Posted to alt.home.repair
kc[_5_] kc[_5_] is offline

Default Whirlpool Dryers: Design Flaw?

replying to Mark L., kc wrote:
Experts agree with the dryer lint cleaning schedule and advice Jeff provided:

:"Any dryer can/will collect lint inside, some sometimes seem to be better
than others at preventing it....also maintenance is important.....cleaning out
the venting system every 1-2 years, cleaning out the inside inside of the
dryer every 2-5 years depending on useage. Type of venting used can also
contribute to the collection of link inside the dryer."

My 1996 Kenmore (Whirlpool made) dryer had a motor failure in 2005 due to an
accumulation of lint in the dryer cabinet. And that lint accumulated even with
the lint screen being cleared after every use. I replaced the motor, and it
has been problem free for 15 years. The difference may be that after that
first motor failure, I added an every other year (sometimes yearly depending
on dryer usage) opening of the dryer cabinet, removing the drum, and vacuuming
of the accumulated lint from the interior of the cabinet.

That dryer is still in use 24 years after being put into service. The lint
trap housing develops a coating of lint that makes the dryer less efficient
and probably a fire hazard, too. I remove the housing and clear the
accumulated lint with fine steel wool while I have the dryer cabinet opened up.

And yes, I see that I am updating an old thread. I found the page via a web
search today, so others will probably come across it, too.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...aw-544520-.htm