Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router quarter round bit operation

Need to use the router for a quarter round on a cherry edge. Using 1/2 roundover bit on a 1/4 shank. Can I do this in one pass or do I need to make several passes?

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2012 6:33 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Need to use the router for a quarter round on a cherry edge. Using 1/2 roundover bit on a 1/4 shank. Can I do this in one pass or do I need to make several passes?

Whether you CAN or not would depend on your upper body and arm strength
as much as the power of the router.

I doubt you'll go wrong though by taking several light passes and
sneaking up on the full ½" How much additional time will it take to do
it slow and correctly and wind up with a nice edge vs. quick and dirty
and maybe having a nice "divot" in your machined edge?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 16:33:28 -0700 (PDT), "Gramp's shop"
wrote:

Need to use the router for a quarter round on a cherry edge. Using 1/2 roundover bit on a 1/4 shank. Can I do this in one pass or do I need to make several passes?

Larry

Mounted in my router table, I can do it in one pass, but usually take
two. Handheld, I'd probably take three passes for better control.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:33:29 PM UTC-4, Gramp's shop wrote:
Need to use the router for a quarter round on a cherry edge. Using 1/2 roundover bit on a 1/4 shank. Can I do this in one pass or do I need to make several passes?
Larry

First of all, Larry, I would never have bought a half-inch round-over on a quarter-inch shank. Even with the proper tooling, my first pass--a hogging pass--would be backwards to avoid tear-out; then I would make several forward passes to define the cut. This is SOP.
Good grief, man, you're using a router; at 25,000 rpm, it's going to chatter no matter how strong you are; and multiple passes over the line are not going to change the profile, but it will eliminate the distortion of chatter.. I doubt your project is so large that you can't afford a few extra passes.
And, you might consider picking up a piece of sandpaper to finish the moulding process. I would do that anyway...also SOP.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2012 6:33 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Need to use the router for a quarter round on a cherry edge. Using 1/2 roundover bit on a 1/4 shank. Can I do this in one pass or do I need to make several passes?

Larry

Absolutely, cherry is relatively soft wood. You will however be less
likely to burn the cherry and have a smoother finish cut if you make 2~3
passes with the last pass being very shallow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:33:29 PM UTC-7, Gramp's shop wrote:
Need to use the router for a quarter round on a cherry edge. Using 1/2 roundover bit on a 1/4 shank. Can I do this in one pass or do I need to make several passes? Larry

The tool will do it in one pass. I would probably do a 3/4 depth rough pass, then clean up the last 1/4 of the depth with a second pass to avoid burning and clean up and rough patches.

Don't like 1/4" bits except for smaller jobs but it won't break unless you really manhandle it and catch an edge or something. A little router bit shrapnell in the nads is never much of a problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, friends. I don't buy 1/4 inch shanks anymore but my roundovers came in a set of four. I'll be using the table for this and will take 3 passes.

Larry

Quarter round MDF? Tim Watts UK diy 21 July 12th 10 01:12 PM
Pre-Finished quarter round Vic[_2_] Home Repair 9 January 9th 09 03:09 AM
Large quarter-round molding [email protected] Woodturning 5 September 24th 06 10:49 PM
How to cut quarter round really really fast? ississauga Woodworking 20 December 3rd 04 07:38 PM
Cutting Quarter Round Vam Home Repair 13 March 12th 04 02:33 AM