Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Carbide tipped turning tools

I know there are a few turners that hang out here from time to time.

I'm a new turner with a Rikon mini lathe and a pretty full set of HSS
tools. Took a bowl turning class a few weeks ago and had a chance to
try out a carbide tipped gouge. Sweet. I've had a few bad catches
using the bowl gouge -- a couple sent the blank flying across the shop.

So ... I'm thinking about adding a carbide gouge to my toolset. Do you
use them? If so, any thoughts about Easy, Hunter or others?

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/13/2012 11:34 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I know there are a few turners that hang out here from time to time.

I'm a new turner with a Rikon mini lathe and a pretty full set of HSS
tools. Took a bowl turning class a few weeks ago and had a chance to
try out a carbide tipped gouge. Sweet. I've had a few bad catches
using the bowl gouge -- a couple sent the blank flying across the shop.

So ... I'm thinking about adding a carbide gouge to my toolset. Do you
use them? If so, any thoughts about Easy, Hunter or others?

Larry

I have the had a lathe for 30 plus years, two actually, and never really
got the bug. I have 10~15 tools for turning, many came with the lathes.
6 weeks ago I got the Easy Wood Tools Easy Rougher, Easy Finisher, and
the Easy Detailer. I MAY NEVER USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS AGAIN.

Those 3 tools should satisfy 99% of your turning needs unless you get
into turning vessels that have narrow openings. Easy Wood Tools has
tools for that application too.

Basically I think you cannot go wrong with these replaceable carbide tip
tools.

If you can operate a finish sander you will be a pro with the Easy Wood
Tools on your first turning. They are that easy. Oh and so far knots
in the wood are a non issue, they cut just like regular wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 23:34:07 -0500, Gramp's shop
wrote:

I know there are a few turners that hang out here from time to time.

I'm a new turner with a Rikon mini lathe and a pretty full set of HSS
tools. Took a bowl turning class a few weeks ago and had a chance to
try out a carbide tipped gouge. Sweet. I've had a few bad catches
using the bowl gouge -- a couple sent the blank flying across the shop.

So ... I'm thinking about adding a carbide gouge to my toolset. Do you
use them? If so, any thoughts about Easy, Hunter or others?

Larry

This is a knowledgeable group and you'll get good info here, but you
might also try:

rec.crafts.woodturning
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I know there are a few turners that hang out here from time to time.

I'm a new turner with a Rikon mini lathe and a pretty full set of HSS
tools. Took a bowl turning class a few weeks ago and had a chance to
try out a carbide tipped gouge. Sweet. I've had a few bad catches
using the bowl gouge -- a couple sent the blank flying across the shop.

So ... I'm thinking about adding a carbide gouge to my toolset. Do you
use them? If so, any thoughts about Easy, Hunter or others?

Larry

This is a knowledgeable group and you'll get good info here, but you
might also try:

rec.crafts.woodturning

Normally I would agree with the woodturning group. These replaceable
carbide tipped tools are relatively new in so much that a few styles
replace a load of conventional tools. Long time turners may be biased
towards the traditional tool. Think about the SawStop way of reasoning
and discount or leave out personal bias against the inventor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

Normally I would agree with the woodturning group. These replaceable
carbide tipped tools are relatively new in so much that a few styles
replace a load of conventional tools. Long time turners may be biased
towards the traditional tool. Think about the SawStop way of reasoning
and discount or leave out personal bias against the inventor.

Well, if you spent a couple thousand hours sharpening your tools, you would
probably be upset that somebody came along with a new fangled invention that
made you look so OLD! They put in their time. They paid their dues. And
now, it may not be necessary any more.

Personally, I think it would help woodturning. Not having to spend all that
time sharpening leaves more time for turning! It would open it up to folks
who would never get into sharpening like the old timers had to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:

I know there are a few turners that hang out here from time to time.

I'm a new turner with a Rikon mini lathe and a pretty full set of HSS
tools. Took a bowl turning class a few weeks ago and had a chance to
try out a carbide tipped gouge. Sweet. I've had a few bad catches
using the bowl gouge -- a couple sent the blank flying across the shop.

So ... I'm thinking about adding a carbide gouge to my toolset. Do you
use them? If so, any thoughts about Easy, Hunter or others?

Larry

Carbide has a lot to recommend it. One reason for resistance to the
carbide tools is, as others have said, they are new and us old coggers just
ain't into that new fangled stuff. That aside,

Carbide has its place, but the selection of tools is still limited

With a good jig setup, sharpening is not a chore, (If you think it is, you
really need to get a life).

HSS allows you to put an individual shape on your tools, rather than what
someone else thinks you ought to have.

There is no carbide replacement for the skew. That alone should make you
have a mix of tool types.

I have an Easy Rougher knock off and frankly never use it - finding the
skew does everything better and as quick as the Easy (square bit).

So, really, its what you get used to and what you prefer.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 23:34:07 -0500, Gramp's shop wrote:

So ... I'm thinking about adding a carbide gouge to my toolset. Do you
use them? If so, any thoughts about Easy, Hunter or others?

Do a Google for Woodchuck lathe tools.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

Gramp's shop wrote:

[...]

================================================== ===========================
Many have been putting down scrapers for years but now that they hang a
chunk of carbide on the end, many are again praising the scraper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2012 2:21 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" wrote

Normally I would agree with the woodturning group. These replaceable
carbide tipped tools are relatively new in so much that a few styles
replace a load of conventional tools. Long time turners may be biased
towards the traditional tool. Think about the SawStop way of
reasoning and discount or leave out personal bias against the inventor.

Well, if you spent a couple thousand hours sharpening your tools, you
would probably be upset that somebody came along with a new fangled
invention that made you look so OLD! They put in their time. They paid
their dues. And now, it may not be necessary any more.

Personally, I think it would help woodturning. Not having to spend all
that time sharpening leaves more time for turning! It would open it up
to folks who would never get into sharpening like the old timers had to.

Absolutely! If you are already accomplished with the old there is not
much reason to switch until you have finally ground down a tool to its
demise. I too seriously believe the Easy Wood Tool type tools will
increase the popularity. When you can immediately turn a bowl or goblet
you are likely to stick with it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2012 3:09 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:
Gramp's shop wrote:

[...]

I will say that I have read reviews of Easy Wood Tools "type" tools and
the "knock offs" do not get as good of reviews as those of the Easy Wood
Tools.

So, really, its what you get used to and what you prefer.

I personally tried, off and on, over the past 30 years to get used to
the old style tools. I got pretty good with the rough in gouge. :~)

If you already are proficient with the conventional tools I can see how
it would be a 50/50 chance of you switching. For those of us that are
no,t the carbide tools eliminate the learning curve to almost zero.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2012 4:44 PM, CW wrote:

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

Gramp's shop wrote:

[...]

Stays sharper longer and in the case of the rougher, 4 times longer with
each new surface. I learned today how to resharpen those carbide bits
with a diamond hone. These thing are sharp.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:

[...]

If you just paid a gazillion dollars for a bogus tool, you'd hesitate
letting the world know about your inept purchase, wouldn't you? It's
embarrassing. (Unless you returned it immediately.)

The newest coupon in the Sunday paper today was from HF. Their
multifunction tool is on sale for $15.99, for those who don't yet have
one. Look at the wrapper for the totally useless USA Weekend "mag".
It's a small 4-pg HF ad. Also, their 4-1/2" angle grinders are only
$9.99 now. Pick up one of those and a Kutzall or Lancelot blade and
go to town with a savage new power carver.

http://www.kutzalltools.com/kutzall_...?category_ID=6
http://katools.com/
http://www.arbortech.com.au/view/

--
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives
the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:

[...]

Maybe if you paid a gazillion. The knock off I read about was one that
Rockler sells. I saw it on sale for about half the price of an Easy
Wood tool. Way way south of $100. And to put that into perspective I
suspect that most serious wood turners, those that turn daily, probably
pay at least $100 for a typical tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 19:34:45 -0500, Leon wrote:

I will say that I have read reviews of Easy Wood Tools "type" tools and
the "knock offs" do not get as good of reviews as those of the Easy Wood
Tools.

Well, Mac Davis posted the following here a while back:

"I got the Woodchuck "Bowl-Pro" tool and I'm lovin' it..
Anyone that is considering the EX Rougher should go for Woodchuck tools
by Ken Ferrel..
http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/
The price on the tool was $65, which included 2 different size/radius
carbide cutters.. Half the price of the EZ and the same tool..
I bought it to rough irregular ironwood blanks but in playing with it, I
was
even doing beads and curves with ease..
Used level like a scraper, you can hog out huge amounts of wood but I
feel it really shines on light cuts.. Nice smooth cut, very little force
on the tool rest and NO force or vibration on your hands.."

I'd call that a good review :-).

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/15/2012 11:17 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Yeah! And where has Mac been lately?

I did not mean to indicate that Easy Wood Tools are the best of their
kind so much as there are reviews of other brands that do not get
favorable reviews. I am sure that there are equal and better versions.

I believe the biggest advantage to most of these type tools is that the
bottom of the tool is flat. Most conventional turning tools have a
curved bottom and the angle of attack is critical to getting good
results and or not uncontrollably gouging/destroying the work.
My wife turned a chunk of Arkansas Walnut, absolutely her firs time
turning anything IIRC. The walnut had a gnarly open knoy and she cut
right over it leaving a pristine smooth finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:48:48 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

I got talked into buying one about 5 years ago and it does have the
rounded bottom. I was told to find the sweet spot then flatten the
bottom. Well I've chewed some stuff up but may have to give it
another try. Problem for me is I think I'm backwards. I'm really
comfortable with the skew chisel and once things are roughed out that
tends to be my goto tool in various sizes. Actually getting ready to
go weld some extensions on one of my wolverine jigs to get set up
again. Got the deal from Tormek they had a promotion on so I can run
both Wolverine and Tormek Jigs on my 8" Woodcraft slow grinder. I
have the wet grinder as well but its fairly slow for lathe tools. New
shop addition has the sharpening station next to the lathe.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 17:57:14 -0700, Mike M wrote:

I'm really comfortable
with the skew chisel and once things are roughed out that tends to be my
goto tool in various sizes.

I suspect that most of us who like the carbide tools are using them
primarily for bowl turning. I know I am. The skew isn't much use
there :-).

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 16:27:16 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 17:57:14 -0700, Mike M wrote:

I'm really comfortable
with the skew chisel and once things are roughed out that tends to be my
goto tool in various sizes.

I suspect that most of us who like the carbide tools are using them
primarily for bowl turning. I know I am. The skew isn't much use
there :-).

I'll give you that but when I flip the bowl and work the back there
is nothig sweeter then a skew.

Mike M