Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Knife/blade sharpening

Can anyone recommend a sharpening service in Pittsburgh? Google shows
several listings, but I'd like to go on a recommendation if possible.
I'm located close to Monroeville, but anywhere within 20 minutes of
downtown would be OK. I'm looking to have saw blades and jointer knives
sharpened.

What can I expect to pay for sharpening 6" jointer knives and a 60
tooth (carbide) 10" saw blade?

On a related note, I have a Delta 13" planer that uses two double sided
blades. I believe that the blades are considered "disposable", but can
they be sharpened and reused? A new set of blades costs around $50, so
I'd think sharpening, even if only 1 time, would save a good bit.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have had my "disposable" Dewalt planer blades sharpened several times.
There were no major nicks and only a few thousandths had to be removed.
Sorry I can't help with the Pittsburgh situation. Have a chipped ham
sandwich with an Iron City on me.
Dave
"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone recommend a sharpening service in Pittsburgh? Google shows
several listings, but I'd like to go on a recommendation if possible.
I'm located close to Monroeville, but anywhere within 20 minutes of
downtown would be OK. I'm looking to have saw blades and jointer knives
sharpened.

What can I expect to pay for sharpening 6" jointer knives and a 60
tooth (carbide) 10" saw blade?

On a related note, I have a Delta 13" planer that uses two double sided
blades. I believe that the blades are considered "disposable", but can
they be sharpened and reused? A new set of blades costs around $50, so
I'd think sharpening, even if only 1 time, would save a good bit.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone recommend a sharpening service in Pittsburgh? Google shows
several listings, but I'd like to go on a recommendation if possible.
I'm located close to Monroeville, but anywhere within 20 minutes of
downtown would be OK. I'm looking to have saw blades and jointer knives
sharpened.

Have you considered sharpening your jointer and planer knives yourself?

See my homemade planer/jointer knife sharpening jig:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/jigsfixtures.htm

And yes, the disposable two-sided knives can be sharpened too!