Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockler Pock-it Clamps

Thanks to a tip I read here, I picked up a couple of these at 9.99
apiece. I finally got around to trying them out. I was slapping
together a quick utility shelf to hold a couple of battery chargers in
my garage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...ream/lightbox/

Now all of you more-experienced woodworkers would likely have figured
this out on your own (and quickly), but I had a small problem, one
that the photo above helped me suss out. I found that tightening the
clamp made the clamp twist clockwise. This was inconvenient, as I was
holding the two pieces of wood together with one hand and tightening
the clamp with the other. An unfortunate biological flaw has left me
without a third to hold the clamp steady, so I had to try a couple of
hand positions before I got things lined up.

If you look at the far clamp in the photo, you'll notice a small gap
between the clamp and the wood (see the shadow?). I re-examined the
clamps. Turns out the "pin depth" is adjustable. It was evidently set
too deep for the pocket hole and wouldn't allow the clamp to sit
flush.

I may try fastening another couple of scraps together sometime soon,
to see if the clamps are more workable when properly set for the hold
depth. Oh, and having a permanent, usable home for the battery
chargers is a lovely thing indeed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/23/2012 6:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

If you look at the far clamp in the photo, you'll notice a small gap
between the clamp and the wood (see the shadow?). I re-examined the
clamps. Turns out the "pin depth" is adjustable. It was evidently set
too deep for the pocket hole and wouldn't allow the clamp to sit
flush.

Successfully using any tool is proper setup ... and you also have to
drill the pocket holes the proper depth for the material, which is where
a lot of folks mess up with pocket hole joinery.

Next time, instead of trying to hold the two pieces together, align them
closely; attach the clamp loosely; then push down on the top of the
clamp with one hand while tightening with the other, leaving just enough
slack to adjust the fit if necessary before screwing down for final
clamping pressure ... quicker done than the telling.

Once I perfected the technique of using this particular clamp, I've not
needed three hands for this operation, but I'm firmly convinced at some
point in the distant future woodworkers will indeed evolve to having
that third hand.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 23, 9:56*am, Swingman wrote:
On 9/23/2012 6:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

If you look at the far clamp in the photo, you'll notice a small gap
between the clamp and the wood (see the shadow?). I re-examined the
clamps. Turns out the "pin depth" is adjustable. It was evidently set
too deep for the pocket hole and wouldn't allow the clamp to sit
flush.

Successfully using any tool is proper setup ... and you also have to
drill the pocket holes the proper depth for the material, which is where
a lot of folks mess up with pocket hole joinery.

Next time, instead of trying to hold the two pieces together, align them
closely; attach the clamp loosely; then push down on the top of the
clamp with one hand while tightening with the other, leaving just enough
slack to adjust the fit if necessary before screwing down for final
clamping pressure *... quicker done than the telling.

I may not have explained it clearly enough. Because the "pin" was too
long, there was no way to get the clamp flush with (i.e. touching) the
piece of wood with the pocket holes. The pocket holes were in fact
drilled to the Kreg-specified depth.

Once I perfected the technique of using this particular clamp, I've not
needed three hands for this operation, but I'm firmly convinced at some
point in the distant future woodworkers will indeed evolve to having
that third hand.

Several jokes come to mind, most of which might not be family-
friendly. "Are you trying to square up a corner, or are you just glad
to seem me?" is as child-safe as I can come up with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/23/2012 9:15 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Nothing wrong with your clarity, and understood from the get go ... but
you won't be the only one reading this thread and it is a common
problem.

Once I perfected the technique of using this particular clamp, I've not
needed three hands for this operation, but I'm firmly convinced at some
point in the distant future woodworkers will indeed evolve to having
that third hand.

Several jokes come to mind, most of which might not be family-
friendly. "Are you trying to square up a corner, or are you just glad
to seem me?" is as child-safe as I can come up with.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/23/2012 7:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Thanks to a tip I read here, I picked up a couple of these at 9.99
apiece. I finally got around to trying them out. I was slapping
together a quick utility shelf to hold a couple of battery chargers in
my garage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...ream/lightbox/

Lots of nice scenery pics there Greg.

I may try fastening another couple of scraps together sometime soon,
to see if the clamps are more workable when properly set for the hold
depth. Oh, and having a permanent, usable home for the battery
chargers is a lovely thing indeed.

I bought a clamp but haven't used it yet. Normally, I press the two
pieces against my saw fence by hand and screw them together, no clamps,
no problem. I'm thinking the clamp might be a solution to a
non-existent problem.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:43:00 -0400, Jack wrote:
I bought a clamp but haven't used it yet. Normally, I press the two
pieces against my saw fence by hand and screw them together, no clamps,
no problem. I'm thinking the clamp might be a solution to a
non-existent problem.

So even though you weren't positively sure you needed one, you bought
it anyway. Now if only you could apply the same mind set to SawStop
and buy one of their saws, perhaps you might save a finger or two.

(Ducking)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/25/2012 9:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 9/23/2012 7:35 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Thanks to a tip I read here, I picked up a couple of these at 9.99
apiece. I finally got around to trying them out. I was slapping
together a quick utility shelf to hold a couple of battery chargers in
my garage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...ream/lightbox/

Lots of nice scenery pics there Greg.

Not nearly enough. (so many more places to see than I'll ever get to)
Thanks for the kind words. Photography has been a hobby for a lot longer
than woodworking.

I may try fastening another couple of scraps together sometime soon,
to see if the clamps are more workable when properly set for the hold
depth. Oh, and having a permanent, usable home for the battery
chargers is a lovely thing indeed.

I bought a clamp but haven't used it yet. Normally, I press the two
pieces against my saw fence by hand and screw them together, no clamps,
no problem. I'm thinking the clamp might be a solution to a
non-existent problem.

Sounds sensible enough, although I don't have a table saw. This is what
I did for my first Kreg project:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...2523/lightbox/

The piece of black melamine was used as a spacer. Looking at the photo,
it occurs to me that the Pock-It clamps might not have been of any use
in that situation anyway, as the offset is large and the clamp's "throw"
may not have been long enough. They were 9.99 each. I'm pretty sure I'll
get $20 of use out of them.