Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grip-Tite Featherboard Design Flaw?....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhkgeYvqljc

This video is a review of the Grip-Tite Featherboard for the table saw.
Watch when he goes to push the stock through the blade. The editing
conveniently cuts the shot right before he has to push past the blade.
The handle on the featherboard attached to the fence is completely
blocking his push shoe.

Of course, this is the same guy who posted the video demonstrating
kickback and almost lost a digit in the process. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2012 6:05 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhkgeYvqljc

This video is a review of the Grip-Tite Featherboard for the table saw.
Watch when he goes to push the stock through the blade. The editing
conveniently cuts the shot right before he has to push past the blade.
The handle on the featherboard attached to the fence is completely
blocking his push shoe.

Of course, this is the same guy who posted the video demonstrating
kickback and almost lost a digit in the process. :-)

I have one grip tite. I don't use it much, but occasional. I found that
it interfered with my push stick/shoe, or gripper.

I don't have the roller. I think it is a decent setup. I will say when I
do use it, it comes in handy, so like anything else, every tool, it's
how you use it, and what it solves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2012 5:05 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhkgeYvqljc

This video is a review of the Grip-Tite Featherboard for the table saw.
Watch when he goes to push the stock through the blade. The editing
conveniently cuts the shot right before he has to push past the blade.
The handle on the featherboard attached to the fence is completely
blocking his push shoe.

Of course, this is the same guy who posted the video demonstrating
kickback and almost lost a digit in the process. :-)

FWIW I bought the same set up with the steel fence attachment several
years ago at the WW show. I kept it for a few days and returned it.
For the typical Bies T style fence that does not lock down in the back I
found that the fence would lift when used in that capacity to hold the
work down. Additionally I found that those "L" shaped feathers would
mar soft wood. They are more trouble to adjust as the magnet grabs
quick. There is a lever for breaking the contact to metal surfaces so
that you can move it but you almost have to use it in reverse to place
the tool in the correct position also.

As a feather board it worked pretty well but really needs a switchable
magnet like the competition so that you can place it and turn on the
magnet. I was not at all impressed with the L shaped hold down, there
is no way to adjust it's height.

YMMV