Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Carbide tipped turning tools

On 10/14/2012 2:21 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" wrote

Normally I would agree with the woodturning group. These replaceable
carbide tipped tools are relatively new in so much that a few styles
replace a load of conventional tools. Long time turners may be biased
towards the traditional tool. Think about the SawStop way of
reasoning and discount or leave out personal bias against the inventor.

Well, if you spent a couple thousand hours sharpening your tools, you
would probably be upset that somebody came along with a new fangled
invention that made you look so OLD! They put in their time. They paid
their dues. And now, it may not be necessary any more.

Personally, I think it would help woodturning. Not having to spend all
that time sharpening leaves more time for turning! It would open it up
to folks who would never get into sharpening like the old timers had to.

Absolutely! If you are already accomplished with the old there is not
much reason to switch until you have finally ground down a tool to its
demise. I too seriously believe the Easy Wood Tool type tools will
increase the popularity. When you can immediately turn a bowl or goblet
you are likely to stick with it.