Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building a Bartley kit

I inherited Bartley wall cabinet kit 0070 without instructions.

Appears to be complete except for the glass, which is easily sourced.

Not having assemble such a kit, or other piece of furniture - is the finishing done before
or after assembly?

Understand penetration of the finish will be impeded where the glue squeezes out and
penetrates the wood surface.

If anyone has the instructions for Bartley kit 0070 please advise as I would like to get a
copy.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2012 11:02 AM, Doug Hortvet wrote:
Bartley kit 0070

DAGS "Bartley" ... it's that simple.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

DAGS "Bartley" ... it's that simple.

You must have a different Google search.

I got 4,100 useless hits.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2012 2:04 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:

DAGS "Bartley" ... it's that simple.

You must have a different Google search.

I got 4,100 useless hits.

Lew

Yea Google is not what it used to be when they first came out.
Back then you actually got information. These days you get mostly ads
and useless junk... And yes info... but when they started you really got
right to the heart of your search fast. That's what was missing in the
other search engines.

Now they are no better than anyone else.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2012 1:04 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:

DAGS "Bartley" ... it's that simple.

You must have a different Google search.

I got 4,100 useless hits.

Lew

Actually if you give Google just a touch of help in what you are looking
for,,, like "Bartley furniture"

Your very first hit is the correct one.

http://www.bartleycollection.com/

And then click the Contact Us tab at the top on the right side of the page.

Then email them if you want to ask by email, phone them if you want to
phone them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

DAGS "Bartley" ... it's that simple.

You must have a different Google search.

I got 4,100 useless hits.

Lew

Yea Google is not what it used to be when they first came out.
Back then you actually got information. These days you get mostly ads
and useless junk... And yes info... but when they started you really got
right to the heart of your search fast. That's what was missing in the
other search engines.

Now they are no better than anyone else.

Come on seriously is Google suppose to be a mind reader? LOL

Put crap into your search, get crap out of your search.

Bartely furiniture works extremely well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Actually if you give Google just a touch of help in what you are
looking for,,, like "Bartley furniture"

Your very first hit is the correct one.

http://www.bartleycollection.com/

Ya But "Bartley furniture" was NOT Swingman's instruction,
"Bartley" was.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 12/1/2012 1:04 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Actually if you give Google just a touch of help in what you are looking
for,,, like "Bartley furniture"

Your very first hit is the correct one.

http://www.bartleycollection.com/

And then click the Contact Us tab at the top on the right side of the
page.

Then email them if you want to ask by email, phone them if you want to
phone them.

But it's so much easier when someone else does it for you... ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Actually if you give Google just a touch of help in what you are
looking for,,, like "Bartley furniture"

Your very first hit is the correct one.

http://www.bartleycollection.com/

Ya But "Bartley furniture" was NOT Swingman's instruction,
"Bartley" was.

Actually, "Bartley" was the very first thing up when I posted it from my
laptop this morning, and again just now on my iPad. You just have to know
how to bend technology to your will.

Look at the search string:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...04844371155250
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

DAGS "Bartley" ... it's that simple.

You must have a different Google search.

I got 4,100 useless hits.

Lew

Actually if you give Google just a touch of help in what you are looking
for,,, like "Bartley furniture"

Your very first hit is the correct one.

http://www.bartleycollection.com/

And then click the Contact Us tab at the top on the right side of the page.

Then email them if you want to ask by email, phone them if you want to phone them.

Even better than that, if you click on the Customer Service tab, the very
first thing is Assembly Instructions.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Anyone check Bartley's prices for their _finished_ pieces while there?

Bit surprised to see they're ballpark (slightly less) to what I've been
pricing for more straight forward pieces. IOW, good to see they're not
giving it away.

... hmmm, must be time to adjust upward again.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the information.

I had visited the Barley site - very briefly their guide is to assemble then finish.

Posted to the group to learn what procedures work best for those that are more experienced
in building furniture.

Any comments regarding assembling / finishing are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Doug

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
m...
On 12/1/2012 1:04 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Actually if you give Google just a touch of help in what you are looking
for,,, like "Bartley furniture"

Your very first hit is the correct one.

http://www.bartleycollection.com/

And then click the Contact Us tab at the top on the right side of the
page.

Then email them if you want to ask by email, phone them if you want to
phone them.

But it's so much easier when someone else does it for you... ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/1/2012 5:15 PM, Doug Hortvet wrote:
Thanks for the information.

I had visited the Barley site - very briefly their guide is to assemble then finish.

Posted to the group to learn what procedures work best for those that are more experienced
in building furniture.

Any comments regarding assembling / finishing are greatly appreciated.

Since you seem to be a neophyte my first suggestion would be do as
others have said and contact Bartley and see if they can send you a copy
of the detailed (not the quick and dirty you're looking at on their
website) assembly manual.

As to glue up. Use the minimum amount and apply carefully. Pretend
that you're paying $35/oz for it and you'll do fine.

Glueing/finishing is a double-edge sword. Finish where you need glue is
a problem as anything between the wood and the glue weakens the joint.
Similarly, glue between the wood and the finish screws up the finish.

If you get a bit of glue squeeze out there are two schools of thought:

1) wipe off the excess with a damp cloth immediately, or

2) let it dry without disturbing it and then take a very sharp chisel
or marking knife and take it off.

In both cases, I would then sand lightly to remove any trace of the glue.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, a friend of mine, a lawyer is a wood
butcher as well. Does nice work from what I've seen. His job while
attending law school part-time was a pattern maker for Bartley. He
would disassemble classic pieces and create the patterns for the Bartley
replicas.

Last question, Doug. What the hell is their 0070 kit?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the good advice.

While I have finished single pieces with good results, have never had to assemble using
glue and finish.

The 0070 kit is a wall cabinet - 24" x 18' x 6"; three shelves and a glass door. The kit I
have is mahogany.

While I am no pro at this - do want the end result to be presentable i.e., no blotchy
finish due to glue contamination.

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards,

Doug

Unquestionably Confused wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Actually if you give Google just a touch of help in what you are
looking for,,, like "Bartley furniture"

Your very first hit is the correct one.

http://www.bartleycollection.com/

Ya But "Bartley furniture" was NOT Swingman's instruction,
"Bartley" was.

Lew

Actually Bartely by itself yielded the same result.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon" wrote:

Actually Bartely by itself yielded the same result.

You also must have a different Google search.

See above.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2012 11:00 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

You also must have a different Google search.

Just so you are aware, The results of Google searches are no longer
generic and are "personalized" based on your browsing history, location,
social media participation, clicks, and any other data that can be
gleaned from your ip address, and GPS/ cell tower triangulation if
you're using a voice/data device.

If you're using Google's Chrome browser you supposedly can turn this
"personalized" search results off ... or they lead you to believe that
you can.

You have to assume that even if you use vpn, the location of the vpn
server will likely result in some personalization of Google searches.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon" wrote:

Actually Bartely by itself yielded the same result.

You also must have a different Google search.

See above.

Lew

Ok, you have to make sure that the search is only on "Bartely" and not
any of the possible suggested Bartely phrases that drop down from the
suggested search box.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Just so you are aware, The results of Google searches are no longer
generic and are "personalized" based on your browsing history,
location, social media participation, clicks, and any other data
that can be gleaned from your ip address, and GPS/ cell tower
triangulation if you're using a voice/data device.

If you're using Google's Chrome browser you supposedly can turn this
"personalized" search results off ... or they lead you to believe
that you can.

You have to assume that even if you use vpn, the location of the vpn
server will likely result in some personalization of Google
searches.

Orwell's 1984 almost 40 years later.

Since I refuse to have an electronic nursemaid (cell phone), I must be
a major disappointment to them.

Thk's

Lew