Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router quarter round bit operation

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:33:29 PM UTC-7, Gramp's shop wrote:
Need to use the router for a quarter round on a cherry edge. Using 1/2 roundover bit on a 1/4 shank. Can I do this in one pass or do I need to make several passes? Larry

The tool will do it in one pass. I would probably do a 3/4 depth rough pass, then clean up the last 1/4 of the depth with a second pass to avoid burning and clean up and rough patches.

Don't like 1/4" bits except for smaller jobs but it won't break unless you really manhandle it and catch an edge or something. A little router bit shrapnell in the nads is never much of a problem.