Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gorton J-22 Part Deux

Well I got the spindle Thingy...an adapter out ..its a Brown & Sharp #9
to Gorton Spring Collet adapter.

After spritizing a load of penetrating fluid into the top of the spindle
a coupl days ago, today I took a draw bar from my working Gorton and
screwed it into the top of the #9 adapter and tapped it a few times and
it came out.

Now Ive got to figure out why the quill wont drop. It kinda sorta
moves....before I removed the #9 adapter, I was able to beat it down
about 3/4" with a big hammer (and a block of wood) and was able to drive
it back up again..but it didnt want to move very far. So its time to
strip the head down, and see whats going on. I suspect that the quill
drive gear is either bad, or has sheared its pin on the lever assembly.

I was kinda hoping it was B&S #10....there is a guy on ebay selling #10
to R8 adapters for $90...sigh..and getting a #9 ground to R8 costs $250
plus shipping from Wells-Index. Shrug...but Ive got a full set+ of R8
kicking around in secure storage..so Looks like Im gonna have to bite
the bullet and have it ground to R8.

Im not a big fan of B&S #9..though it does work and Ive got a few pieces
of tooling.

I wish I could find a carcase with NMTP 40 spindle in it....sigh

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-24, Gunner Asch wrote:
Well I got the spindle Thingy...an adapter out ..its a Brown & Sharp #9
to Gorton Spring Collet adapter.

[ ... ]

I was kinda hoping it was B&S #10....there is a guy on ebay selling #10
to R8 adapters for $90...sigh..and getting a #9 ground to R8 costs $250
plus shipping from Wells-Index. Shrug...but Ive got a full set+ of R8
kicking around in secure storage..so Looks like Im gonna have to bite
the bullet and have it ground to R8.

Hmm ... how different would it be having it ground to NMTB 30?
The taper is the same, it just stops larger on the R8. (And do you have
any NTMB 30 taper tooling?

Im not a big fan of B&S #9..though it does work and Ive got a few pieces
of tooling.

That's more than I have for that taper.

I wish I could find a carcase with NMTP 40 spindle in it....sigh

Understood.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564