Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockler

I thougth I had enough when I saw they had desiged "slots" for your
bench for their bench cookies.

Now, this morning, I see they have a 3 piece "Glue Applicator Kit"
($14.99).

I hope you folks aren't encouraging them! ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/12 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

I thougth I had enough when I saw they had desiged "slots" for your
bench for their bench cookies.

Now, this morning, I see they have a 3 piece "Glue Applicator Kit"
($14.99).

I hope you folks aren't encouraging them! ; )

Bill

Have you used them? They are pretty cool. I suppose you could try to
find some silicone material and make your own. Good luck with that. :-)

The first time you use one of those spreaders and peel all the glue off
with one yank, it's worth the price of admission right then and there. I
suppose if you'd rather use scraps of wood to spread your glue or foam
brushes, you'll be happy. Those foam brushes start to add up and I never
seem to have a clean one handy. Good luck cleaning the glue off of
those. :-) To each his own.

Besides, in a couple months they'll be $9.99 with free shipping.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

I thougth I had enough when I saw they had desiged "slots" for your
bench for their bench cookies.

Now, this morning, I see they have a 3 piece "Glue Applicator Kit"
($14.99).

I hope you folks aren't encouraging them! ; )

Bill

I suppose you are talking slots for fastening the cookies. They will
walk if you don't fasten them in place.

The 3 piece kit, you sure don't need it but it sure makes life easier if
you can part with $15, especially if you do a lot of gluing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:53:26 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/19/2012 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

I thougth I had enough when I saw they had desiged "slots" for your
bench for their bench cookies.

Now, this morning, I see they have a 3 piece "Glue Applicator Kit"
($14.99).

I hope you folks aren't encouraging them! ; )

Bill

I suppose you are talking slots for fastening the cookies. They will
walk if you don't fasten them in place.

I tried my new painting pyramids the other day and the project went
skidding off it half a dozen times while the pyramids went skidding
all around the wax paper I put under them. I'm less impressed in them
after use, lemme tell ya. g I'll screw 'em to some scrap sheet next
time.

The 3 piece kit, you sure don't need it but it sure makes life easier if
you can part with $15, especially if you do a lot of gluing.

Yeah, special heads for glue can be a godsend at times, ensuring good
coverage on both sides of biscuit holes, f'rinstance. I'm as fond of
Rockler's pricing as I am Festool's.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...1&site=ROCKLER would be
the kit I'd opt for instead of the 3-pc set, but only when it was on
half price sale with free shipping.

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Besides being cheap, foam brushes come in multiple sizes.

My last two times through Rockler's cashier, I was offered a glue brush.
The first time I asked hesitantly, "are they free?" and it was explained
that they were $4.99 (IIRC). I passed. I later realized that they were
too small for most of my purposes anyway. The markup on those must be
outstanding...same as the bench cookies. Next thing you know, Harbor
Freight and Rockler may join forces.

I think it would make the store Alot more exciting if they were a little
bit more like a woodworking school. If they offer the right things I'll
spend, but I'm not talking about a glue brush or a bench cookie! I'm
not interested in turning a pen either! : ) Some visitors seem to
enjoy seeing the carvers there on Saturday morning--I've seen them ask.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:53:26 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

The 3 piece kit, you sure don't need it but it sure makes life easier if
you can part with $15, especially if you do a lot of gluing.

I didn't see much "magic" in that 3-piece kit.

Yeah, special heads for glue can be a godsend at times, ensuring good
coverage on both sides of biscuit holes, f'rinstance. I'm as fond of
Rockler's pricing as I am Festool's.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...1&site=ROCKLER would be
the kit I'd opt for instead of the 3-pc set, but only when it was on
half price sale with free shipping.

Keep in mind they always offer 20-25% off coupons, and they factor that
into their pricing a priori. I agree that $16.59 for that is silly. You
might do better at a craft store. I don't wish to see Rockler close
their doors, but I hate to see them looking for a quick buck. As I
mentioned in my earlier post, I hope they evolve with more educational
product. Of course, that makes it a lot more difficult to be a
corporation with franchises... It's easier for franchises to sell glue
bottles.

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
than not, unconsidered.
-- Andre Gide

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

I thougth I had enough when I saw they had desiged "slots" for your
bench for their bench cookies.

Now, this morning, I see they have a 3 piece "Glue Applicator Kit"
($14.99).

I hope you folks aren't encouraging them! ; )

Not impressed with the kit, but don't knock that sillycone glue brush
until you try it.

The spade end is great for putting glue in mortises, and the brush end
spreads nicely and cleans up after itself ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a
product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood
working is a hobby you can afford.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Did I say a high profit margin was a bad thing? In this case, I think
it's comical. IMHO, Apple is more deserving of the one they have.
And where the f. do you come accross talking to me like that?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 6:49 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:

too small for most of my purposes anyway. The markup on those must be
outstanding...same as the bench cookies. Next thing you know, Harbor
Freight and Rockler may join forces.

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a
product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood
working is a hobby you can afford.

Did I say a high profit margin was a bad thing?

Well, you brought it up, and you certainly brought it up in a manner
that made it seem so.

In this case, I think
it's comical. IMHO, Apple is more deserving of the one they have.
And where the f. do you come accross talking to me like that?

Hopefully, with a good deal more woodworking experience under your belt,
you'll better appreciate the fact that the cost to benefit ratio of many
woodworking implements isn't always apparent to a novice.

ITMT, if it gets too hot in the kitchen, might want to reconsider firing
up the stove in the first place ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 6:49 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Sorry Bill, but then you mentioned the $5 price and passed and figured
the profit must be outstanding.....hopefully you are not just now
realizing that the less expensive the product the greater the profit
margin. I have run businesses since I was 21 years old and am
currently self employeed/retired. The perceived/comical mark up is a
fact of life, and that is absolutely not a very recent development.
Have you ever purchased valve stems with a set of tires. I used to sell
them for an exorbitant price of $1 each in the mid to late 70's. I paid
about 3 cents each for them. If inexpensive products did not have a
high mark up they would not be worth stocking and taking up room on the
shelf. How much would pay for that item if you had to have it shipped?
Ever wonder what the cost of a caned soft drink costs the retailer? How
about that $1.50 Coke at McDonald's, I can assure you that if there was
not the cost of the paper cup the drink would be almost all profit and
the reason free refills are offered.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/12 5:57 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Besides being cheap, foam brushes come in multiple sizes.

My last two times through Rockler's cashier, I was offered a glue brush.
The first time I asked hesitantly, "are they free?" and it was explained
that they were $4.99 (IIRC). I passed. I later realized that they were
too small for most of my purposes anyway. The markup on those must be
outstanding...same as the bench cookies. Next thing you know, Harbor
Freight and Rockler may join forces.

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a
product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood
working is a hobby you can afford.

Exactly. Always cracks me up when people say that. Something is worth
what someone will pay for it, period. I hope they are making several
hundred percent on them. That way they stay in business and will still
be available when I need to buy something.

Evil *******s, trying to make a profit. ;-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a
product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood
working is a hobby you can afford.

I don't drink, smoke, wear fancy clothes, chase women, drive or buy
fancy cars, go to restaurants (not by choice), or own any green tools.
And I don't have any children (not bragging, by any means), I don't have
a dime of debt and I haven't paid any interest to anyone in 25 years.

Being value-concious and being able to afford things are two entirely
separate matters, sir. I'm giving up cable-tv this week. Do you have
the balls to do that?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 6:49 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

I thougth I had enough when I saw they had desiged "slots" for your
bench for their bench cookies.

Now, this morning, I see they have a 3 piece "Glue Applicator Kit"
($14.99).

I hope you folks aren't encouraging them! ; )

Bill

Have you used them? They are pretty cool. I suppose you could try to
find some silicone material and make your own. Good luck with that.
:-)

[...]

I majored in economics (among other things). I have even worked in sales
and run my own (small) businesses. I understand the dynamics of a
transaction probably as well as anyone here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 5:57 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

More than likely they are making a few thousand percent mark up.

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years ago, he
had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of Blue
clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for
about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3
years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 9/19/2012 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

I thougth I had enough when I saw they had desiged "slots" for your
bench for their bench cookies.

Now, this morning, I see they have a 3 piece "Glue Applicator Kit"
($14.99).

I hope you folks aren't encouraging them! ; )

Bill

I suppose you are talking slots for fastening the cookies. They will
walk if you don't fasten them in place.

I tried my new painting pyramids the other day and the project went
skidding off it half a dozen times while the pyramids went skidding
all around the wax paper I put under them. I'm less impressed in them
after use, lemme tell ya. g I'll screw 'em to some scrap sheet next
time.

I have had 10 of them for a few years now. I mostly use them for
holding a fresh varnished piece to keep all sides up and ventilated.

The 3 piece kit, you sure don't need it but it sure makes life easier if
you can part with $15, especially if you do a lot of gluing.

Yeah, special heads for glue can be a godsend at times, ensuring good
coverage on both sides of biscuit holes, f'rinstance. I'm as fond of
Rockler's pricing as I am Festool's.

Don't go into Woodcraft. :~) Rockler is cheap by comparison.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:11:43 -0400, Bill wrote:
Being value-concious and being able to afford things are two entirely
separate matters, sir. I'm giving up cable-tv this week. Do you have
the balls to do that?

I wouldn't give up cable, but if you do, it may help you with your
woodworking because you might have more time for it.

Despite some of the critical language that goes on here and I'm
certainly not exempt from using it, try to look past it if the topic
is woodworking related... There's a whole lot of knowledge here for
the taking if you choose to do so.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/12 7:11 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a
product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood
working is a hobby you can afford.

I don't drink, smoke, wear fancy clothes, chase women, drive or buy
fancy cars, go to restaurants (not by choice), or own any green tools.
And I don't have any children (not bragging, by any means), I don't have
a dime of debt and I haven't paid any interest to anyone in 25 years.

Being value-concious and being able to afford things are two entirely
separate matters, sir. I'm giving up cable-tv this week. Do you have
the balls to do that?

Bill

Balls? Wow. So, you're preference to be entertained in difference ways
than another person means you have balls? Get over yourself.

We like to eat out, partly because we like to support our local economy.
I guess I don't have the balls to eat in.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

More than likely they are making a few thousand percent mark up.

Good for them. What's your point?

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years ago, he
had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of Blue
clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for
about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3
years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

So what? Great. They are worth what he's selling them for or he wouldn't
be selling them. You think it's too much, go to China and get them made
for yourself.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:11:43 -0400, Bill wrote:
Being value-concious and being able to afford things are two entirely
separate matters, sir. I'm giving up cable-tv this week. Do you have
the balls to do that?

I wouldn't give up cable, but if you do, it may help you with your
woodworking because you might have more time for it.

Despite some of the critical language that goes on here and I'm
certainly not exempt from using it, try to look past it if the topic
is woodworking related... There's a whole lot of knowledge here for
the taking if you choose to do so.

You didn't see me run for the door. Sharing a little tidbit with you
(and the group), you might be surprised how much a little knowledge of
woodcarving can make a difference in one's wood working technique. It
enhances ones appreciation of the structure of the wood and how to best
cut (wood fibers). I'm not a know-it-all, just sharing my personal
observation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

More than likely they are making a few thousand percent mark up.

Good for them. What's your point?

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years ago, he
had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of Blue
clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for
about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3
years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

So what? Great. They are worth what he's selling them for or he wouldn't
be selling them. You think it's too much, go to China and get them made
for yourself.

Could he have possibly been agreeing with, and reinforcing, exactly what
you said?

Have another beer, Mike. LOL

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 7:17 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 6:49 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

And yet I had to explain this to you....
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:11 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a
product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood
working is a hobby you can afford.

I don't drink, smoke, wear fancy clothes, chase women, drive or buy
fancy cars, go to restaurants (not by choice), or own any green tools.
And I don't have any children (not bragging, by any means), I don't have
a dime of debt and I haven't paid any interest to anyone in 25 years.

Being value-concious and being able to afford things are two entirely
separate matters, sir. I'm giving up cable-tv this week. Do you have
the balls to do that?

Bill

Balls? Wow. So, you're preference to be entertained in difference ways
than another person means you have balls?

It's not a matter of preference. It reminds me of when I gave up smoking.

Get over yourself.

That's not a problem. I'm humble.

We like to eat out, partly because we like to support our local economy.
I guess I don't have the balls to eat in.

I would love to be able to eat out on occasion, but I can't due do
dietary restrictions (food additives, artificial flavors and
preservatives). It makes travel inconvenient. But it eliminates my need
to consider whether I can afford to pursue woodworking, as Leon
suggested I might do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

More than likely they are making a few thousand percent mark up.

Good for them. What's your point?

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years ago, he
had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of Blue
clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for
about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3
years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

So what? Great. They are worth what he's selling them for or he wouldn't
be selling them. You think it's too much, go to China and get them made
for yourself.

I was just backing up buddy! LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:17 PM, Bill wrote:

I majored in economics (among other things). I have even worked in sales
and run my own (small) businesses. I understand the dynamics of a
transaction probably as well as anyone here.

And yet I had to explain this to you....

No, you didn't. That was my point. You made an inference because I wrote
two sentences next to each other that they were directly-related.
Then you brought out the F word, which we don't use in my house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Here is my post, rewritten:

Besides being cheap, foam brushes come in multiple sizes.

My last two times through Rockler's cashier, I was offered a glue brush.
The first time I asked hesitantly, "are they free?" and it was explained
that they were $4.99 (IIRC). I passed. I later realized that they were
too small for most of my purposes anyway.

The markup on those must be outstanding...same as the bench cookies.
Next thing you know, Harbor Freight and Rockler may join forces.

[The markup had nothing to do with my refusal! -- I already had 2 bads
of foam brushes at home!!!]

I think it would make the store Alot more exciting if they were a little
bit more like a woodworking school. If they offer the right things I'll
spend, but I'm not talking about a glue brush or a bench cookie! I'm
not interested in turning a pen either! : ) Some visitors seem to
enjoy seeing the carvers there on Saturday morning--I've seen them ask.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 7:11 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a
product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood
working is a hobby you can afford.

I don't drink, smoke, wear fancy clothes, chase women, drive or buy
fancy cars, go to restaurants (not by choice), or own any green tools.
And I don't have any children (not bragging, by any means), I don't have
a dime of debt and I haven't paid any interest to anyone in 25 years.

Being value-concious and being able to afford things are two entirely
separate matters, sir. I'm giving up cable-tv this week. Do you have
the balls to do that?

Bill

Well my wife and I sent our son through college and masters degree
school. He graduated in the Spring of 2010. LOL. We have been debt
free since 1997. I was 42 at the time and retired. We pay cash for
everything, including the house we bought 20 months ago, unless the
interest that is offered is zero percent interest. I am not giving up
Uverse and choose not to. BTY our son owns his home and will have it
paid for by the end of next year if all goes as planned. He bought the
house almost 2 years ago. Not bad for a 25 year old.

I did not study economics in college.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/12 7:45 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

More than likely they are making a few thousand percent mark up.

Good for them. What's your point?

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years ago, he
had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of Blue
clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for
about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3
years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

So what? Great. They are worth what he's selling them for or he wouldn't
be selling them. You think it's too much, go to China and get them made
for yourself.

Could he have possibly been agreeing with, and reinforcing, exactly what
you said?

Have another beer, Mike. LOL

Done. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 7:51 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:17 PM, Bill wrote:

I majored in economics (among other things). I have even worked in sales
and run my own (small) businesses. I understand the dynamics of a
transaction probably as well as anyone here.

And yet I had to explain this to you....

No, you didn't. That was my point. You made an inference because I wrote
two sentences next to each other that they were directly-related.
Then you brought out the F word, which we don't use in my house.

Bill you naturally assumed a particular F-word, it could have been any
F-Word but that is where you went with it. Any way I apologise for
getting up in your face but it is some what offensive to those of us
that do spend money on items that you think are comically priced.

And yeah for an economics major you seemed to have forgotten a lot.
What you find comical about retail pricing is pretty much 101 in most
any type business degree.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/12 7:47 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:11 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a
product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood
working is a hobby you can afford.

I don't drink, smoke, wear fancy clothes, chase women, drive or buy
fancy cars, go to restaurants (not by choice), or own any green tools.
And I don't have any children (not bragging, by any means), I don't have
a dime of debt and I haven't paid any interest to anyone in 25 years.

Being value-concious and being able to afford things are two entirely
separate matters, sir. I'm giving up cable-tv this week. Do you have
the balls to do that?

Bill

Balls? Wow. So, you're preference to be entertained in difference ways
than another person means you have balls?

It's not a matter of preference. It reminds me of when I gave up smoking.

Yes, because cable gives you cancer. Still doesn't explain why somehow
it takes "balls" to give up an entertainment choice.

Get over yourself.

That's not a problem. I'm humble.

We like to eat out, partly because we like to support our local economy.
I guess I don't have the balls to eat in.

I would love to be able to eat out on occasion, but I can't due do
dietary restrictions (food additives, artificial flavors and
preservatives). It makes travel inconvenient. But it eliminates my need
to consider whether I can afford to pursue woodworking, as Leon
suggested I might do.

What does that have to do with being value conscience?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/12 7:48 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

More than likely they are making a few thousand percent mark up.

Good for them. What's your point?

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years ago, he
had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of Blue
clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for
about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3
years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

So what? Great. They are worth what he's selling them for or he wouldn't
be selling them. You think it's too much, go to China and get them made
for yourself.

I was just backing up buddy! LOL

Crap... we're gonna have to put you in the next beer summit! :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 7:57 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Ok, Outstanding is still not the right word. :~) Nothing outstanding
about an ordinary practice that has been used for many many years.

Perhaps, mark up on those "glue brushes" must be more than on a TS.

And still I wonder why you chose to bring that up? Don't go near a
jewelery store. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 8:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:48 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

More than likely they are making a few thousand percent mark up.

Good for them. What's your point?

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years ago, he
had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of
Blue
clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for
about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3
years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

So what? Great. They are worth what he's selling them for or he wouldn't
be selling them. You think it's too much, go to China and get them made
for yourself.

I was just backing up buddy! LOL

Crap... we're gonna have to put you in the next beer summit! :-)

I'd love to do that but I really need to go to Swingmans house when that
happens. LOL I need a more personal experience. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/12 8:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 8:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:48 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

What you guys do with each other in the privacy of his bedroom, um I
mean house, is your business... I don't judge. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 8:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:48 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

More than likely they are making a few thousand percent mark up.

Good for them. What's your point?

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years ago, he
had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of
Blue
clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for
about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3
years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

So what? Great. They are worth what he's selling them for or he wouldn't
be selling them. You think it's too much, go to China and get them made
for yourself.

I was just backing up buddy! LOL

Crap... we're gonna have to put you in the next beer summit! :-)

LOL. Speaking of which ...

You seem to have the skill set necessary to put it together. WTF are you
waiting for??

Just kidding, I would love to do that again, and participate in a
fiduciary way, or otherwise, particularly if we can get Rob and Han, and
C_less this time, and anyone else here who wants to participate.

For you Luddites, this is Google Hangout territory, Honk if you ken ...

Mike, is there a limit on a Hangout?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:11 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Yep.

I did not study economics in college.

I started off with that, and felt the need to finish it even though I
ened up doing more in computer science. My parents helped me get that
far, at least for tuition.

Then after working a few years, I put myself through a MS and PhD in
math. My hiring institution encouraged me to pursue a MS in computer
science in my spare time (one of the busiest periods of my life).

You and I are about the same age. I could not retire at 42! (nice...)

If you were a Comcast customer instead of a U-verse customer you might
feel differently. Of course, I remember when ATT charged me about $80
to turn on my phone service. Comcast tries to charge all of their
customers differently--complain about pricing and you'll find that they
are "running a promotion". You would notice that they just want to keep
"raising those prices", charges for this, charges for that. They are
even inventing new (home security) services. In cancelling my service,
I am just reaccessing my needs. I ordered a linkstick (usb device) for
my tv yesterday in case we wish to try downloading a video. I
anticipate buying a "leaf indoor antenna" to get the local stations and
PBS (which is mostly what we watch anyway!).
I'm saying, to heck with Comcast's incessant price increases. I don't
appreciate the "pressure". I'll tell them that it's "just business",
which is close to what they tell me when they send out their new prices
every February, or so. Incidentally, thats the only chance you gets to
see all of their prices. At least, they are not available online
anywhere. I expect they are required to disclose their prices by law.
I don't want to send my money to a company that does business in that
fashion. I'm cutting them back to $62.95/mo, plus taxes! : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/12 8:28 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/19/2012 8:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:48 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

As soon as someone sends *me* some beer ehem!, I'll get right on
that. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:51 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:17 PM, Bill wrote:

Bill you naturally assumed a particular F-word,

Well, WTH does WTF mean???

it could have been any
F-Word but that is where you went with it. Any way I apologise for
getting up in your face but it is some what offensive to those of us
that do spend money on items that you think are comically priced.

Following your logic/economics, your decison of whether to buy something
or not should have nothing to do with My perceived value of it (or
whether I find its pricing humorous or not!)

You could laugh out loud about what I have been spending on wood carving
gouges, but at least they are made out of good steel! ; )

And yeah for an economics major you seemed to have forgotten a lot. What
you find comical about retail pricing is pretty much 101 in most any
type business degree.

Humor is all in the eye of the beholder. I laugh when the price of gas
shoots up!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:51:36 -0400, Bill wrote:

Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:17 PM, Bill wrote:

I majored in economics (among other things). I have even worked in sales
and run my own (small) businesses. I understand the dynamics of a
transaction probably as well as anyone here.

And yet I had to explain this to you....

No, you didn't. That was my point. You made an inference because I wrote
two sentences next to each other that they were directly-related.
Then you brought out the F word, which we don't use in my house.

Then perhaps Usenet is not the medium you should be using.

Rockler story Doug Winterburn Woodworking 2 April 21st 09 06:43 AM
Rockler 10% off DGDevin Woodworking 16 February 25th 09 02:36 PM
Rockler Wundercoat Paul O. Woodworking 4 May 8th 05 04:49 PM
FS:Rockler Jig It Templates [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 3rd 05 11:11 PM
Rockler Ron Woodworking 7 January 18th 04 11:35 PM