Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Sofa table

I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular by Karl
(Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around (pine and
something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a lot, primarily
that you need to get things well-measured, then well-sanded and finished
before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 5, 2012 4:09:25 PM UTC-5, Han wrote:

Han, your links are private. It tells me I do not have permission to view the photos.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2012 4:09 PM, Han wrote:
I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular by Karl
(Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around (pine and
something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a lot, primarily
that you need to get things well-measured, then well-sanded and finished
before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Better edit that to be "Public"
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 10/5/2012 4:09 PM, Han wrote:
I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular
by Karl (Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around
(pine and something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a
lot, primarily that you need to get things well-measured, then
well-sanded and finished before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Better edit that to be "Public"

Sorry, guys. It should be fixed now.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2012 4:09 PM, Han wrote:
I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular by Karl
(Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around (pine and
something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a lot, primarily
that you need to get things well-measured, then well-sanded and finished
before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

Looking good, Han. A prototype definitely worth keeping, for sure. I
like it when that happens.

BTW, used your Akeda jig to make three oak drawers (one spare, which
I'll use for something else) for my sofa table today ... worked like a
charm, AAMOF I was able to cut the tails on one end and pins on the
other in one setup, which saved a bunch of time.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2012 4:09 PM, Han wrote:
I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular
by Karl (Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around
(pine and something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a
lot, primarily that you need to get things well-measured, then
well-sanded and finished before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Better edit that to be "Public"

Sorry, guys. It should be fixed now.

Ok, scraps or not, the wood goes well with the floor. It looks great,
like it is suppose to look.

So how about a top shot, what's under the glass?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 5, 2012 6:57:27 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
A prototype definitely worth keeping, for sure. I like it when that happens.

Yep, so do I.

Very nice. Sleek, simple, functional. I like those kinds of results, too.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/12 4:09 PM, Han wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Are those eight interior vertical stiles(*?) slightly tapered? I can't
tell.
If they are, it's beautiful.
Even if they aren't, great job on a wonderful piece.

*(What the h3ll are those called, anyway?) :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 10/5/2012 4:09 PM, Han wrote:
I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular
by Karl (Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around
(pine and something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a
lot, primarily that you need to get things well-measured, then
well-sanded and finished before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

Looking good, Han. A prototype definitely worth keeping, for sure. I
like it when that happens.

Me too!

BTW, used your Akeda jig to make three oak drawers (one spare, which
I'll use for something else) for my sofa table today ... worked like a
charm, AAMOF I was able to cut the tails on one end and pins on the
other in one setup, which saved a bunch of time.

+1!! But it is your Akeeda jig now ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

On 10/5/2012 4:09 PM, Han wrote:
I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular
by Karl (Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around
(pine and something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a
lot, primarily that you need to get things well-measured, then
well-sanded and finished before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Better edit that to be "Public"

Sorry, guys. It should be fixed now.

Ok, scraps or not, the wood goes well with the floor. It looks great,
like it is suppose to look.

Thanks, Leon!

So how about a top shot, what's under the glass?

I need to get some glass cleaner ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

-MIKE- wrote in news:k4o1jo$1rl$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

On 10/5/12 4:09 PM, Han wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Are those eight interior vertical stiles(*?) slightly tapered? I can't
tell.
If they are, it's beautiful.
Even if they aren't, great job on a wonderful piece.

*(What the h3ll are those called, anyway?) :-)

The "spindles" (?) aren't tapered, at least I didn't make them so. They
are square, with little square tenons on each end. They are held in
place (not glued) by little strips with the appropriate size dados, with
the strips fitted into grooves in the rails. The rails are glued
into/onto the legs with dominos, so everything is pretty tight. The
spindles rattle ever so slightly (it's a test piece). Because the wood
species are different and the grains not aligned, it seems safer not to
put wood movement stress on those spindles when the humidity is going to
change. The table is standing next to hot water radiant heat (may be
going on this weekend, they expect cold temps).

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 05 Oct 2012 21:09:25 GMT, Han wrote:

I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular by Karl
(Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around (pine and
something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a lot, primarily
that you need to get things well-measured, then well-sanded and finished
before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

Very nice even in the scrap wood. I like the simple lines of the
style.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular
by Karl (Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around
(pine and something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a
lot, primarily that you need to get things well-measured, then
well-sanded and finished before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

Good job, Han, looks fine.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Mike M wrote in
:

On 05 Oct 2012 21:09:25 GMT, Han wrote:

I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular by
Karl (Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around
(pine and something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a
lot, primarily that you need to get things well-measured, then
well-sanded and finished before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

Looks great Han

Thanks, Mike!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Han wrote:
I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular
by Karl (Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around
(pine and something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a
lot, primarily that you need to get things well-measured, then
well-sanded and finished before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

Good job, Han, looks fine.

Thanks, dadiOH (?)!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 05 Oct 2012 21:09:25 GMT, Han wrote:

I've finished my glass-topped sofa table, in the style made popular by
Karl (Swingman). This is a trial piece, using wood laying around
(pine and something that may be fir - some old shelves. I learned a
lot, primarily that you need to get things well-measured, then
well-sanded and finished before final assembly. Pictures he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1008977...in/photostream

Final demensions 31x43.5x13.5" H/W/D.

Very nice even in the scrap wood. I like the simple lines of the
style.

Thanks, Ed!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2012 9:22 PM, Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

On 10/5/2012 4:09 PM, Han wrote:
[...]

LOL. His till something unforeseen goes wrong, then it'll be the jig he
got from your. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

The "spindles" (?) aren't tapered, at least I didn't make them so.
They are square, with little square tenons on each end. They are
held in place (not glued) by little strips with the appropriate size
dados, with the strips fitted into grooves in the rails. The rails
are glued into/onto the legs with dominos, so everything is pretty
tight. The spindles rattle ever so slightly (it's a test piece).
Because the wood species are different and the grains not aligned, it
seems safer not to put wood movement stress on those spindles when
the humidity is going to change. The table is standing next to hot
water radiant heat (may be going on this weekend, they expect cold
temps).

Looks nice Han!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:be070$5070378d
:

Han wrote:

[...]

Saga of the Sofa Table Swingman Woodworking 24 October 1st 12 05:43 AM
Saga of the Sofa Table Swingman Woodworking 18 September 25th 12 09:49 PM
Saga of the Sofa Table Swingman Woodworking 6 September 19th 12 11:59 PM
Sofa Table Max Woodworking 1 April 3rd 05 05:59 AM
Sofa Table Max Woodworking 3 March 15th 05 11:39 AM