Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default Cutting 3.5" foam insulation board

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 05:27:00 -0700, J. Clarke wrote
(in article ocal):

In article ,
says...

On Friday, November 2, 2012 6:16:28 PM UTC-6, JayPique wrote:
Any ideers? JP

I use a manual and electric knife for cutting various upholstery foams and
use 781 dry silicone to help the knife glide through the foam easily. I
don't know about foam insulation. Might try some 781 dry silicone to help
the knife glide through the insulation. Should be available at your local
upholstery supplier -
http://www.perfectfit.com/24783/2472...-Dry-Silicone-
Spray.html Just whisk a light coating onto the knife blade and cut away.

Respray the blade periodically/after several cuttings.

At home I just plop foam insulation down on the table saw and treat it
like wood. Helps to have a big cyclone dust collector.

When I'm not at home a snap blade knife does fine--the kind that
DoItBest sells for 3 bucks.
http://www.doitbest.com/Utility+and+...it+Best-model-
314196-doitbest-sku-314196.dib

Never thought to try lubing the blade--next time I have foam to cut I
may try some bowling alley wax on it.

There is a free video on finehomebuilding.com where the guy swears by a wide
putty knife. He shows it cutting 1" (or so) foam board, but it might apply to
the thicker stuff

FWIW
-BR