Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Saga of the Sofa Table

On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:
Finally, some vertical movement:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...11279201357762

Somewhere in that pile of QSRO lurks The Sofa Table ...

Basic frame is complete. Top, corbels (already made, but will be mounted
after the top is installed) and the two drawers remain. The panel
glue-up of the top is in the foreground waiting for an overnight glue cure.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...29854076858386

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:37:27 -0500, Swingman wrote:
Basic frame is complete. Top, corbels (already made, but will be mounted
after the top is installed) and the two drawers remain. The panel
glue-up of the top is in the foreground waiting for an overnight glue cure.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...29854076858386

I figured out why you and Leon get along so well. You're both
workaholics.

What is it? Computer, woodworking, kiss the wife good night, sleep,
repeat?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:
Finally, some vertical movement:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...ShopArtsCrafts
SofaTable#5789911279201357762

Somewhere in that pile of QSRO lurks The Sofa Table ...

Basic frame is complete. Top, corbels (already made, but will be
mounted after the top is installed) and the two drawers remain. The
panel glue-up of the top is in the foreground waiting for an overnight
glue cure.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopArtsCraftsS
ofaTable#5793729854076858386

+1 !!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:37:27 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:
Finally, some vertical movement:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...11279201357762

Somewhere in that pile of QSRO lurks The Sofa Table ...

Basic frame is complete. Top, corbels (already made, but will be mounted
after the top is installed) and the two drawers remain. The panel
glue-up of the top is in the foreground waiting for an overnight glue cure.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...29854076858386

That's coming together nicely. I should do more of the finishing as
you go. Looks great.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 18:11:37 -0700, Mike M
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:37:27 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:
Finally, some vertical movement:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...11279201357762

Somewhere in that pile of QSRO lurks The Sofa Table ...

Basic frame is complete. Top, corbels (already made, but will be mounted
after the top is installed) and the two drawers remain. The panel
glue-up of the top is in the foreground waiting for an overnight glue cure.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...29854076858386

That's coming together nicely. I should do more of the finishing as
you go. Looks great.

Except for the pigment ****ting in the grain, it looks pretty good.
Look at the inside of the left front leg (probably two sides of all
legs). That's why I hate stain. I wish guys would fume (when
possible) or use dye instead of stain.

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Except for the pigment ****ting in the grain, it looks pretty good.
Look at the inside of the left front leg (probably two sides of all
legs).
That's why I hate stain. I wish guys would fume (when
possible) or use dye instead of stain.

One man's poi is another man's poison, C_Less ... some folks prefer the
actual grain of a block of wood, no matter how stained, over say, the fake
look of a quadrilinear leg. And, unlike critics who know the way, but can't
drive the car, those capable of paying the piper call the tune.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 02:18:44 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Except for the pigment ****ting in the grain, it looks pretty good.
Look at the inside of the left front leg (probably two sides of all
legs).
That's why I hate stain. I wish guys would fume (when
possible) or use dye instead of stain.

One man's poi is another man's poison, C_Less

Truth!

... some folks prefer the
actual grain of a block of wood, no matter how stained, over say, the fake
look of a quadrilinear leg.

I've gotta say I prefer the look of the rays on all sides, but
pigmented stain just looks like **** to me. Have you tried dye?
I bet you'd prefer it.

And, unlike critics who know the way, but can't
drive the car, those capable of paying the piper call the tune.

Pfffft!

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I've gotta say I prefer the look of the rays on all sides, but
pigmented stain just looks like **** to me. Have you tried dye?
I bet you'd prefer it.

Perhaps, if I could accurately judge colors ... you're talking to a man who
colored grass pink until he learned to read the label on a crayon.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:37:27 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:
Finally, some vertical movement:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...11279201357762

Somewhere in that pile of QSRO lurks The Sofa Table ...

Basic frame is complete. Top, corbels (already made, but will be mounted
after the top is installed) and the two drawers remain. The panel
glue-up of the top is in the foreground waiting for an overnight glue cure.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...29854076858386

That's coming together nicely. I should do more of the finishing as
you go. Looks great.

Except for the pigment ****ting in the grain, it looks pretty good.
Look at the inside of the left front leg (probably two sides of all
legs). That's why I hate stain. I wish guys would fume (when
possible) or use dye instead of stain.

So show us some of your fumed work Larry. Let us see what you are
talking about.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 09:25:36 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I've gotta say I prefer the look of the rays on all sides, but
pigmented stain just looks like **** to me. Have you tried dye?
I bet you'd prefer it.

Perhaps, if I could accurately judge colors ... you're talking to a man who
colored grass pink until he learned to read the label on a crayon.

EEK!

Try some dye on another scrap piece. I'll bet you like it better in
the grain. More class. Much less IN-YOUR-FACE, knowwhatImean,Vern?

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Except for the pigment ****ting in the grain, it looks pretty good.
Look at the inside of the left front leg (probably two sides of all
legs).
That's why I hate stain. I wish guys would fume (when
possible) or use dye instead of stain.

One man's poi is another man's poison, C_Less ... some folks prefer the
actual grain of a block of wood, no matter how stained, over say, the
fake look of a quadrilinear leg. And, unlike critics who know the way,
but can't drive the car, those capable of paying the piper call the
tune.

Table is looking good.

And speaking of people able to pay the piper, I just got a request
to make a round coffee table with a round inset glass top, the recess
has to be deep enough to put a round Auburn University picture puzzle
in for permanent display. Personally I think the whole idea is ****, but
they have money to spend and being a bit of a whore in that regard, I'll
oblige them.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I tried it on scrap once but didn't keep it. For years, I was going
to build an A&C sofa but finally realized that it wouldn't have been
comfortable, so I never made it. Unlike youse guys, I haven't built
much furniture (but neither have -any- of our customers, huh, guys?)

I've seen a lot of "finish abuse" locally and here on the Wreck. Your
work could improve, too, moving to dye v. pigmented stain, if you must
discolor your work. :/

(see sig)

--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Well how about that!

Unlike youse guys, I haven't built
much furniture (but neither have -any- of our customers, huh, guys?)

???

I've seen a lot of "finish abuse" locally and here on the Wreck. Your
work could improve, too, moving to dye v. pigmented stain, if you must
discolor your work. :/

Actually Larry all of the work that I have mentioned here in the last
two years has been dyed, not stained. I really can't tell the
difference and apparently you cant either. ;~)

The only difference I see is in the application, much easier and
potentially much messier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/29/2012 5:43 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:37:27 -0500, Swingman wrote:
Basic frame is complete. Top, corbels (already made, but will be mounted
after the top is installed) and the two drawers remain. The panel
glue-up of the top is in the foreground waiting for an overnight glue cure.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...29854076858386

I figured out why you and Leon get along so well. You're both
workaholics.

What is it? Computer, woodworking, kiss the wife good night, sleep,
repeat?

On the 6th day we play Dominoes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I've gotta say I prefer the look of the rays on all sides, but
pigmented stain just looks like **** to me. Have you tried dye?
I bet you'd prefer it.

Perhaps, if I could accurately judge colors ... you're talking to a man who
colored grass pink until he learned to read the label on a crayon.

EEK!

Try some dye on another scrap piece. I'll bet you like it better in
the grain. More class. Much less IN-YOUR-FACE, knowwhatImean,Vern?

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Dye is fun to mess around with. It is to stain what stain is to paint.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/29/2012 8:11 PM, Mike M wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:37:27 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:
Finally, some vertical movement:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...11279201357762

Somewhere in that pile of QSRO lurks The Sofa Table ...

Basic frame is complete. Top, corbels (already made, but will be mounted
after the top is installed) and the two drawers remain. The panel
glue-up of the top is in the foreground waiting for an overnight glue cure.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...29854076858386

That's coming together nicely. I should do more of the finishing as
you go. Looks great.

Thanks, Mike ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2012 10:19 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Critics are like enuchs in a harem ... they know how it's done, they see
it being done, but they can't do it themselves. LOL

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:19:27 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/30/2012 10:10 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Unlike youse guys, I haven't built
much furniture (but neither have -any- of our customers, huh, guys?)

???

I've built wooden things, just not furniture for clients, 'cept a
kitchen cart. They specified a product I hate Minwhacked Polyshades. I
refuse to use it again unless extremely well paid. I'll spray it prior
to assembly, too. goddamnedRBSanyway

I've seen a lot of "finish abuse" locally and here on the Wreck. Your
work could improve, too, moving to dye v. pigmented stain, if you must
discolor your work. :/

Actually Larry all of the work that I have mentioned here in the last
two years has been dyed, not stained. I really can't tell the
difference and apparently you cant either. ;~)

Hmmm, all the gel stains I've seen have been made with pigments. It
has probably been 6-7 years since I last looked, though.

But telling the nuances of a wood finish from a picture on a computer
is far from easy, so don't climb too far up on that high horse, eh?

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:

Table is looking good.

Thanks.

And speaking of people able to pay the piper, I just got a request
to make a round coffee table with a round inset glass top, the recess
has to be deep enough to put a round Auburn University picture puzzle
in for permanent display. Personally I think the whole idea is ****, but
they have money to spend and being a bit of a whore in that regard, I'll
oblige them.

Yep ... Just about everything you do in woodworking, and construction, that
involves a client means some degree of compromise, even if you do it for
yourself, unless you're an unmarried hermit.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

But telling the nuances of a wood finish from a picture on a computer
is far from easy, so don't climb too far up on that high horse, eh?

Yep ... but so far it hasn't stopped you in the least. g

--
www.ewoodshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 11:00:26 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
On the 6th day we play Dominoes.

Kinda figured.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knnFXsN2Vgg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:18:19 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

FYVM, too, Karl. I'm perfectly happy and capable of working with
clearcoats and do so because I hate stains.

Here's some mortise and tenon work, dovetails, misc projects, jigs,
tools, clearcoating: http://tinyurl.com/9h6ez23

Pecan bookcase back in 1992 for a church: http://tinyurl.com/8bkwgqk

Rolling cabinets for rockhound: http://tinyurl.com/9xfwgxt

What #$%^&* eunuch?

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:58:05 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

But telling the nuances of a wood finish from a picture on a computer
is far from easy, so don't climb too far up on that high horse, eh?

Yep ... but so far it hasn't stopped you in the least. g

I wasn't talking to you. g

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Very well done, C_Less ... but I wasn't talking to you. g

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2012 8:46 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Nice work there Larry, I really like the way the wood grain stands out
on those rolling cabinets. ;~)

Seriously, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Saga of the Sofa Table - end assemblies Swingman Woodworking 9 September 28th 12 05:18 AM
Saga of the Sofa Table Swingman Woodworking 18 September 25th 12 09:49 PM
Saga of the Sofa Table Swingman Woodworking 6 September 19th 12 11:59 PM
Sofa Table Max Woodworking 1 April 3rd 05 05:59 AM
Sofa Table Max Woodworking 3 March 15th 05 11:39 AM