Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Saw blade sharpening

Yes, I do own a single high end 10" saw blade.

However, most of the time I keep an el-cheepo HF 10" 40 tooth carbide blade on the table saw. Just fine for ripping two by fours etc. They do dull and I end up buying about 2 or three per year.
Do you guys send these out for sharpening? Is it worth it? What does it typically cost?
If the answer is "no", what other uses are there for old blades? I don't want to make a clock!! I do have a metal lathe, mill and shaper, is the steel in blades worth chopping up for other projects?

Thanks for all replies.

Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Yes, I do own a single high end 10" saw blade.

However, most of the time I keep an el-cheepo HF 10" 40 tooth carbide
blade on the table saw. Just fine for ripping two by fours etc. They do
dull and I end up buying about 2 or three per year.
Do you guys send these out for sharpening? Is it worth it? What does it
typically cost?
If the answer is "no", what other uses are there for old blades? I don't
want to make a clock!! I do have a metal lathe, mill and shaper, is the
steel in blades worth chopping up for other projects?

Thanks for all replies.

Ivan Vegvary

I like the HF 50 tooth blade much better than the 40 tooth (I love the
almost glass smooth end grain I usually get in a crosscut).

As for sharpening, the last time I had one sharpened was around $15.
Since a new blade costs $19.95 (not on sale), it hardly seems worth it to
have it shapened. I keep the old blades around to cut treated or rough
stock with.

As for dulling, the 50 tooth blades tend to last quite awhile.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 8:27 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Yes, I do own a single high end 10" saw blade.

However, most of the time I keep an el-cheepo HF 10" 40 tooth carbide blade on the table saw. Just fine for ripping two by fours etc. They do dull and I end up buying about 2 or three per year.
Do you guys send these out for sharpening? Is it worth it? What does it typically cost?
If the answer is "no", what other uses are there for old blades? I don't want to make a clock!! I do have a metal lathe, mill and shaper, is the steel in blades worth chopping up for other projects?

Thanks for all replies.

Ivan Vegvary

Sharpening typically will cost you $20~$30 depending on how many teeth
the blade has.

If you can buy a new blade for that price buy the blade. IIRC Forrest
charges me about $28 + S&H to resharpen my Forrest WWII blades. Keep in
mind that these Forrest WWII blades will remain sharp for a couple of
years unless you are cutting a few hours a day 5 days a week.

So you might want to consider using your best blades exclusively for
good work. I do go to a cheap blade for questionable material.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Yes, I do own a single high end 10" saw blade.

However, most of the time I keep an el-cheepo HF 10" 40 tooth carbide
blade on the table saw. Just fine for ripping two by fours etc.
They do dull and I end up buying about 2 or three per year.
Do you guys send these out for sharpening? Is it worth it? What
does it typically cost?
If the answer is "no", what other uses are there for old blades? I
don't want to make a clock!! I do have a metal lathe, mill and
shaper, is the steel in blades worth chopping up for other projects?

Are re-sharpened blades sharper than new?

An older friend, old time carpenter, told me once that when he buys a new
handsaw, the first thing he does it get it sharpened.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 4:56 PM, Bob F wrote:
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Yes, I do own a single high end 10" saw blade.

However, most of the time I keep an el-cheepo HF 10" 40 tooth carbide
blade on the table saw. Just fine for ripping two by fours etc.
They do dull and I end up buying about 2 or three per year.
Do you guys send these out for sharpening? Is it worth it? What
does it typically cost?
If the answer is "no", what other uses are there for old blades? I
don't want to make a clock!! I do have a metal lathe, mill and
shaper, is the steel in blades worth chopping up for other projects?

Are re-sharpened blades sharper than new?

Maybe, Typically cheaper blades can be sharpened when brand new and
receive a sharper edge. I am not sure you could improve on a Forrest or
similar high quality blade.

A good indicator, if your new blade has a protective coating on it and
you have to be careful to not cut your self while removing the
protective coating, it is sharp enough. Likewise if the blade has no
coating and you have to be careful to not cut your elf.

An older friend, old time carpenter, told me once that when he buys a new
handsaw, the first thing he does it get it sharpened.

Especially today that is probably a good idea. Same goes with chisels,
and files.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Yes, I do own a single high end 10" saw blade.

However, most of the time I keep an el-cheepo HF 10" 40 tooth
carbide
blade on the table saw. Just fine for ripping two by fours etc.
They do dull and I end up buying about 2 or three per year.
Do you guys send these out for sharpening? Is it worth it? What
does it typically cost?
If the answer is "no", what other uses are there for old blades? I
don't want to make a clock!! I do have a metal lathe, mill and
shaper, is the steel in blades worth chopping up for other projects?

Are re-sharpened blades sharper than new?

IMHO, you are being penny wise and pound foolish.

An el-cheepo HF blade is about $20.

You buy 2-3 year or $40-$60/year to get crappy results.

A decent blade will cost about $60-$75 individually and slightly less
when bought
in a 3 piece set.

You will spend about $15/blade to get a decent blade sharpened.

Expect to get about a year service/sharpening.

Based on the above, a new $75 blade is good for a year followed
by a $15 sharpening.

The result is $75 + $15 = $90/2 year's service for good blades.

3 el-cheepo HF blades * 2 years = 6 blades.

6 blades * $20/blade = $120/2 year's service for crappy blades.

Ya get what ya pay for.

Donate used el-cheepo HF blades to an artist who does
things like sculptures with scrap metal.

Keep the garbage lumber away from your table saw.

That's what the Sawzall was invented to handle.

If you insist on using the table saw for junk lumber keep
a el-cheepo HF blade handy and use it as a throw away.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:56:49 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Are re-sharpened blades sharper than new?

An older friend, old time carpenter, told me once that when he buys a new
handsaw, the first thing he does it get it sharpened.

A few years ago, I bought a DeWalt 12" miter saw and it came with a DW
blade. It was OK, nothing to brag about, but not so bad that I'd not
use it.

I lent the saw to a friend to cut some laminate flooring and after
that, it barely cut. (deal was, he's pay for sharpening) I sent the
blade to Ridge Carbide and it came back better than new. I sent a
couple of Freud blades too and they were at least as good as new,
maybe better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

That sounds exactly like what he said he does. He HAS a high end blade.

--
G.W. Ross

Happiness is a warm puppy, said the
anaconda.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 8:43 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

[...]

If you buy a great blade, $100, use it for 2+ years befor sharpening. A
good sharpening $25. 4 years use, $125.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Are re-sharpened blades sharper than new?

An older friend, old time carpenter, told me once that when he buys a new
handsaw, the first thing he does it get it sharpened.

A few years ago, I bought a DeWalt 12" miter saw and it came with a DW
blade. It was OK, nothing to brag about, but not so bad that I'd not
use it.

I lent the saw to a friend to cut some laminate flooring and after
that, it barely cut. (deal was, he's pay for sharpening) I sent the
blade to Ridge Carbide and it came back better than new. I sent a
couple of Freud blades too and they were at least as good as new,
maybe better.

Saw blade manufacturers tend to do great sharpening if they do offer
that service. Does/will Ridge reflatten glades also? Basically, do
they offer to bring a blade back to factory specs?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 9:27*am, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Yes, I do own a single high end 10" saw blade.

However, most of the time I keep an el-cheepo HF 10" 40 tooth carbide blade on the table saw. *Just fine for ripping two by fours etc. *They do dull and I end up buying about 2 or three per year.
Do you guys send these out for sharpening? *Is it worth it? *What does it typically cost?
If the answer is "no", what other uses are there for old blades? *I don't want to make a clock!! *I do have a metal lathe, mill and shaper, is the steel in blades worth chopping up for other projects?

Thanks for all replies.

Ivan Vegvary

Use the dull cheapos to cut aluminum. Toss.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Why would you ever cut your elf. He shouldn't even be near the saw.

An older friend, old time carpenter, told me once that when he buys
a new handsaw, the first thing he does it get it sharpened.

Especially today that is probably a good idea. Same goes with
chisels, and files.

You can get files sharpened?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Leon's problem is keeping the elf's off his keyboard.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob F" wrote:

You can get files sharpened?

------------------------------------
Yes, I've used Boggs Tools, Paramount, CA (Los Angeles burb).

They do great work for a fair price IMHO.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

You don't have and elf/gofer? ;~)

An older friend, old time carpenter, told me once that when he buys
a new handsaw, the first thing he does it get it sharpened.

Especially today that is probably a good idea. Same goes with
chisels, and files.

You can get files sharpened?

I was shocked when I heard that too. Steve Knight, the guy from way
back that built hand planes would send his new files out to be sharpened.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

HEY!

Knife/blade sharpening Mike Woodworking 3 September 30th 06 04:27 PM
BLADE SHARPENING res0orrw Woodworking 3 September 8th 06 11:21 AM
Blade Sharpening J.F. Kirkland III Woodworking 19 July 13th 06 03:33 AM
Saw blade sharpening Sasha Woodworking 9 October 23rd 05 05:37 PM
blade sharpening Doug Woodworking 17 December 31st 04 10:15 PM