Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockler

Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:57 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:

The markup on those must be outstanding...same as the bench cookies.

Ok, Outstanding is still not the right word. :~) Nothing outstanding
about an ordinary practice that has been used for many many years.

I'm not sure it's not the right word. I can imagine Rockler's CEO
writing in the annual report:

"Because of their high perceived-value, the demand for, and our
retail-markup on Rockler Glue Brushes and Rockler Bench Cookies (TM) has
been absolutely-outstanding! For many of our franchisees, these play a
decisive role in their ability to remain viable. We will be offering
several new products, aimed at offering an even greater level of
satisfaction and convenience to our customers, which we are eager to
release early in the coming fiscal year!...".

Perhaps, mark up on those "glue brushes" must be more than on a TS.

And still I wonder why you chose to bring that up? Don't go near a
jewelery store. ;~)

I tried to explain to them that I wasn't as worried about the money for
the engagement ring, as much as I was about its consequences! Things
bascially worked out in my favor though! : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:51:36 -0400, Bill wrote:

Then you brought out the F word, which we don't use in my house.

Then perhaps Usenet is not the medium you should be using.

I like to think it works both ways. I brought some of me and my house
onto the Usenet, and vice-versa. Time goes by too fast to put up lots of
walls.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:44:42 -0400, Bill wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

I thougth I had enough when I saw they had desiged "slots" for your
bench for their bench cookies.

Now, this morning, I see they have a 3 piece "Glue Applicator Kit"
($14.99).

I hope you folks aren't encouraging them! ; )

Bill

Have you used them? They are pretty cool. I suppose you could try to
find some silicone material and make your own. Good luck with that. :-)

The first time you use one of those spreaders and peel all the glue off
with one yank, it's worth the price of admission right then and there. I
suppose if you'd rather use scraps of wood to spread your glue or foam
brushes, you'll be happy. Those foam brushes start to add up and I never
seem to have a clean one handy. Good luck cleaning the glue off of
those. :-) To each his own.

Besides, in a couple months they'll be $9.99 with free shipping.

Besides being cheap, foam brushes come in multiple sizes.

My last two times through Rockler's cashier, I was offered a glue brush.
The first time I asked hesitantly, "are they free?" and it was explained
that they were $4.99 (IIRC). I passed. I later realized that they were
too small for most of my purposes anyway. The markup on those must be
outstanding...same as the bench cookies. Next thing you know, Harbor
Freight and Rockler may join forces.

I think it would make the store Alot more exciting if they were a little
bit more like a woodworking school. If they offer the right things I'll
spend, but I'm not talking about a glue brush or a bench cookie! I'm
not interested in turning a pen either! : ) Some visitors seem to
enjoy seeing the carvers there on Saturday morning--I've seen them ask.

Iffen it's glue brushes or paint brushes you're needin', me lad, here
y'a

Super cheaparse stuff http://tinyurl.com/ce4azay (glue)

Fair to middlin' http://tinyurl.com/cenpfln (glue or paint)

Fair to middlin' http://tinyurl.com/cg5oct3 (paint or finishes)

EXCELLENT glue brushes http://tinyurl.com/8boywk9 Reusable, too.
I preferred the old pure nylon style, but these are good as well.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS: 39687/8/9 "pro" brushes. NEE!
http://tinyurl.com/9gte6p2 These are the worst brushes I've ever used
in my _life_, and I've bought lots of cheap brushes in my time.
Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away!

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:28:33 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/19/2012 8:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:48 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

More than likely they are making a few thousand percent mark up.

Good for them. What's your point?

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years ago, he
had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of
Blue
clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for
about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3
years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

So what? Great. They are worth what he's selling them for or he wouldn't
be selling them. You think it's too much, go to China and get them made
for yourself.

I was just backing up buddy! LOL

Crap... we're gonna have to put you in the next beer summit! :-)

LOL. Speaking of which ...

You seem to have the skill set necessary to put it together. WTF are you
waiting for??

Just kidding, I would love to do that again, and participate in a
fiduciary way, or otherwise, particularly if we can get Rob and Han, and
C_less this time, and anyone else here who wants to participate.

Whassa beer summit? And why would an ex-drunk like me want to
participate?

For you Luddites, this is Google Hangout territory, Honk if you ken ...

knock, knock Whassat?

Mike, is there a limit on a Hangout?

On a hangover, the limit is one per person per day. (Any more and
you're either still drunk or doing something very, very wrong.)

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
than not, unconsidered.
-- Andre Gide
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:27:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/19/2012 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

I thougth I had enough when I saw they had desiged "slots" for your
bench for their bench cookies.

Now, this morning, I see they have a 3 piece "Glue Applicator Kit"
($14.99).

I hope you folks aren't encouraging them! ; )

Not impressed with the kit, but don't knock that sillycone glue brush
until you try it.

I love sillycone in the kitchen. The new spatulas are wunnerful.

The spade end is great for putting glue in mortises, and the brush end
spreads nicely and cleans up after itself ...

PE is like that, too. It's nice!

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
than not, unconsidered.
-- Andre Gide

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

AVOID AT ALL COSTS: 39687/8/9 "pro" brushes. NEE!
http://tinyurl.com/9gte6p2 These are the worst brushes I've ever used
in my _life_, and I've bought lots of cheap brushes in my time.
Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away!

LOL -- Does the "hair" fall out???

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
than not, unconsidered.
-- Andre Gide

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:30:31 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years ago, he
had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of Blue
clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for
about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3
years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

So what? Great. They are worth what he's selling them for or he wouldn't
be selling them. You think it's too much, go to China and get them made
for yourself.

I don't have a problem with big markups. As pointed out, on low cost
items it is needed to cover the cost of stocking them. What does bug
me though, is when you see something re-purposed. A tool in the
hardware stores goes for $5, but the same exact tool in a kitchen or
craft shop may be selling for $15.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 23:04:31 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

AVOID AT ALL COSTS: 39687/8/9 "pro" brushes. NEE!
http://tinyurl.com/9gte6p2 These are the worst brushes I've ever used
in my _life_, and I've bought lots of cheap brushes in my time.
Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away!

LOL -- Does the "hair" fall out???

No, it just goes limp (al dente) with waterborne OR oil-based paints.
Weird!

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
than not, unconsidered.
-- Andre Gide
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 22:29:43 -0400, Bill wrote:

Markem wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:51:36 -0400, Bill wrote:

Then you brought out the F word, which we don't use in my house.

Then perhaps Usenet is not the medium you should be using.

I like to think it works both ways. I brought some of me and my house
onto the Usenet, and vice-versa. Time goes by too fast to put up lots of
walls.

Take your pretentious ass somewhere else I am not in the mood for some
crap from you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:51:36 -0400, Bill wrote:

Then you brought out the F word, which we don't use in my house.

Then perhaps Usenet is not the medium you should be using.

I like to think it works both ways. I brought some of me and my house
onto the Usenet, and vice-versa. Time goes by too fast to put up lots of
walls.

Take your pretentious ass somewhere else I am not in the mood for some
crap from you.

Who the hell are you?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:51:36 -0400, Bill wrote:

Then you brought out the F word, which we don't use in my house.

Then perhaps Usenet is not the medium you should be using.

I like to think it works both ways. I brought some of me and my house
onto the Usenet, and vice-versa. Time goes by too fast to put up lots of
walls.

Take your pretentious ass somewhere else I am not in the mood for some
crap from you.

Who the hell are you?

A person who has been using Usenet since 94. One who does not like
your holier than thou attitude. A person who is ready to use the full
color of the English language to express that dislike if I choose. You
see I can do that here. There is not anything you can do to stop me
from doing so.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 03:39:13 -0500, Markem
wrote:

A person who has been using Usenet since 94. One who does not like
your holier than thou attitude. A person who is ready to use the full
color of the English language to express that dislike if I choose. You
see I can do that here. There is not anything you can do to stop me
from doing so.

You're threatening to threaten him?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

A person who has been using Usenet since 94. One who does not like
your holier than thou attitude. A person who is ready to use the full
color of the English language to express that dislike if I choose. You
see I can do that here. There is not anything you can do to stop me
from doing so.

You're threatening to threaten him?

A threat would involve doing physcal harm in my view. Expressing my
dislike of him is hardly a threat and I believe that falls within my
rights a an individual.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

We like to eat out, partly because we like to support our local
economy. I guess I don't have the balls to eat in.

Ummmmm.... no - let it go Mike, he meant going out to eat... let it go...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill writes:
Leon wrote:

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a
product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood
working is a hobby you can afford.

Did I say a high profit margin was a bad thing? In this case, I think
it's comical. IMHO, Apple is more deserving of the one they have.
And where the f. do you come accross talking to me like that?

Welcome to the wreck, where heaping abuse on posters is de rigueur.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/20/2012 9:01 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Bill writes:
Leon wrote:

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a
product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood
working is a hobby you can afford.

Did I say a high profit margin was a bad thing? In this case, I think
it's comical. IMHO, Apple is more deserving of the one they have.
And where the f. do you come accross talking to me like that?

Welcome to the wreck, where heaping abuse on posters is de rigueur.

You left out, where complaining, about the unknown, is common place.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 8:55 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:51 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:17 PM, Bill wrote:

Bill you naturally assumed a particular F-word,

Well, WTH does WTF mean???

it could have been any
F-Word but that is where you went with it. Any way I apologise for
getting up in your face but it is some what offensive to those of us
that do spend money on items that you think are comically priced.

Following your logic/economics, your decison of whether to buy something
or not should have nothing to do with My perceived value of it (or
whether I find its pricing humorous or not!)

You could laugh out loud about what I have been spending on wood carving
gouges, but at least they are made out of good steel! ; )

Probably not, I own Festool tools. ;~)

And yeah for an economics major you seemed to have forgotten a lot. What
you find comical about retail pricing is pretty much 101 in most any
type business degree.

Humor is all in the eye of the beholder. I laugh when the price of gas
shoots up!

I don't laugh but it most often makes my portfolio look better. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2012 8:24 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 8:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 8:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:48 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

More than likely they are making a few thousand percent mark up.

Good for them. What's your point?

I was talking with the owner of a WW store near me a few years
ago, he
had started stocking Rockler merchandise in his store. The pair of
Blue
clamps used to hold a sacrificial fence onto a TS rip fence sold for
about $15, 5 or 6 years ago. He me told after closing his business 3
years ago that he was paying about 15~20 cents for the pair.

So what? Great. They are worth what he's selling them for or he
wouldn't
be selling them. You think it's too much, go to China and get them
made
for yourself.

I was just backing up buddy! LOL

Crap... we're gonna have to put you in the next beer summit! :-)

I'd love to do that but I really need to go to Swingmans house when that
happens. LOL I need a more personal experience. ;~)

What you guys do with each other in the privacy of his bedroom, um I
mean house, is your business... I don't judge. :-p

Swingman does introduce me to his neighbors as his partner that he met
on the internet. ;~O

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/20/2012 1:30 PM, Leon wrote:
Swingman does introduce me to his neighbors as his partner that he met
on the internet. ;~O

Yabbut, you said you were a French model ... bahn jyour! LOL

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:30:21 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/19/2012 8:24 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 8:18 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 8:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:48 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:30 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/12 7:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/19/2012 7:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

You two are finally out of the closet, eh? wink

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/20/12 2:48 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/20/2012 1:30 PM, Leon wrote:
Swingman does introduce me to his neighbors as his partner that he met
on the internet. ;~O

Yabbut, you said you were a French model ... bahn jyour! LOL

I just threw up in my mouth.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/20/2012 1:30 PM, Leon wrote:
Swingman does introduce me to his neighbors as his partner that he met
on the internet. ;~O

Yabbut, you said you were a French model ... bahn jyour! LOL

I just threw up in my mouth.

You do that a lot ... here's the punch line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx4twCK3_I

LOL ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Crap... we're gonna have to put you in the next beer summit! :-)

LOL. Speaking of which ...

Mike, is there a limit on a Hangout?

As soon as someone sends *me* some beer ehem!, I'll get right on
that. :-p

If it helps, I have a keg of an Irish red ale that I brewed a couple
weeks ago in the kegerator...and I'll be brewing more after I get home
from vacation...come on over...the beer will be served in the correct
glass AND at the correct temp!

Oh...southern Wisconsin, BTW

the OTHER mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

snippage

I tried my new painting pyramids the other day and the project went
skidding off it half a dozen times while the pyramids went skidding
all around the wax paper I put under them. I'm less impressed in them
after use, lemme tell ya. g I'll screw 'em to some scrap sheet next
time.

I had the same trouble...so I glued a piece of router mat to one side
of each pyramid...no more sliding around.

Oh...I don't use wax paper...very slippery...I use kraft paper. The
router mat-stuff sticks just fine to that stuff.

YRMV

the OTHER mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/21/12 9:37 PM, Mike wrote:

Crap... we're gonna have to put you in the next beer summit! :-)

LOL. Speaking of which ...

Mike, is there a limit on a Hangout?

As soon as someone sends *me* some beer ehem!, I'll get right on
that. :-p

If it helps, I have a keg of an Irish red ale that I brewed a couple
weeks ago in the kegerator...and I'll be brewing more after I get home
from vacation...come on over...the beer will be served in the correct
glass AND at the correct temp!

Oh...southern Wisconsin, BTW

the OTHER mike

Wisconsin has the best beer stores!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:47:38 -0500, Mike wrote:

snippage

I tried my new painting pyramids the other day and the project went
skidding off it half a dozen times while the pyramids went skidding
all around the wax paper I put under them. I'm less impressed in them
after use, lemme tell ya. g I'll screw 'em to some scrap sheet next
time.

I had the same trouble...so I glued a piece of router mat to one side
of each pyramid...no more sliding around.

Oh...I don't use wax paper...very slippery...I use kraft paper. The
router mat-stuff sticks just fine to that stuff.

I buy remnant rolls ($1-$5 for several thousand feet) of several types
of paper from the newspaper office for use on my assy table, but I
didn't have one there at the time. The wax paper was handy so I used
it. Bad move. Shoulda screwed. g

Route mat sounds like a plan. I have lots of that same rubbery shelf
paper stuff which would work. I think I'll try that this weekend on a
few. Thanks.

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have

Rockler story Doug Winterburn Woodworking 2 April 21st 09 06:43 AM
Rockler 10% off DGDevin Woodworking 16 February 25th 09 02:36 PM
Rockler Wundercoat Paul O. Woodworking 4 May 8th 05 04:49 PM
FS:Rockler Jig It Templates [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 3rd 05 11:11 PM
Rockler Ron Woodworking 7 January 18th 04 11:35 PM