Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default Carbide tipped turning tools

"Leon" wrote

Normally I would agree with the woodturning group. These replaceable
carbide tipped tools are relatively new in so much that a few styles
replace a load of conventional tools. Long time turners may be biased
towards the traditional tool. Think about the SawStop way of reasoning
and discount or leave out personal bias against the inventor.

Well, if you spent a couple thousand hours sharpening your tools, you would
probably be upset that somebody came along with a new fangled invention that
made you look so OLD! They put in their time. They paid their dues. And
now, it may not be necessary any more.

Personally, I think it would help woodturning. Not having to spend all that
time sharpening leaves more time for turning! It would open it up to folks
who would never get into sharpening like the old timers had to.