Posted to rec.woodworking
mike

Default AutoCad Question

Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000. I am looking for a
manual for this software but only see books for AutoCad 2000.
Does anyone know is AutoCad LT 2000 a different product from AutoCad
2000? If so are the differences significant?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On 28 Nov 2005 18:09:18 -0800, "mike" wrote:

Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000.

It's not freeware. It comes with a manual?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Carlin

"mike" wrote in news:1133230158.601318.15060
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000. I am looking for a
manual for this software but only see books for AutoCad 2000.
Does anyone know is AutoCad LT 2000 a different product from AutoCad
2000? If so are the differences significant?

I do not know specifically for 2000, but for the 2006 versions, "..main
differences are that LT does not support all the 3D function of
AutoCAD2006, nor does it support the customization tools of AutoLISP and
VBA." (Quoting from a book by George Omura.) There are also minor
adjustments in how certain aspects of the program are used.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Duke of Burl

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l... +2000+book%22

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000. I am looking for a
manual for this software but only see books for AutoCad 2000.
Does anyone know is AutoCad LT 2000 a different product from AutoCad
2000? If so are the differences significant?

The biggest difference is that LT does not do perspective 3D. It does do
isometric, not to be confused with perspective 3D.
Go to your local book store or library as there are many books written on
AutoCAD and LT.
If you already know how to draw you may not need a manual at all. I seldom
referenced the manual.

Posted to rec.woodworking
babygrand

AutoCAD Lite will do all of the 2D stuff you need to do, but it does not
support 3D, nor does it have LISP, which is Autodesk's programming language
for customizing AutoCAD to do macro type routines for automating certain
tasks. Most users can use Lite and never miss the other stuff. The other
main difference is the price. Street price of Lite should be around $500,
while the full blown AutoCAD is closer to $3,500.

babygrand

"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000. I am looking for a
manual for this software but only see books for AutoCad 2000.
Does anyone know is AutoCad LT 2000 a different product from AutoCad
2000? If so are the differences significant?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"babygrand" wrote in message
. ..
AutoCAD Lite will do all of the 2D stuff you need to do, but it does not
support 3D, nor does it have LISP, which is Autodesk's programming
language
for customizing AutoCAD to do macro type routines for automating certain
tasks. Most users can use Lite and never miss the other stuff. The other
main difference is the price. Street price of Lite should be around $500,
while the full blown AutoCAD is closer to $3,500.

Actually LT will import 3D generated by AutoCAD and will do 3D Isometric but
not draw perspective 3D.

And surprisingly, LT street price is up to about $7to 8 hundred dollars. I
remember upgrading back in the early 90's for $97.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:04:33 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

And surprisingly, LT street price is up to about $7to 8 hundred dollars. I
remember upgrading back in the early 90's for $97.

I'm disappointed by that, but not surprised. I imaging a lot of
people/companies have decided LT is good enough, why spend the extra $
for features that may be seldom used at their facility.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Modat22

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:29:41 -0600, "babygrand"
wrote:

AutoCAD Lite will do all of the 2D stuff you need to do, but it does not
support 3D, nor does it have LISP, which is Autodesk's programming language
for customizing AutoCAD to do macro type routines for automating certain
tasks. Most users can use Lite and never miss the other stuff. The other
main difference is the price. Street price of Lite should be around $500,
while the full blown AutoCAD is closer to $3,500.

babygrand

Autodesk changed the price of LT when it started its autodesk
subscription service. I think the Subscription service cost between
950.00 to 1100.00 and you get an upgrade to full blown acad with the
subscription.

LT now costs 800.00 plus.

I use acad 2006 and have never used any of the new bells and whistles
yet, I carry all my lisp routines over that I've ether written or
copied over the past 15 years. Menu's and buttons changes? no problem
I still use all the same quick commands from version to version.
Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

On 28 Nov 2005 18:09:18 -0800, "mike" wrote:

Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000. I am looking for a
manual for this software but only see books for AutoCad 2000.
Does anyone know is AutoCad LT 2000 a different product from AutoCad
2000? If so are the differences significant?

I am making the assumption that someone is giving you a program they
no longer use. When they bought it, it came in a shrink wrapped box
with a manual. Since they gave you their original disks (they did,
right?) go back and get the printed manual they no longer have any use
for.

Autocad LT is a subset of Autocad. Most features related to making 2D
drawings are there, but most or all advanced functionality is not.
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I use the full version of
Autocad, I have no personal experience with it beyond seeing a few
boxes of it around here.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Duke of Burl

Technically, the origianal owner has a license to use the software and
doesn't own it. If they registered it after May 1999, then it is
illegal for them to give you the disks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

On 29 Nov 2005 07:35:10 -0800, "Duke of Burl"
wrote:

Technically, the origianal owner has a license to use the software and
doesn't own it. If they registered it after May 1999, then it is
illegal for them to give you the disks.

I suppose about the time the price of the software went up a lot.
Posted to rec.woodworking
mike

I did not mean to use the word copy. What I was given was the original
CDs. A friend went out of business and no longer had any use for the
product. Being a beginner with CAD and because the price was right. I
thought I would give it a try and see if I can learn it. I do
woodworking as a hobby in my retirement. Nothing is for sale. I thought
it may be interesting to use CAD to draw the boxes and what nots that I
make. It help keeps the brain cells spinning and hopefully avoid that
dreaded AZ. My shop is in the garage and I have thought about putting a
sign over the door saying "The Therapy Room". Now I may have to call
the computer "The Therapy Machine".
Anyhow, Thanks to one and all for your helpful responses and a Merry
Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Duke of Burl

mike wrote:
I did not mean to use the word copy. What I was given was the original
CDs. A friend went out of business and no longer had any use for the
product. Being a beginner with CAD and because the price was right. I
thought I would give it a try and see if I can learn it. I do
woodworking as a hobby in my retirement. Nothing is for sale. I thought
it may be interesting to use CAD to draw the boxes and what nots that I
make. It help keeps the brain cells spinning and hopefully avoid that
dreaded AZ. My shop is in the garage and I have thought about putting a
sign over the door saying "The Therapy Room". Now I may have to call
the computer "The Therapy Machine".
Anyhow, Thanks to one and all for your helpful responses and a Merry
Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all.

I wasn't trying to imply anything. I'm just letting people know that
according to AutoCAD, you don't own the software that you buy. You are
simply buying a license to use it and they're being nice enought to
give you a disk which they own in perpetuity. It's against their terms
of service (and thus the law) to sell or give away the disk.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article .com,
"mike" wrote:

I did not mean to use the word copy. What I was given was the original
CDs.

My sincerest apologies. Whenever I see the word 'copy' and it relates to
software that I paid a whack of money for, I get miffed.

There are some very capable aftermarket books, mike. I see them often
for bargain prices on eBay, Amazon etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Bull.

"Duke of Burl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Technically, the origianal owner has a license to use the software and
doesn't own it. If they registered it after May 1999, then it is
illegal for them to give you the disks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
George Max wrote:

Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000.

A copy? What is the serial number, please?
Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:19:08 -0500, Robatoy
wrote:

In article ,
George Max wrote:

Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000.

A copy? What is the serial number, please?

12

Just kidding.

I'm not the OP. You've got to ask him.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian In Hampton

I use autocad LT 2004 for some stuff.LT is just the basic version of AUTOCAD
I use Solidworks for my 3-D stuff. I use SW 2006 when doing sheetmetal stuff
and flatten it to cut and bend..........Brian

--
www.members.cox.net/bsnikitas
"Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People
"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000. I am looking for a
manual for this software but only see books for AutoCad 2000.
Does anyone know is AutoCad LT 2000 a different product from AutoCad
2000? If so are the differences significant?

Posted to rec.woodworking
bob

AutoCad LT is a stripped own version of the full-blown product. In all
likelyhood, it won't make a bit of difference to you. The LT versions do not
allow you to use lisp files, and if you don't know what a lisp file is, you
probably don't need to
For almost any kind of 2-D drafting, LT2000 is a fantastic tool. I use it on
an almost daily basis at work, and it's great for some wood related things
too...uh, but only during lunch, of course....
The help file is pretty good, which is more than can be said for most
software. As for a printed manual, it should have come with the program,
unless......

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000. I am looking for a
manual for this software but only see books for AutoCad 2000.
Does anyone know is AutoCad LT 2000 a different product from AutoCad
2000? If so are the differences significant?

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

bob wrote:

AutoCad LT is a stripped own version of the full-blown product. In all
likelyhood, it won't make a bit of difference to you. The LT versions do not
allow you to use lisp files, and if you don't know what a lisp file is, you
probably don't need to
For almost any kind of 2-D drafting, LT2000 is a fantastic tool. I use it on
an almost daily basis at work, and it's great for some wood related things
too...uh, but only during lunch, of course....
The help file is pretty good, which is more than can be said for most
software. As for a printed manual, it should have come with the program,
unless......

What important features are missing from Autosketch, compared to LT?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"David" wrote in message
. ..
bob wrote:

What important features are missing from Autosketch, compared to LT?

Autosketch is a good program too. I used it up until version 2.1.
Back then 1997 LT would Easily do Isometric drawings by comparison, and real
time zoom and pan. Those 3 items in particular gave me the incentive to go
to LT. There may be no big differences now.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Don

"mike" wrote
Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000. I am looking for a
manual for this software but only see books for AutoCad 2000.
Does anyone know is AutoCad LT 2000 a different product from AutoCad
2000? If so are the differences significant?

The basic commands are the same.
Full blown AutoCAD has many more options and can do 3D stuff.
Be advised, AutoDesk has extreme *rules* regarding the transfers of their
softwares.

Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E

Yahoo search found this book:
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=AleUb7qSzO...426%3fv=glance

"Don" wrote in message
k.net...
"mike" wrote
Someone has given me a copy of AutoCad LT 2000. I am looking for a
manual for this software but only see books for AutoCad 2000.
Does anyone know is AutoCad LT 2000 a different product from AutoCad
2000? If so are the differences significant?

The basic commands are the same.
Full blown AutoCAD has many more options and can do 3D stuff.
Be advised, AutoDesk has extreme *rules* regarding the transfers of their
softwares.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM