Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Deer hunting success, Part II

SWMBO shot a good-size doe this morning. Field-dressed weight 111 pounds.

Guess we won't have to buy any beef at the grocery this year.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO shot a good-size doe this morning. Field-dressed weight 111
pounds.

Guess we won't have to buy any beef at the grocery this year.

Congratulations again!

I do like venison, but it's never been able to overcome my love of dead cow.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:k8bko1$j69$1@dont-
email.me:

Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO shot a good-size doe this morning. Field-dressed weight 111
pounds.

Guess we won't have to buy any beef at the grocery this year.

Congratulations again!

I do like venison, but it's never been able to overcome my love of dead cow.

It's all in the preparation. If you like spicy food (not necessarily *hot* spicy), then venison is
just the ticket, substituted for goat or lamb in Middle Eastern or Indian recipes. It's pretty
good on the grill, too, mesquite-smoked and cooked really rare. We substitute it for beef in
a lot of dishes, too. You can use ground venison just about anywhere you'd use ground
beef. The only real exception is hamburger patties: there's just not enough fat in venison to
hold them together.

I'm pretty fond of dead cow too, but I'm even more fond of staying alive, considering my
family history of heart disease (which includes a grandfather who died at 64, and an uncle
who had his first(!) heart attack at 39). I've eaten beef maybe five times in the last year, and
my total cholesterol is in the 150s.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO shot a good-size doe this morning. Field-dressed weight 111
pounds.

Guess we won't have to buy any beef at the grocery this year.

Congratulations again!

I do like venison, but it's never been able to overcome my love of dead cow.

It's all in the preparation. If you like spicy food (not necessarily *hot* spicy), then venison is
just the ticket, substituted for goat or lamb in Middle Eastern or Indian recipes. It's pretty
good on the grill, too, mesquite-smoked and cooked really rare. We substitute it for beef in
a lot of dishes, too. You can use ground venison just about anywhere you'd use ground
beef. The only real exception is hamburger patties: there's just not enough fat in venison to
hold them together.

I have known butchers to add beef fat to the venison while grinding
deer-burger. I don't know any details.

I'm pretty fond of dead cow too, but I'm even more fond of staying alive, considering my
family history of heart disease (which includes a grandfather who died at 64, and an uncle
who had his first(!) heart attack at 39). I've eaten beef maybe five times in the last year, and
my total cholesterol is in the 150s.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote in
:

It's all in the preparation. If you like spicy food (not necessarily
*hot* spicy), then venison is just the ticket, substituted for goat or
lamb in Middle Eastern or Indian recipes. It's pretty good on the
grill, too, mesquite-smoked and cooked really rare. We substitute it
for beef in a lot of dishes, too. You can use ground venison just
about anywhere you'd use ground beef. The only real exception is
hamburger patties: there's just not enough fat in venison to hold them
together.

*snip*

The ones I have had have cooked up just fine, but usually split into two
or three pieces. Going to a heavier piece of bread supports the sandwich
just fine.

I used some ground venison in spaghetti once, and there was a definate
taste difference. It was different, but still good.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
email.me:

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

We're pretty good with the preparation. We've been eating venison all of
our lives and at one point for a couple of years, it was almost the only
meat we lived on. Fortunately for us, I had a freezer full of it and
restocked it during the next hunting season. Venison does have a different
taste though, that preparation just can't get past. I don't dislike it, but
I don't like it as much as beef.

There are a couple of exceptions though, that are regular treats of mine. I
like to shave some into very thin slices to use for Philly Steak Sandwiches.
Fry up some onions, lay on the garlic powder and salt and pepper (I have to
sneak the salt in...), pile it high on a couple of slices of bread, and
you're just good to go. I have a commercial meat slicer so slicing it up
takes only a few minutes when butchering.

The other is a good summer sausage. Well - any kind of sausage. I've make
breakfast sausage, sweet and hot Italian sausage, summer sausage - the
works. I do mix in a small amount pork fat in or else it just dries out too
much. The sausages are almost impossible to discern from the real pork
varieties.

I'm sure by now you and the wife have already enjoyed your first plate of
loin...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/2012 3:12 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO shot a good-size doe this morning. Field-dressed weight 111 pounds.

Guess we won't have to buy any beef at the grocery this year.

Aw-right!

I bought a Crossman break-barrel pellet gun this evening.
(And 6000 rounds of ammo)

We have a squirrel getting into the attic.
I asked him politely to relocate or pay rent.

No rent. He's still here.

So...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

The place we take our deer to will do that if we ask.

We don't ask.
Posted to rec.woodworking

in 1542597 20121119 010048 Richard wrote:
On 11/18/2012 3:12 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO shot a good-size doe this morning. Field-dressed weight 111 pounds.

Guess we won't have to buy any beef at the grocery this year.

Aw-right!

I bought a Crossman break-barrel pellet gun this evening.
(And 6000 rounds of ammo)

We have a squirrel getting into the attic.
I asked him politely to relocate or pay rent.

No rent. He's still here.

So...

Many years ago I chased a squirrel out of the loft and blocked the access hole.
Next time I went up there I found the bodies of three baby squirrels.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/19/2012 1:01 AM, Bob Martin wrote:
in 1542597 20121119 010048 wrote:
On 11/18/2012 3:12 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO shot a good-size doe this morning. Field-dressed weight 111 pounds.

Guess we won't have to buy any beef at the grocery this year.

Aw-right!

I bought a Crossman break-barrel pellet gun this evening.
(And 6000 rounds of ammo)

We have a squirrel getting into the attic.
I asked him politely to relocate or pay rent.

No rent. He's still here.

So...

Many years ago I chased a squirrel out of the loft and blocked the access hole.
Next time I went up there I found the bodies of three baby squirrels.

That's three less fancy rats chewing up the house...

OT -- deer hunting success Doug Miller[_4_] Woodworking 41 November 23rd 12 11:41 PM
OT - Globalization - Computer Migration - Software Upgrading - part THREE -SUCCESS!(sort of) charlieb Woodworking 2 June 5th 08 04:31 AM
hello deer TRMF4445 Metalworking 2 March 20th 08 01:19 PM
The clear success of Part P Andy Wade UK diy 63 November 27th 06 06:39 PM
Deer antler alysonsdad Woodturning 18 December 28th 05 02:55 PM