Sasha

Default Saw blade sharpening

Where can I inexpensively re-sharpen table saw blades? I live in NJ.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article .com,
"Sasha" wrote:

Where can I inexpensively re-sharpen table saw blades? I live in NJ.

"inexpensive" is in the eyes of the beholder. What does "inexpensive"
mean to you?

Table saw blade sharpening is priced per tooth; but you're buying the
skills and attention to detail of the sharpening guy. I take mine to a
local woodturning friend who has just started his own sharpening
service. He went to school to learn the skills and has invested a lot of
time and money in his new tooling. I don't recall exactly, but I think I
paid about $12 - $15 per 50 tooth blade and the cut quality is very good
to excellent.

Additionally, I've not found much variation in pricing from one place to
the next over the last 5 years or so. I used to take my blades to
industrial sharpening shops that cater to the milling shops and the
Oregon lumber industry. They charge about the same as everyone else.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Edwin Pawlowski

"Sasha" wrote in message
oups.com...
Where can I inexpensively re-sharpen table saw blades? I live in NJ.

www.ridgecarbidetool.com Mine came back better than new

Forrest are in Clifton NJ, and charge about $20 for a 40T 10" blade. I
don't think you can go wrong with them.

-pb

Tom H

Make sure the shop you chooe have CNC Vollmer, Walter and Schmidt-Tempo
machines.
This is very expensive equipment that some shops avoid, but it is required
to get a precise tooth form.

"Sasha" wrote in message
oups.com...
Where can I inexpensively re-sharpen table saw blades? I live in NJ.

Pat

Expense is relative. It wouldn't make sense to spend $20 to sharpen a $10
Harbor Freight blade. Just buy a new one. It does make sense to spend $20
to sharpen a $100 blade.

CW

Horse****.
"Tom H" wrote in message
news
Make sure the shop you chooe have CNC Vollmer, Walter and Schmidt-Tempo
machines.
This is very expensive equipment that some shops avoid, but it is required
to get a precise tooth form.

"Sasha" wrote in message
oups.com...
Where can I inexpensively re-sharpen table saw blades? I live in NJ.

Leon

"Ba r r y" wrote in message

I *swear* the Freud cuts better than it did as new. I can't wait to
mount up the "properly sharpened" WWII again! G

Total cost was $60 for both blades, including test cuts on both and
return shipping. A fair deal!

I have has the same results. While it is ultimately a little more expensive
to use Forrest, they can truly return a blade to factory specs which many
tool sharpening services only wish that they could. Most only retip and
resharpen blades and you can forget about having a blade flattened and trued
by most. For me it is worth the extra 5 or $10 to have the blade cut like
new or better again.

Leon

"Tom H" wrote in message
news
Make sure the shop you chooe have CNC Vollmer, Walter and Schmidt-Tempo
machines.
This is very expensive equipment that some shops avoid, but it is required
to get a precise tooth form.

Does that equipment reflatten the blades also? If not I would not consider
those shops either.

CW

Having done a fair amount of tool grinding, I can say with complete
certainlty that setup is key with either manual or conventional machine. Saw
blades are among the simplest form of cutter to grind. Given equal skill and
attention to detail of the operator, the results from either machine,
conventional or CNC, will be equal.
Niether machine will flatten or tension a blade. That is a seperate process.

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

news