Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockler Pock-it Clamps

Thanks to a tip I read here, I picked up a couple of these at 9.99
apiece. I finally got around to trying them out. I was slapping
together a quick utility shelf to hold a couple of battery chargers in
my garage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...ream/lightbox/

Now all of you more-experienced woodworkers would likely have figured
this out on your own (and quickly), but I had a small problem, one
that the photo above helped me suss out. I found that tightening the
clamp made the clamp twist clockwise. This was inconvenient, as I was
holding the two pieces of wood together with one hand and tightening
the clamp with the other. An unfortunate biological flaw has left me
without a third to hold the clamp steady, so I had to try a couple of
hand positions before I got things lined up.

If you look at the far clamp in the photo, you'll notice a small gap
between the clamp and the wood (see the shadow?). I re-examined the
clamps. Turns out the "pin depth" is adjustable. It was evidently set
too deep for the pocket hole and wouldn't allow the clamp to sit
flush.

I may try fastening another couple of scraps together sometime soon,
to see if the clamps are more workable when properly set for the hold
depth. Oh, and having a permanent, usable home for the battery
chargers is a lovely thing indeed.