Posted to rec.woodworking

Default In the interest of woodworking content - Part Deux: FINISHED

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...86556991341 0

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2012 3:13 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...86556991341 0

Those look great, I like the stepped frame look.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2012 3:40 PM, Leon wrote:

Those look great, I like the stepped frame look.

Thanks ... getting the 'frame-within-a-frame' design element on those
last two cabinets was very important to the client. Both sets of
cabinets had some out of the ordinary spec's ... not fancy, just made it
more fun than a carcase and a face frame.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:13:01 -0500, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...86556991341 0

Hey, Swing. Are you going to use the glass shelves direct in the
wooden housings, then affix the mirror door to them, too? I thought
these were boxes to hold the entire Kohler cabs.

P.S: Do you know what finish the end user will use (probably smear) on
it?

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2012 5:58 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:13:01 -0500, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...86556991341 0

Hey, Swing. Are you going to use the glass shelves direct in the
wooden housings, then affix the mirror door to them, too? I thought
these were boxes to hold the entire Kohler cabs.

Run back through the photos and you will see there are four cabinets,
with two separate styles:

Two flush mount medicine cabinets for over the sinks in two bathrooms.

Two glass shelf cabinets going over the commodes in the two bathrooms.

P.S: Do you know what finish the end user will use (probably smear) on
it?

Yep, it appears so ... after physically seeing a prototype chair I built
with poplar using General Finishes "Java" Gel Stain, it will be most
likely be literally smeared thusly.

The poplar prototype chair, with some pretty bodacious poplar popsicle
colors in it (lime green, I'm told), turned out not all that bad, and
you can see the grain:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...42 5704906610

Turns out it is exactly the effect this particular client was looking
for, but didn't know how to achieve ... (AAMOF, I gave him that _old_
leftover can of Java gel stain, and some project maple scraps to
practice on, and he apparently likes what he's getting.

Besides, not my problem (for a change) ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 18:38:37 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/14/2012 5:58 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:13:01 -0500, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...86556991341 0

Hey, Swing. Are you going to use the glass shelves direct in the
wooden housings, then affix the mirror door to them, too? I thought
these were boxes to hold the entire Kohler cabs.

Run back through the photos and you will see there are four cabinets,
with two separate styles:

Two flush mount medicine cabinets for over the sinks in two bathrooms.

Two glass shelf cabinets going over the commodes in the two bathrooms.

So there are! Cool.

P.S: Do you know what finish the end user will use (probably smear) on
it?

Yep, it appears so ... after physically seeing a prototype chair I built
with poplar using General Finishes "Java" Gel Stain, it will be most
likely be literally smeared thusly.

I _knew_ it. sigh

The poplar prototype chair, with some pretty bodacious poplar popsicle
colors in it (lime green, I'm told), turned out not all that bad, and
you can see the grain:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...42 5704906610

'Taint lime green nohow. Brown with a bit of red.

Turns out it is exactly the effect this particular client was looking
for, but didn't know how to achieve ... (AAMOF, I gave him that _old_
leftover can of Java gel stain, and some project maple scraps to
practice on, and he apparently likes what he's getting.

I like the oak one much, much better.
http://tinyurl.com/8cq7w4x

The one on the right is butt fugly, colorwise.
http://tinyurl.com/95cdrh6

Besides, not my problem (for a change) ...

Congrats, sir! Nice work, as usual, too.

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2012 11:02 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

'Taint lime green nohow. Brown with a bit of red.

I'm at the mercy of those who didn't color grass pink until they learned
how to read ...

I like the oak one much, much better.
http://tinyurl.com/8cq7w4x

That's why I built six of them ...

The one on the right is butt fugly, colorwise.
http://tinyurl.com/95cdrh6

You don't look in the mouth of ten dollar chair from a garage sale.

Besides, that chair is at least 100 years older than we are, and abused
by some misguided female (refinished) ... sound familiar? LOL

Besides, not my problem (for a change) ...

Congrats, sir! Nice work, as usual, too.

Thank you, kind sir!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 08:34:32 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/14/2012 11:02 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

'Taint lime green nohow. Brown with a bit of red.

I'm at the mercy of those who didn't color grass pink until they learned
how to read ...

I like the oak one much, much better.
http://tinyurl.com/8cq7w4x

That's why I built six of them ...

Not poplar? I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to detail.

The one on the right is butt fugly, colorwise.
http://tinyurl.com/95cdrh6

You don't look in the mouth of ten dollar chair from a garage sale.

Sure you do. You rinse its mouth out with any solvent which will take
that butt fugly color off it, too. But ya got a point.

Besides, that chair is at least 100 years older than we are, and abused
by some misguided female (refinished) ... sound familiar? LOL

Too, too familiar. Almost as bad as whitewashed wood.