Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default OT - Deer hunting success, Part II

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:k8bko1$j69$1@dont-
email.me:

Doug Miller wrote:
SWMBO shot a good-size doe this morning. Field-dressed weight 111
pounds.

Guess we won't have to buy any beef at the grocery this year.

Congratulations again!

I do like venison, but it's never been able to overcome my love of dead cow.

It's all in the preparation. If you like spicy food (not necessarily *hot* spicy), then venison is
just the ticket, substituted for goat or lamb in Middle Eastern or Indian recipes. It's pretty
good on the grill, too, mesquite-smoked and cooked really rare. We substitute it for beef in
a lot of dishes, too. You can use ground venison just about anywhere you'd use ground
beef. The only real exception is hamburger patties: there's just not enough fat in venison to
hold them together.

I'm pretty fond of dead cow too, but I'm even more fond of staying alive, considering my
family history of heart disease (which includes a grandfather who died at 64, and an uncle
who had his first(!) heart attack at 39). I've eaten beef maybe five times in the last year, and
my total cholesterol is in the 150s.