Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting 3.5" foam insulation board

Any ideers?

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, November 2, 2012 6:16:28 PM UTC-6, JayPique wrote:
Any ideers? JP

I use a manual and electric knife for cutting various upholstery foams and use 781 dry silicone to help the knife glide through the foam easily. I don't know about foam insulation. Might try some 781 dry silicone to help the knife glide through the insulation. Should be available at your local upholstery supplier - http://www.perfectfit.com/24783/2472...one-Spray.html Just whisk a light coating onto the knife blade and cut away. Respray the blade periodically/after several cuttings..

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JayPique" wrote in message
Any ideers?

JP

A hot wire cutter or an electric carving knife.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JayPique" wrote in message
Any ideers?

JP

As suggested, a hot wire or the multifunction tool with a straight scraper
blade.Works like a charm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 17:16:27 -0700 (PDT), JayPique
wrote:

Any ideers?

JP

Hot wire is best, bandsaw is good, electric knife works, handsaw works
well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Score it with a razor knife then snap it.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/WOODPROJECTS

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 17:16:27 -0700 (PDT), JayPique
wrote:

Any ideers?

Depending on the type of foam and shapes you need: CNC router, angle
grinder with flap disc, and/or hot wire cutter.

A handheld router, scroll saw, or coping saw work in a pinch, too.

If you're really dextrous, try a katana. Please film it if you do.

BTW, I love your question. It reminds me of people who would call the
body shop on the phone and ask for an estimate for their collision
damage with "It's a blue Chevy, I think." as the entire details.
sigh

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/2/2012 7:16 PM, JayPique wrote:
Any ideers?

JP

Might be helpful to know how accurately you need to cut it. Coping saw,
circular saw, knife, etc all work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree w/ Puckdropper. I have made my own hotwire cutter the same way.
Also a kitchen knife works ok. I have a jig saw blade that is basially a
razor blade. You can make your own by taking a carbon steel blade and
using a belt sander to put a blade on. I would try the silicone spray,
or teflon spray too on a kitchen knife or jig saw blade.. don't re-use
the kitchen knife after that.

On 11/2/2012 11:17 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
JayPique wrote in news:0124da3f-f281-46ad-9165-
:

Any ideers?

JP

Depends on how big of mess you want to make. A serated knife will cut
through foam effectively, but creates a bunch of static charged dust that
gets all over the place.

A long thin (really thin) non-serated blade will make less mess, but at
the expense of signifcantly increased drag as you try to cut through the
material. A sharp and honed blade does help quite a bit.

A hot wire foam cutter would be the next best thing. If you make your
own, you can do it for a fraction of the cost of the commercial ones. I
used a model train set transformer and some replacement hot-wire tool
wire (from the hobby shop) as the base of mine. The wire needs to be
stretched between a couple of posts for straight cuts, but that's easy
enough from a woodworking standpoint. If you're interested, I can point
you to more detailed instructions.

For carving, a SurForm rasp does a great job at making a mess and a good
job at carving.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/2/12 7:16 PM, JayPique wrote:
Any ideers?

JP

Rigid? Utility blade-- score and snap.
Soft? I've never seen soft foam insulation board. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On Friday, November 2, 2012 6:16:28 PM UTC-6, JayPique wrote:
Any ideers? JP

I use a manual and electric knife for cutting various upholstery foams and use 781 dry silicone to help the knife glide through the foam easily. I don't know about foam insulation. Might try some 781 dry silicone to help the knife glide through the insulation. Should be available at your local upholstery supplier -
http://www.perfectfit.com/24783/2472...one-Spray.html Just whisk a light coating onto the knife blade and cut away.
Respray the blade periodically/after several cuttings.

At home I just plop foam insulation down on the table saw and treat it
like wood. Helps to have a big cyclone dust collector.

When I'm not at home a snap blade knife does fine--the kind that
DoItBest sells for 3 bucks.
http://www.doitbest.com/Utility+and+...it+Best-model-
314196-doitbest-sku-314196.dib

Never thought to try lubing the blade--next time I have foam to cut I
may try some bowling alley wax on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JayPique" wrote in message
Any ideers?

JP

For thin stuff a long, sharp, thin bladed knife. For thicker stuff a
handsaw.

What do you call a blind deer?
No idea

What do you call a blind deer with no legs?
Still no idea

What do you call a blind deer with no legs and is bleeding.
Still no bl**dy idea.

I'll get my coat.

Nick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/12 10:48 AM, Nick wrote:
I'll get my coat.

LOL! stolen.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article ,
says...

[...]

JP,
A hot wire works great on ridgid insulation foam. You can do very detailed
work. At that thickness, it may be slower than you like, though. DON'T use
it on polyurethane foams - makes toxic fumes.
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 05:27:00 -0700, J. Clarke wrote
(in article ocal):

In article ,
says...

http://www.perfectfit.com/24783/2472...-Dry-Silicone-
Spray.html Just whisk a light coating onto the knife blade and cut away.

Respray the blade periodically/after several cuttings.

At home I just plop foam insulation down on the table saw and treat it
like wood. Helps to have a big cyclone dust collector.

When I'm not at home a snap blade knife does fine--the kind that
DoItBest sells for 3 bucks.
http://www.doitbest.com/Utility+and+...it+Best-model-
314196-doitbest-sku-314196.dib

Never thought to try lubing the blade--next time I have foam to cut I
may try some bowling alley wax on it.

There is a free video on finehomebuilding.com where the guy swears by a wide
putty knife. He shows it cutting 1" (or so) foam board, but it might apply to
the thicker stuff

FWIW
-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bruce wrote in :

There is a free video on finehomebuilding.com where the guy swears by
a wide putty knife. He shows it cutting 1" (or so) foam board, but it
might apply to the thicker stuff

FWIW
-BR

Curious... I would think it would tear and grab. If you sharpened the
edges, it might cut through nicely.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/12 11:31 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Bruce wrote in :

There is a free video on finehomebuilding.com where the guy swears by
a wide putty knife. He shows it cutting 1" (or so) foam board, but it
might apply to the thicker stuff

FWIW
-BR

Curious... I would think it would tear and grab. If you sharpened the
edges, it might cut through nicely.

Puckdropper

Depends on the "foam."
Putty knives work great on some rigid without sharpening and not great
on other stuff without sharpening.
I'm still not convinced everyone in this thread is talking about rigid
foam when offering their opinions.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 17:16:27 -0700 (PDT), JayPique
wrote:

Any ideers?

JP

Propane torch and a old cheap kitchen knife.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 2, 7:34*pm, "Artemus" wrote:
"JayPique" wrote in message

Any ideers?

JP

A hot wire cutter or an electric carving knife.
Art

Hot wire works beautifully with a jig or template. Cuts
equally well in all directions, IOW a mother to control
freehanded. Smells like burning styrofoam, best done
outside.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 7:30*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Friday, November 2, 2012 6:16:28 PM UTC-6, JayPique wrote:
Any ideers? JP

I use a manual and electric knife for cutting various upholstery foams and use 781 dry silicone to help the knife glide through the foam easily. * I don't know about foam insulation. *Might try some 781 dry silicone to help the knife glide through the insulation. *Should be available at your local upholstery supplier -http://www.perfectfit.com/24783/247264/Upholstery-Adhesives/VS-Dry-Si...*Just whisk a light coating onto the knife blade and cut away.

Respray the blade periodically/after several cuttings.

At home I just plop foam insulation down on the table saw and treat it
like wood. *Helps to have a big cyclone dust collector.

When I'm not at home a snap blade knife does fine--the kind that
DoItBest sells for 3 bucks.
http://www.doitbest.com/Utility+and+...it+Best-model-
314196-doitbest-sku-314196.dib

Never thought to try lubing the blade--next time I have foam to cut I
may try some bowling alley wax on it.

Paste wax works fine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 08:34:21 -0700, Bruce wrote:

[...]

For 1", use a nice little linoleum (or other hawkbilled) knife.

http://tinyurl.com/a8gck47
http://tinyurl.com/bfgu6vw Firefighter kerambit (in my truck)
http://tinyurl.com/a2besvd rigging knife (in my backpack)

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our