Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best laid plans... (Sketchup, AutoCAD and Stickley)

1. Carefully measure from pictures and take dims from old catalogs to develop plans for a stickley reproduction side table #2568 (kind of rare). Like this one http://p2.la-img.com/429/14433/4560722_1_l.jpg

2. Create entire detailed model in Sketchup including every mortise, tenon and internal drawer supports.

3. Confident every construction and assembly detail has been addressed.

4. Transfer all parts to 2D drawings (by redrawing in AutoCAD) where I have best expertise.

5. Mill parts for 3 sets (6 tables) in Cherry.

6. Start test assembly of one table and build front frame (legs and drawers spreaders) as the first sub assembly.

7. During dry fit realize that mortises for lower trestle spreaders were detailed (drawn) on inner face of legs instead of back face of legs.

8. Lucky to realize can swap left and right legs and do some milling changes to top section and still pull it off.

9. Consider learing how to do good drafting in Sketchup so I can draft over actual 3D parts instead of redrawing in 2D.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

9. Consider learing how to do good drafting in Sketchup so I can draft
over actual 3D parts instead of redrawing in 2D.

Works for me ....

Good save on the previous 8 points ... That's where it's at, in any event

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

[...]

================================================== ================================================== =============

Unless Sketchup has changed since I last used it, you really can't do good
drafting in it. If it will save to a SAT (ACIS), it can be imported into
Autocad were you can generate 2D drawings directly from the model with no
tracing or redrawing required. You could also do the 3D in Autocad. Not
really recommended as Autocad sucks for 3D but it can be done. I use
Turbocad. I do a 3D model including all joints drawer slides ect. I then
generate 2D drawings all in in the same program. Keeping everything in a
fully capable program avoids errors. Then, when I get to the shop, all I
have to do is cut according to print and assemble.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:28:00 PM UTC-7, CW wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message ... 1. Carefully measure from pictures and take dims from old catalogs to develop plans for a stickley reproduction side table #2568 (kind of rare). Like this one http://p2.la-img.com/429/14433/4560722_1_l.jpg 2. Create entire detailed model in Sketchup including every mortise, tenon and internal drawer supports. 3. Confident every construction and assembly detail has been addressed. 4. Transfer all parts to 2D drawings (by redrawing in AutoCAD) where I have best expertise. 5. Mill parts for 3 sets (6 tables) in Cherry. 6. Start test assembly of one table and build front frame (legs and drawers spreaders) as the first sub assembly. 7. During dry fit realize that mortises for lower trestle spreaders were detailed (drawn) on inner face of legs instead of back face of legs. 8. Lucky to realize can swap left and right legs and do some milling changes to top section and still pull it off. 9. Consider learing how to do good drafting in Sketchup so I can draft over actual 3D parts instead of redrawing in 2D. ================================================== ================================================== ============= Unless Sketchup has changed since I last used it, you really can't do good drafting in it. If it will save to a SAT (ACIS), it can be imported into Autocad were you can generate 2D drawings directly from the model with no tracing or redrawing required. You could also do the 3D in Autocad. Not really recommended as Autocad sucks for 3D but it can be done. I use Turbocad. I do a 3D model including all joints drawer slides ect. I then generate 2D drawings all in in the same program. Keeping everything in a fully capable program avoids errors. Then, when I get to the shop, all I have to do is cut according to print and assemble.

Yeah, if I had the patience to learn Inventor or SolidWorks I would be a lot better off. True 3D with real-time 2D views for drafting. I am in the CAD industry and can get all this stuff for free but don't spend too much time as a user anymore, except home at night drawing furniture.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/2012 2:28 PM, CW wrote:

[...]

Apparently it has change drastically since you last used it. Goodbye
AutoCAD. 2D drawings, to scale or actual size are stupid simple.

Seriously, especially for woodworking. Sketchup is so damn simple to use
you wonder why the others are so damn hard by comparison. Click a
single icon and you have the 2D view of choice, then simply print.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/2012 10:37 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/8/2012 2:28 PM, CW wrote:

[...]

And have been for over 30 years.
I've used DesignCAD for at least that long!

That and an Epson FX-100 (which I lament it's passing) made hundreds of
extremely accurate patterns over the decades.

Anybody have a working FX-100 they might part with?

Seriously, especially for woodworking. Sketchup is so damn simple to use
you wonder why the others are so damn hard by comparison. Click a single
icon and you have the 2D view of choice, then simply print.

Pass!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sketchup is so damn simple to use you wonder why the others are so damn hard by comparison. Click a single icon and you have the 2D view of choice, then simply print.

I have no problem getting a 2D view but detailing it with all the dimensions and annotations in a professional manner seems far beyond what I can do with it. Yes I can add a few linear dimensions here and there but no real control of how they look, scale, font size and type, which dims belong to which part (layers? views?) controlling unit precision, can it do angular and radial dimensions? Leader with annotation, etc., etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Sketchup is so damn simple to use you wonder why the others are so damn
hard by comparison. Click a single icon and you have the 2D view of
choice, then simply print.

I have no problem getting a 2D view but detailing it with all the
dimensions and annotations in a professional manner seems far beyond what
I can do with it. Yes I can add a few linear dimensions here and there
but no real control of how they look, scale, font size and type, which
dims belong to which part (layers? views?) controlling unit precision,
can it do angular and radial dimensions? Leader with annotation, etc., etc.

SketchUp Pro.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2012 10:24 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Sketchup is so damn simple to use you wonder why the others are so damn hard by comparison. Click a single icon and you have the 2D view of choice, then simply print.

I have no problem getting a 2D view but detailing it with all the dimensions and annotations in a professional manner seems far beyond what I can do with it. Yes I can add a few linear dimensions here and there but no real control of how they look, scale, font size and type, which dims belong to which part (layers? views?) controlling unit precision, can it do angular and radial dimensions? Leader with annotation, etc., etc.

To change the dimension, font, size, arrow type and color got to Model
Info, Dimensions.

Adjusting styles will allow you to generally change you line weight.

If you open the window "Entity Info" It will give you the layer of the
dimensions.

Unit precision is controlled from Model Info, Units.

Radial as in diameter and radius? Yes

Angle, Yes. IIRC that might be a free plug-in.

Leader annotation? Yes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Finally got the hang of Sketchup and really like it. Somewhat annoying
user interface but otherwise great design tool

Struggled with your problem for some time and came up with the following
solution. I tried to use a 2D software package and redraw
the project there but quickly ran into the problem of having to
update the 2D drawing because of a change to the Skecthup project.

Start by creating a new directory for this project so all pertinent
project files are grouped together.

1. Draw up the project including all its parts and components. As you
draw, create layers that separate the components so you can work with
them with out the entire projects components getting in the way.

2. Be creative with component names so you can experiment with the same
component' look and construction without losing the original design. I
use a one up number to allow similar components to have
the same name i.e. "Right Hand Top Drawer 1" and so on.

3. When it comes time to actually build the project you have several
options. Create new files for groups of components. doors, drawers,
carcass, frames etc.

4. Then copy groups of components to the new file or files and work
with them there. (Note that when you do this copy and paste all of the
information about the component goes into the new file, name, layers,
component materials etc)

5.Use the Camera Parallel Projection tool for better presentation then
format the components by pulling it apart.
Then drag and drop its parts so you can add dimensions to each part of
the component. You may have to rotate parts to make them lie on the same
plane. For complex parts you
can have different views with separate set of dimensions.

After that just print the components out. I like use legal size paper
as this gets me a larger print out.

The only draw back to my way of doing things is that if the component in
the original drawing changes you need to update components file also.
But you can copy the new component to the appropriate file.

I use a Sketchup plugin called Cut List that helps with the creation of
cut lists. It generates a CVS file for importing into a spreadsheet program.

Just started construction on a shed addition to my garage I designed
using Sketchup and so far it is going well.

Marty K.
Vermont USA

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/11/2012 5:12 PM, Marty wrote:
[...]

Consider doing this, instead of coming up with creative component names,
name the original what you want, copy that component to another
location on the drawing and simply right click the copy and choose "make
unique". The program will automatically give the copied component the
same name and automatically add #1, #2 etc. And then modify the copies
all you want.

I use a Sketchup plugin called Cut List that helps with the creation of
cut lists. It generates a CVS file for importing into a spreadsheet
program.

"If" you use "Cut List Pro" in addition to Cut List you can import the
data created with Cut List and save numerous steps and having to input
any thing into the Cut List Pro program. Accuracy is guaranteed once
properly tweaked.

The best laid plans of Rock Salt and Drains DerbyDad03 Home Repair 20 February 15th 11 01:26 PM
Sketchup plans Larry[_7_] Woodworking 0 January 30th 10 09:43 PM
The Best Laid Plans............... Lew Hodgett Woodworking 0 March 13th 07 06:53 AM
Musing about the best laid plans of turners like you and me. Arch Woodturning 10 February 22nd 07 05:34 PM
AutoCad Question mike Woodworking 29 December 15th 05 04:07 PM