TS and
jointer. The bed of the jointer is almost 400 pounds I think.

http://centralindianarentals.com/cat...y-engine-hoist

What parts am I missing to help complete the assembly (besides strong
friends)? My intuition suggests "2 Chains around a blanket (wrapped
around the end of the heavy parts). For safety's sake, I would make sure
there is someone around to watch, laugh, polk-fun, and that sort of
stuff, while I was doing this. I won't try it until I learn more.
I don't want to end up on the next episode of America's Bloopers.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Dave wrote:
[...]

Since I posted this, I went browsing and learned that one is not suppose
to lift jointer table by the infeed and outfeed tables (weakest
link)--so I'm that much more prepared. Maybe the folks who rent this
stuff have some "belts".

BTW, I contacted Grizzly the other day to see if they would give me a
"coupon code" for a TS and a jointer sale, but they wouldn't do it.
Maybe a coupon will show up in a magazine like I've seen before--I'm
still subscribing! : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 00:02:50 -0500, Bill wrote:
What parts am I missing to help complete the assembly (besides strong
friends)? My intuition suggests "2 Chains around a blanket (wrapped
around the end of the heavy parts). For safety's sake, I would make sure

In addition to the chain, you'd also need some suitable hooks and
locking link accessories. *SAFETY* is the operative word when lifting
anything heavy and/or valuable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 00:02:50 -0500, Bill wrote:
What parts am I missing to help complete the assembly (besides strong
friends)? My intuition suggests "2 Chains around a blanket (wrapped
around the end of the heavy parts). For safety's sake, I would make
sure

In addition to the chain, you'd also need some suitable hooks and
locking link accessories. *SAFETY* is the operative word when lifting
anything heavy and/or valuable.

A couple simple clevaces would do the trick. Bill's other post is heading
in the right direction - the place that he's going to rent one from may also
provide some sort of sling that he can use.

Although - in the spirit of a similar post earlier this week - Bill... this
is the perfect excuse for you to go out and get one of those Harbor Freight
electric winches. Install it on a rail in the shop so you can shuttle it
across the width of the shop. You'd be the envy of many!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 11:54:46 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:

BTW, I contacted Grizzly the other day to see if they would give me a "coupon code" for a TS and a jointer sale, but they wouldn't do it. Maybe a coupon will show up in a magazine like I've seen before--I'm still subscribing! : )

I did an AuctionZip search for your area. On Tuesday 18th, in Arcadia, the "Brown Bear Auction Company" listing has a Grizzly jointer (view photos). Seems there is a reduced reserve. This tool may have been up for sale in the past and no one bought it. Maybe there will be no tool junkies attending this sale.... There are no other tools listed for this auction. If you check out this sale, find out if there is any warranty with the tool, spiral or straight cutter head, HSS or carbide knives. It looks fairly new. I'm not familiar with Grizzly's jointers. This one a "Z" Series jointer!?
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/au...earchKeywords=

On Wednesday, 19th, a sale in Indy, "Market Day with Old Advertising and Road Art", has a WoodTek jointer and some bandsaws:
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/au...earchKeywords=

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, December 17, 2012 9:43:02 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
I did an AuctionZip search for your area. On Tuesday 18th, in Arcadia, the "Brown Bear Auction Company" listing has a Grizzly jointer (view photos).. Seems there is a reduced reserve. This tool may have been up for sale in the past and no one bought it. Maybe there will be no tool junkies attending this sale.... There are no other tools listed for this auction. If you check out this sale, find out if there is any warranty with the tool, spiral or straight cutter head, HSS or carbide knives. It looks fairly new. I'm not familiar with Grizzly's jointers. This one a "Z" Series jointer!? http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/au...earchKeywords=

I suspect this jointer is being sold via consignment. You might ask the auctioneer who the owner/seller is, to ask him a question about the jointer - Is there anything wrong with it? Why is it being sold?

If the jointer doesn't sell, at this auction, you may be able to negotiate with the seller at a later date, since you would have his contact info. You can't negotiate another (reserve) price at the auction. If the reserve was reduced once before, a later date private negotiating might reduce it again.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Sonny. You have good eyes! I didn't even know that I had a
"Brown Bear Auction Company" in the area--I'll start keeping an eye on
their inventory.

Cheers,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Thank you, Sonny. You have good eyes! I didn't even know that I had a
"Brown Bear Auction Company" in the area--I'll start keeping an eye on
their inventory.

Cheers,
Bill

Brown Bear isn't answering his phone! ; )
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote

Brown Bear isn't answering his phone! ; )

Well, it IS winter. He could be hibernating...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

I did an AuctionZip search for your area. On Tuesday 18th, in
Arcadia, the "Brown Bear Auction Company" listing has a Grizzly
jointer (view photos). Seems there is a reduced reserve. This tool
may have been up for sale in the past and no one bought it. Maybe
there will be no tool junkies attending this sale.... There are no
other tools listed for this auction.

Sonny, I did my homework on this one. I even read the manual.
Since a new one one with new blades, a mobile base and it's
blade-setting guage can be had for $500, delivered, I won't bid like
crazy, but I'm interested. I'll see if I can find out the reserve over
the phone before I make the drive. Thank you for the lead to the jointer!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:04:28 AM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
I'll see if I can find out the reserve over the phone before I make the drive. Thank you for the lead to the jointer! Bill

They won't tell you the reserve amount or it's not normally revealed. A reserve amount is never revealed, unless in the form of a starting/minimum bid amount. This way, the bidder is more induced to bid high.

If that jointer, new, delivered, is only $500, then maybe, MY max bid would be $150 - $175.

What is the jointer's value to YOU? Decide what the jointer's value is for YOU. Don't bid beyond that amount, PERIOD!!! Don't get caught up in the "excitement" of the auction or bidding... kind of like impulse buying. *It's the auctioneer's job to egg you on to bid more than your max bid. Stick to your max amount and don't bid further.

Don't allow a reserve amount, or anything else, make you decide a different amount than what it's worth to/for you!!! If it doesn't sell at this auction, it will likely be put up for auction, again later, with a further reduced reserve. Given time, another jointer will show up at another auction, also.

I didn't even know that I had a

"Brown Bear Auction Company" in the area--I'll start keeping an eye on
their inventory.

You can keep an eye on all the auctions in your area, not just this one company. For a calender of sales, type in your zip code and select a distance in miles in the search box. The resulting blue highlighted items are what's in your search parameters. Click onto the blue highlights on the calendar.
http://www.auctionzip.com/
Sometimes, pictures (or more pictures) aren't available until a day or 2 before a sale.... common with consignment items.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3480305745.html

I apologize. And no, the ad is not mine.

OOPS, that was the wrong one.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/tls/3453735753.html

Not sure how that happened...

I thought the saying was "Beauty is in the eye of the Beerholder".

--
G.W. Ross

One way to stop a runaway horse is to
bet on him.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

You offer plenty of sage advise, and it's good to be reminded... I've
attended quite a few auctions and made more than a couple mistakes at
them in the last few years, but on the average I've come out okay. Most
of my mistakes follow seeing something for the first time while it's on
the auction stand. Those items I've had a chance to look at closely,
and consider, resulted in fewer "mistakes".

One feature of this 6" jointer, with a 46" bed, is that it is 205 pounds
and I can probably get it in the car. Of course, it's (only) 1 HP too.
Someone told me the reserve is $200. A mobile base and new blades, if
the blades are necessary, bring that to $300, at least. As previously
mentioned, a new one, already having a mobile base is $500. So, in view
of these things, it doesn't seem like as much of a bargain, though part
of me still wants to lunge.

The outlay for a new 8", 550 pound, 3HP jointer, with 69" bed is $1039,
delivered ($39 for liftgate service). It already has a mobile base too.

I don't know from experience, but the popular opinion seems to be that
the extra HP makes a significant difference (and that is the one which
has been on my "wish list" for a few months--Grizzly G0490). I'm sure
some would pay another $275 for the spiral cutting head. But one can
always add it on later.

My wife hinted that she would like a new ring--to complement her wedding
and engagement ring. As much as I don't like to admit it, it's hard to
argue (with myself) that the first $300 shouldn't go towards that.
Without her help, I would have time to make any sawdust.

Cheers,
Bill

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

One feature of this 6" jointer, with a 46" bed, is that it is 205 pounds
and I can probably get it in the car.

You might have a rough time getting that in and out of a car, Bill. Let me know if you want to
borrow my truck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Bill wrote in :

One feature of this 6" jointer, with a 46" bed, is that it is 205 pounds
and I can probably get it in the car.

You might have a rough time getting that in and out of a car, Bill. Let me know if you want to
borrow my truck.

Thank you, Doug! Maybe I can take a rain-check? Let's see if it shows
up for auction again next week.

FWIW, Sonny's lead allowed me a few steps further in my knowledge about
jointers. I learned how to adjust the blades on this on--at least I got
the "book knowledge".

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

How about this 8" Grizzly, in Elizabethtown, if it's still available. If so, maybe rent a small trailer.
http://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/3390630578.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:43:31 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
How about this 8" Grizzly, in Elizabethtown, if it's still available. If so, maybe rent a small trailer. http://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/3390630578.html

If it's still available, apparently no one's buying. Offer him $350.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/18/12 5:58 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:43:31 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
How about this 8" Grizzly, in Elizabethtown, if it's still available. If so, maybe rent a small trailer. http://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/3390630578.html

If it's still available, apparently no one's buying. Offer him $350.

Are you kidding? He probably listed at $400, hoping to get $300.
Offer $250 and let him counter.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:43:31 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
How about this 8" Grizzly, in Elizabethtown, if it's still available. If so, maybe rent a small trailer. http://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/3390630578.html

If it's still available, apparently no one's buying. Offer him $350.

The jointer looks like a dandy, Sonny!

It saddened me to find out that it's a 300 mile round trip.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:12:42 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:
Are you kidding? He probably listed at $400, hoping to get $300. Offer $250 and let him counter. -- -MIKE-

Yep! Much more sensible.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:36:20 -0500, Bill wrote:

Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:43:31 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
How about this 8" Grizzly, in Elizabethtown, if it's still available. If so, maybe rent a small trailer. http://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/3390630578.html

If it's still available, apparently no one's buying. Offer him $350.

The jointer looks like a dandy, Sonny!

It saddened me to find out that it's a 300 mile round trip.

Offer him an extra $50 to deliver it. vbg

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/20/2012 11:17 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
The jointer looks like a dandy, Sonny!

It saddened me to find out that it's a 300 mile round trip.

300 miles is about a 6 hour trip. That is one day. Leave early about 6
in the morning, be there by noon, and get home by 9pm that night.

I rented a 2012 Chevy Silvarado recently and drove it 700 miles from
Kent Ohio, south to east of Raleigh for $100 to the rental company and
about 50 dollars worth of gas. If it were a smaller truck, and a
weekend or other type of special rate the cost would be lower.

So assuming that you make the trip on a weekend, there would be no job
to worry about. Take a picnic lunch and stop at some pretty spot for
you and your significant other to have a picnic. You would have a day
to see a new part of the country. If you like take a large grandson to
help manhandle the saw.

So the question comes down to; "Is the Joiner worth the $550 investment".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/20/2012 10:49 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 12/20/2012 11:17 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
The jointer looks like a dandy, Sonny!

It saddened me to find out that it's a 300 mile round trip.

300 miles is about a 6 hour trip. That is one day. Leave early about 6
in the morning, be there by noon, and get home by 9pm that night.

Round trip, not each way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/20/2012 11:55 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/20/2012 10:49 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 12/20/2012 11:17 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
The jointer looks like a dandy, Sonny!

It saddened me to find out that it's a 300 mile round trip.

300 miles is about a 6 hour trip. That is one day. Leave early about 6
in the morning, be there by noon, and get home by 9pm that night.

Round trip, not each way.

The idea was to have a pleasant day, and when you are near the joiner
pick it up, and continue to have fun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/20/2012 11:06 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 12/20/2012 11:55 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/20/2012 10:49 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 12/20/2012 11:17 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
The jointer looks like a dandy, Sonny!

It saddened me to find out that it's a 300 mile round trip.

300 miles is about a 6 hour trip. That is one day. Leave early about 6
in the morning, be there by noon, and get home by 9pm that night.

Round trip, not each way.

The idea was to have a pleasant day, and when you are near the joiner
pick it up, and continue to have fun.

And here I was thinking that the pleasant part of a 300 mile trip was
finishing the 300 mile trip... ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I didn't want to post something way out of his way.... I did that once before concerning a table saw, across the border, in Dayton, Ohio (I think it was)...., so I did a MapQuest search checking locations nearer to him. I thought he lives in Indianapolis and, according to MapQuest, Elizabethtown is 52 miles south of Indy. I thought, if he lives just north of Indy, maybe add another 20-25 miles. That round trip would be about 150 miles.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

And here I was thinking that the pleasant part of a 300 mile trip was
finishing the 300 mile trip... ;~)

Preach it brother! Screw that scenic stuff...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/20/2012 12:35 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

And here I was thinking that the pleasant part of a 300 mile trip was
finishing the 300 mile trip... ;~)

Preach it brother! Screw that scenic stuff...

I like the scenery but a 150 mile one way trip overs territory that has
been traveled countless times in the last 40 years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
Well, I didn't want to post something way out of his way.... I did
that once before concerning a table saw, across the border, in
Dayton, Ohio (I think it was)...., so I did a MapQuest search
checking locations nearer to him. I thought he lives in Indianapolis
and, according to MapQuest, Elizabethtown is 52 miles south of Indy.
I thought, if he lives just north of Indy, maybe add another 20-25
miles. That round trip would be about 150 miles.

Sonny

Thanks, as always, Sonny. At first, I thought that the distance was too
far either, then after a few minutes I realized that there is a
Elizabethtown, IN AND an Elizabethtown, KY!

I already checked that the rental of a pickup truck is $20+.60/mile +
gas + blah, blah, which I believe wold exceed $300 for transportation.
So by the time that is factored in, the price of a new one, delivered
($1000) doesn't look like much more. I looked up the price of a used
pick up truck (which I wouldn't mind having), but from my brief
investigation they seem out of my range. I'm naive about what is
available, but I'll work on that (someday).

Cheers,
Bill

BEAUTY GUIDE [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 18th 08 04:30 AM
BEAUTY GUIDE [email protected] Woodturning 0 January 17th 08 08:36 AM
Photo beauty spa [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 26th 07 09:54 AM
BATHING BEAUTY J T Woodworking 0 February 27th 07 11:31 PM
House should be beauty ImageMagicLeader Home Ownership 0 February 2nd 07 02:36 PM