Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need some creative thinking

I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/9/12 5:54 PM, jtpr wrote:
I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles.
Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang
it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side
are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought
somebody here could.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim

Incorporate some sort of bicycle parts into that area to cover it up, or
perhaps some other, smaller Schwinn logo/icon.
Whatever it is, it could extend beyond the borders of the rectangle of
that sign.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/9/2012 5:54 PM, jtpr wrote:
I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim

Apparently it is plastic, cut it smaller/square and build a light box
behind it as part of the frame.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote:

I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles.
Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang
it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side
are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought
somebody here could.

Place a mat behind it like you do with any picture being framed, then
frame it.

If you use a gray mat, it will highlight the defect.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in message

I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the
way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it on
the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing.
I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim

Standard rectangle frame with triangles in all corners.. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 15:54:13 -0700 (PDT), jtpr
wrote:

I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim

Rather than try to hide the defect, use it to your advantage. I'd
make a frame that had the corner missing. Run a couple of braces
behind the sign to hold the frame square.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim

Rather than try to hide the defect, use it to your advantage. I'd
make a frame that had the corner missing. Run a couple of braces
behind the sign to hold the frame square.

+1

Give it an artistic presence.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Thanks for any advice.

Hack the bottom left off so it matches the bottom right, hack the
flange off, then use a dadoed frame around it? Or match all 4 corners
so it looks like it was built that way.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:54:13 PM UTC-7, jtpr wrote:
I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign: http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could. Thanks for any advice. -Jim

Attach it to a piece of plywood. Build a frame over the edges. Mount an bicycle seat or some other interesting bicycle related part over the missing chunk. Maybe even some other small Schwinn logo sign or framed photo, etc. The extra item will look like it belongs there as an embelishment, vs hiding the flaw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Thanks for any advice.

Hack the bottom left off so it matches the bottom right, hack the
flange off, then use a dadoed frame around it? Or match all 4 corners
so it looks like it was built that way.

This idea works as well as WW's idea. If you could match the plastic
in color you could da a repair. Only other idea is cut the plastic to
a straight line and do a custom frame.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 21:36:55 -0500, Richard
wrote:

Rather than try to hide the defect, use it to your advantage. I'd
make a frame that had the corner missing. Run a couple of braces
behind the sign to hold the frame square.

+1

Agree with that. A matching damaged corner to compliment the already
damaged sign.
Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote the following on 10/9/2012 6:54 PM (ET):
I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody here could.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim

Paint the backing in that area the same color as the sign, or attach a
piece of matching plastic it to the back of the sign and paint that.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:

Paint the backing in that area the same color as the sign, or attach a
piece of matching plastic it to the back of the sign and paint that.

Well - it would be easy enough to patch in a piece and blend it in, then
repaint the entire red section. But... I've seen some downright cool
suggestions here. I'm personally particularly fond of the one where someone
suggested breaking the frame to match the breaks in the sign. Talk about
cool...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:54:13 PM UTC-7, jtpr wrote:
I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

[to frame, with a missing corner piece}

Other suggestions are good; you might consider make a face frame that has
an elliptical or oval aperture. Start with wide boards joined to make the frame,
then do the loop-of-string-and-two-nails thing to lay out
an ellipse. Rout the aperture to the elliptical shape.

Possibly, also, get a local sign shop to make you a new sign, you can get your choice
of colors, fonts, size, text, etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
jtpr wrote:
I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along
the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it
on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are
missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody
here could.

Thanks for any advice.

-Jim

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but after looking at the picture,
I have a hard time imagining a frame that WOULDN'T hold the sign,
regardless of the broken corner & side.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry W wrote:

Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but after looking at the
picture, I have a hard time imagining a frame that WOULDN'T hold the
sign, regardless of the broken corner & side.

I think most of us thought about it as how he would deal with the fracture
as he framed it. You are right - any simple frame would carry it as long as
you don't mind the missing chunk - which is not all that bad.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
jtpr wrote:
I have a friend (I know, hard to believe) that collects bicycles. Along the way he picked up this Schwinn sign:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/Other/Sch...5840307_PSLwCF

He asked me if I could figure out a way to frame it so he could hang it
on the wall. The problem is that the bottom corner and one side are
missing. I'm not coming up with any clever ideas and thought somebody
here could.

Thanks for any advice.

The sign is as it is.

Use photomount adhesive* to carefully fix to a piece of MDF painted a
neutral colour and frame leaving a border all round just like you might
when framing a photograph.

* Usual disclaimer, check to see if the adhesive affects the plastic first.

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Place a mat behind it like you do with any picture being framed,
then frame it.

If you use a gray mat, it will highlight the defect.

Correction ( It was late that night), the mat goes on top of the sign
and will
totally hide the broken corner.

Mount the sign on a piece of ply.

Make a mat using a door skin (1/8" ply) with a retangular opening
inside the door skin that allows about a 6" overlay per side of the
sign.

Paint the door skin light gray or similar neutral color.

Picture frame the whole ball of wax.

Crack open a brewski and admire your work.

Lew