Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Saga of the Sofa Table - end assemblies

On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

Pre-finishing parts before glue-up, particularly with that many
spindles/parts, can really save time ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2012 5:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

Pre-finishing parts before glue-up, particularly with that many
spindles/parts, can really save time ...

A link would help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...80773177344818

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:37:14 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 5:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

Pre-finishing parts before glue-up, particularly with that many
spindles/parts, can really save time ...

A link would help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...80773177344818

RBS to the rescue, eh? sigh Ya ruintit.

(To those of you in Rio Linda, RBS = Reddish Brown ****.)

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 9/26/2012 5:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

Pre-finishing parts before glue-up, particularly with that many
spindles/parts, can really save time ...

A link would help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...hopArtsCraftsS
ofaTable#5792580773177344818

The prefinishing is what I didn't do with my trial sofa table. Real
stupid, but a lesson learned. I didn't glue in the spindles, nor the
strips that I inlayed into the rails. Those strips have small dados that
receive the tenons on the spindles. Since it is all contained between
the rails that are kept in place with dominos in the legs, it is Ok for
the spindles to have just a little play ... I made this from left-over
wood, pine and fir (??). It is contrasting, but I'm not thrilled with
the combination. But then, it is going to stand behind the couch and is
invisible unless you lean over the back of the couch.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2012 7:01 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:37:14 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 5:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

Pre-finishing parts before glue-up, particularly with that many
spindles/parts, can really save time ...

A link would help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...80773177344818

RBS to the rescue, eh? sigh Ya ruintit.

(To those of you in Rio Linda, RBS = Reddish Brown ****.)

Tsk, tsk .... it's not finished yet, C_Less. Hold your horses until it's
done, you might like it, trust me.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 19:50:52 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 7:01 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:37:14 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 5:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

Pre-finishing parts before glue-up, particularly with that many
spindles/parts, can really save time ...

A link would help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...80773177344818

RBS to the rescue, eh? sigh Ya ruintit.

(To those of you in Rio Linda, RBS = Reddish Brown ****.)

Tsk, tsk .... it's not finished yet, C_Less. Hold your horses until it's
done, you might like it, trust me.

Yeah, well, OK. But the angle showing the darker solids in the grain
looked pretty bad in that shot you ref'd.

The next thing you know, you'll be -filling- the poor, innocent pores,
too. And smearing on poly. shudder

I taught you better than that. bseg & gd&r

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:37:14 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 5:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

Pre-finishing parts before glue-up, particularly with that many
spindles/parts, can really save time ...

A link would help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...80773177344818

I liked how you did the thru tenon.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:37:14 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 5:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

Pre-finishing parts before glue-up, particularly with that many
spindles/parts, can really save time ...

A link would help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...80773177344818

I liked how you did the thru tenon.

Thanks. Where there's a will .... use the Multi-Router to do the floating
tenon mortise first, and my old Delta hollow chisel mortises to cut the
exposed tenon side about 1/2" deep only. Basically it's a floating
tenon/plug. Actually had four left from a previous job, and although the
grain doesn't match, the only one complaining will be C_Less.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 19:47:35 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Mike M wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:37:14 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 5:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

Pre-finishing parts before glue-up, particularly with that many
spindles/parts, can really save time ...

A link would help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...80773177344818

I liked how you did the thru tenon.

Thanks. Where there's a will .... use the Multi-Router to do the floating
tenon mortise first, and my old Delta hollow chisel mortises to cut the
exposed tenon side about 1/2" deep only. Basically it's a floating
tenon/plug. Actually had four left from a previous job, and although the
grain doesn't match, the only one complaining will be C_Less.

Good to know had not realized the detail of the hollow chisel mortise.
I have a domino so might borrow this idea some time. It's a nice
detail and I like it.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:37:14 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 5:31 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2012 10:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

Pre-finishing parts before glue-up, particularly with that many
spindles/parts, can really save time ...

A link would help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...80773177344818

I liked how you did the thru tenon.

Thanks. Where there's a will .... use the Multi-Router to do the floating
tenon mortise first, and my old Delta hollow chisel mortises to cut the
exposed tenon side about 1/2" deep only. Basically it's a floating
tenon/plug. Actually had four left from a previous job, and although the
grain doesn't match, the only one complaining will be C_Less.

Damned _tootin'_ I will be.

LJ, President, Curmudgeons-R-Us!

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Saga of the Sofa Table Swingman Woodworking 18 September 25th 12 09:49 PM
Saga of the Sofa Table Swingman Woodworking 6 September 19th 12 11:59 PM
finishing cherry sofa table Andrew Barss Woodworking 3 November 22nd 05 04:03 PM
Sofa Table Max Woodworking 1 April 3rd 05 05:59 AM
Sofa Table Max Woodworking 3 March 15th 05 11:39 AM