Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Oil-less compressor replacement tank...

It's not worth a lot, granted, but I did just recently put a new set of
rings in it so the compressor portion is good for quite a while
yet...but the small (6-gal) tank sprung a series of pinholes the other
day. I can see there's a flaw in the material running in a line so it's
going to continue to make more...

I figured it wouldn't be hard to find a "veritable plethora" of tanks
but a quick search turned up little or nothing other than the portable
bubbles...

Anybody seen/know of a source (inexpensive, of course) for a replacement
tank that wouldn't be more than the whole compressor? I know, HF and
their ilk are pretty cheap and I suppose that's the reason there isn't
anything showing up...oh, this is 6 gal and it's just a secondary that
had in TN that brought back. It has been kinda' handy to have in the
shop whereas the large tank is over in the barn and there's not plumbing
between (and the shop area is small enough not really that keen on
taking up the space the other one would require)...

I've got several old pressure tanks, I've debated converting one but
that suffers the same size problem as does/would moving the other (plus
then there wouldn't be air over there which would be even more
inconvenient)...

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else here has dealt w/ the problem by
replacing tank or just toss the old compressor in the "never-to-be-used
but still good pile" and just get another small one. I suppose I could
go the pancake route instead...or, of course, one could rig up a mount
on just a bubble, too; was trying to minimize the amount of effort as a
secondary objective...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 09:52:23 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

Go to a truck junkyard, one for tractor trucks, there is an auxilliary
storage tank on semi trailers that is about 6 gallons, they are a dime a
dozen around here.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/16/2012 11:08 AM, "__ Bøb __" wrote:
Where are you located ???...

Far SW KS...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"__ Bøb __" wrote:
Not good ... I'm in S.E. Tennessee

On 9/16/2012 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:
On 9/16/2012 11:08 AM, "__ Bøb __" wrote:
Where are you located ???...

Far SW KS...

--

I've used worse excuses for a road trip.

--
G.W. Ross

It is better to die on your feet than
to live on your knees.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/16/2012 4:16 PM, "__ Bøb __" wrote:
Not good ... I'm in S.E. Tennessee

Daughter in Alcoa/Maryville area but no trip planned...as another said,
"could change"

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/16/2012 10:07 AM, basilisk wrote:

Go to a truck junkyard, one for tractor trucks, there is an auxilliary
storage tank on semi trailers that is about 6 gallons, they are a dime a
dozen around here.

That's not a bad idea at all, thanks--altho there's not an actual
boneyard around close there are some opportunities, perhaps...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

Couldn't you braze the pinholes and the area around them?
In essence, the tank acts as a kind of frame for the brass. I did this on a
muffler once, worked pretty well.
Muffler became pretty heavy, tho... LOL

Some epoxies might work, by kind of dripping thru the hole slightly, and not
being able to come back out, once hardened.
--
EA

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

"dpb" wrote in message ...

see there's a flaw in the material running in a line so it's going to
continue to make more...

Couldn't you braze the pinholes and the area around them?

See above...