Posted to rec.woodworking
Kerry Montgomery[_2_] Kerry Montgomery[_2_] is offline

Default Cutting 3.5" foam insulation board

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article ,
says...

On Friday, November 2, 2012 6:16:28 PM UTC-6, JayPique wrote:
Any ideers? JP

I use a manual and electric knife for cutting various upholstery foams
and use 781 dry silicone to help the knife glide through the foam easily.
I don't know about foam insulation. Might try some 781 dry silicone to
help the knife glide through the insulation. Should be available at your
local upholstery supplier -
http://www.perfectfit.com/24783/2472...one-Spray.html
Just whisk a light coating onto the knife blade and cut away.

Respray the blade periodically/after several cuttings.

At home I just plop foam insulation down on the table saw and treat it
like wood. Helps to have a big cyclone dust collector.

When I'm not at home a snap blade knife does fine--the kind that
DoItBest sells for 3 bucks.
http://www.doitbest.com/Utility+and+...it+Best-model-
314196-doitbest-sku-314196.dib

Never thought to try lubing the blade--next time I have foam to cut I
may try some bowling alley wax on it.

JP,
A hot wire works great on ridgid insulation foam. You can do very detailed
work. At that thickness, it may be slower than you like, though. DON'T use
it on polyurethane foams - makes toxic fumes.
Kerry