Shirley Jones

Default Whirlpool Dryers: Design Flaw?

I have a Whirlpool dryer and the motor just went out for the second
time. I have a technician friend who says that these dryers, with the
lint screen down by the door, collect a lot of lint, and this wrecks
the motor. He says this is also a safety hazard because lint can
collect and can combust. He also says that other brands of dryers,
and even the other type that Whirlpool makes, don't do this, just the
ones with the lint screen down by the door. And finally, he says that
many Kenmore dryers have this same design.

So, I am wondering if this is a common problem for all of you out
there, and if this has caused you problems. After all, if this is
common, then you would wonder why Whirlpool doesn't do something about
it.

Bye!

Shirley
Rich

I have a 20 year old GE dryer with the lint screen just under the door. No
fires yet and no motor problems. I have other problems but this isn't the
group for that!! LOL

Rich

"Shirley Jones" wrote in message
om...
I have a Whirlpool dryer and the motor just went out for the second
time. I have a technician friend who says that these dryers, with the
lint screen down by the door, collect a lot of lint, and this wrecks
the motor. He says this is also a safety hazard because lint can
collect and can combust. He also says that other brands of dryers,
and even the other type that Whirlpool makes, don't do this, just the
ones with the lint screen down by the door. And finally, he says that
many Kenmore dryers have this same design.

So, I am wondering if this is a common problem for all of you out
there, and if this has caused you problems. After all, if this is
common, then you would wonder why Whirlpool doesn't do something about
it.

Bye!

Shirley

Art

My 7 year old maytag has screen below door. Annoying because it does not
clip in securely and if you are sloppy when pulling out the clothes you can
pull out screen too and get lint all over clothes. But the motor is fine.

[...]

Johnny Z

"Shirley Jones" wrote in message
I have a Whirlpool dryer and the motor just went out for the second
time. I have a technician friend who says that these dryers, with the
lint screen down by the door, collect a lot of lint, and this wrecks
the motor. He says this is also a safety hazard because lint can
collect and can combust. He also says that other brands of dryers,
and even the other type that Whirlpool makes, don't do this, just the
ones with the lint screen down by the door. And finally, he says that
many Kenmore dryers have this same design.

So, I am wondering if this is a common problem for all of you out
there, and if this has caused you problems. After all, if this is
common, then you would wonder why Whirlpool doesn't do something about
it.

Bye!

Shirley

It's doing exactly what it is designed to do, collect a lot of lint. Lint
left clogging the filter is a fire hazard, it should be cleaned after every
use. Not to be sarcastic here, but you can't expect a representative of
Whirlpool to come over and clean the lint. You should also clean the vent
exhaust piping regularly regardless of make or model or expect a fire to
occur.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Shirley Jones" wrote in message
om...
I have a Whirlpool dryer and the motor just went out for the second
time. I have a technician friend who says that these dryers, with the
lint screen down by the door, collect a lot of lint, and this wrecks
the motor.

So, I am wondering if this is a common problem for all of you out
there, and if this has caused you problems. After all, if this is
common, then you would wonder why Whirlpool doesn't do something about
it.

My 23 year old Maytag has the filter down by the door. No fires, original
motor.

An dryer can overheat if the filter is not cleaned after each use, plus it
wastes a lot of energy. I don't see where it is a flaw at all.
Ed

Banister Stairwell

"Shirley Jones" wrote in message
om...
I have a Whirlpool dryer and the motor just went out for the second
time. I have a technician friend who says that these dryers, with the
lint screen down by the door, collect a lot of lint, and this wrecks
the motor. He says this is also a safety hazard because lint can
collect and can combust. He also says that other brands of dryers,
and even the other type that Whirlpool makes, don't do this, just the
ones with the lint screen down by the door. And finally, he says that
many Kenmore dryers have this same design.

I'm assuming you have an electric dryer.

http://fixitnow.com/appliantology/dryerfire.htm#_top

The dryer in the photo is a Whirlpool (or Kenmore - made by Whirlpool) dryer
of the type you most likely have; hence, the reason for your technician
friend's comments about the safety hazard. The heating element assembly is
located in the bottom right hand side of the dryer. Over time, lint settles
on this assembly. If there isn't enough air flow thru the dryer (as would
be the case with a plugged vent or lint filter), this assembly can overheat
and ignite the lint that's settled on it.

If it makes you feel better, I own this exact design Kenmore dryer and have
never had a problem. Just make sure you clean the lint filter after *ever*
dryer load and keep the dryer vent clean and unobstructed.

If you're really concerned, just open the dryer up (obviously, disconnect
the power first) and remove the loose lint inside with a shop vacuum. Pay
special attention to remove the lint that has settled on the heating element
assembly. And you may as well clean the blower impeller while your at it.
Accumulated lint on the vanes can lower its efficiency and reduce airflow.

jeff

"Shirley Jones" wrote in message
om...
I have a Whirlpool dryer and the motor just went out for the second
time. I have a technician friend who says that these dryers, with the
lint screen down by the door, collect a lot of lint, and this wrecks
the motor. He says this is also a safety hazard because lint can
collect and can combust. He also says that other brands of dryers,
and even the other type that Whirlpool makes, don't do this, just the
ones with the lint screen down by the door. And finally, he says that
many Kenmore dryers have this same design.

Hi,

Any dryer can/will collect lint inside, some sometimes seem to be
better than others at preventing it....also maintenance is
important.....cleaning out the venting system every 1-2 years,
cleaning out the inside inside of the dryer every 2-5 years depending
on useage. Type of venting used can also contribute to the collection
of link inside the dryer.

Pictured is the dryer before we cleaned it and the danger involved in
using the white vinyl venting. I say it again. If you have the white
vinyl venting on your dryer, redo the vent with good pipe and save
your self lots of dollars in power savings and maybe even save your
life from a burnt house. There are many aluminum semi-rigid, flexible,
rigid products that does a good job in venting. Use the white vinyl
stuff if you insist, but don't be surprised when problems occur.
Picture of the dryer (
http://www.applianceaid.com/newimage...burnt-lint.jpg ). These
folks were lucky!! They were right on the verge of a major fire.
Reference model 110.66901690

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Shirley Jones

Banister's picture is exactly what I am talking about. My friend says
that Whirlpool dryers with the lint screen in the door area have very
poor airflow design, and they trap lint in the motor area much more
than any other brand or design on the market today. He says this is a
design flaw, and that there is no fix for it. My dryer is hooked to
just a 3 foot tube direct to the outside, and I clean my lint screen
before every use. Even with this care, there was an inch of lint in
the bottom of the dryer.

Shirley
Rich

"Shirley Jones" wrote in message
om...
Banister's picture is exactly what I am talking about. My friend says
that Whirlpool dryers with the lint screen in the door area have very
poor airflow design, and they trap lint in the motor area much more
than any other brand or design on the market today. He says this is a
design flaw, and that there is no fix for it. My dryer is hooked to
just a 3 foot tube direct to the outside, and I clean my lint screen
before every use. Even with this care, there was an inch of lint in
the bottom of the dryer.

Shirley

Well then don't buy a Whirlpool. Done

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mark L., kc wrote:
Experts agree with the dryer lint cleaning schedule and advice Jeff provided:

:"Any dryer can/will collect lint inside, some sometimes seem to be better
than others at preventing it....also maintenance is important.....cleaning out
the venting system every 1-2 years, cleaning out the inside inside of the
dryer every 2-5 years depending on useage. Type of venting used can also
contribute to the collection of link inside the dryer."

My 1996 Kenmore (Whirlpool made) dryer had a motor failure in 2005 due to an
accumulation of lint in the dryer cabinet. And that lint accumulated even with
the lint screen being cleared after every use. I replaced the motor, and it
has been problem free for 15 years. The difference may be that after that
first motor failure, I added an every other year (sometimes yearly depending
on dryer usage) opening of the dryer cabinet, removing the drum, and vacuuming
of the accumulated lint from the interior of the cabinet.

That dryer is still in use 24 years after being put into service. The lint
trap housing develops a coating of lint that makes the dryer less efficient
and probably a fire hazard, too. I remove the housing and clear the
accumulated lint with fine steel wool while I have the dryer cabinet opened up.

And yes, I see that I am updating an old thread. I found the page via a web
search today, so others will probably come across it, too.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...aw-544520-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 14:44:02 +0000, kc
m wrote:

replying to Mark L., kc wrote:
[...]

Part of the problem is the drum seal wears out allowing lint to escape
into the cabinet.
Those dryer sheets everyone likes will coat the venting the system and
cause the lint to stick, building up there.