Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Cutting 3.5" foam insulation board

On Nov 4, 7:30*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Friday, November 2, 2012 6:16:28 PM UTC-6, JayPique wrote:
Any ideers? JP

I use a manual and electric knife for cutting various upholstery foams and use 781 dry silicone to help the knife glide through the foam easily. * I don't know about foam insulation. *Might try some 781 dry silicone to help the knife glide through the insulation. *Should be available at your local upholstery supplier -http://www.perfectfit.com/24783/247264/Upholstery-Adhesives/VS-Dry-Si...*Just whisk a light coating onto the knife blade and cut away.

Respray the blade periodically/after several cuttings.

At home I just plop foam insulation down on the table saw and treat it
like wood. *Helps to have a big cyclone dust collector.

When I'm not at home a snap blade knife does fine--the kind that
DoItBest sells for 3 bucks.
http://www.doitbest.com/Utility+and+...it+Best-model-
314196-doitbest-sku-314196.dib

Never thought to try lubing the blade--next time I have foam to cut I
may try some bowling alley wax on it.

Paste wax works fine.