Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cooling the shop.

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

Took a listen outside and the condenser fan wasn't running but the A/C
was. Hmm...

Took a VOM out and found that the two fuses were fine and there was
239.8v across them.
OK so far.

Felt the top of the condenser fan mount and found it very warm. OK,
it's 90 out, it'll be warm in the sun. I showered it with cool water
until it was cold.

Popped the bolts loose and the fan spins freely, no frozen bearings.
It has a 60Hz hum feel to it so I think it's being (somewhat)
energized. VOM confirms that below.

Start relay has 24v from the thermostat and 119v through each
contactor and through the start cap to comp and fan. Looks normal so
far.

Then I heard a click and the compressor sounded like it labored for
just over a second before the second click happened. It was fairly
quiet.

I've never troubleshot a compressor system in a house, but it sounded
like the comp might be frozen. I took auto A/C in school in '72 so
it's very familiar in concept.

I see that there is a high-pressure switch (probably not engaged), low
pressure switch (dunno without gauge set), and thermistor switch (now
cooled with water, so doubtful as the culprit now.) System is ten
years + 4 months old and has never had a problem. I have the
installing company come out almost every year for a checkup but didn't
last year. They found a loose squirrel cage early on and some pieces
of insulation in the fan another time, but nothing else has been
required or done to it.

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

You checked the compressor capacitor, right? You're way more
knowledgable about A/C than I am so that's all I can offer...

Bill

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/6/2012 11:28 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

My AC was here when I moved to this house over 20 years ago. I don't
know how long it was here before that. Never had it checked but once
the fan on the compressor quit working and I had a buddy come over that
is a heating/cooling guy and he took the cover off and immediately
discovered a wasp nest built on the circuit board. He scraped it off
and all was well. That was about 10 years ago.

Just this week though I noticed the compressor was making a loud
scraping noise when it clicked on. Went out and the cement slab the
thing has been sitting on for a million years had sunk and the
compressor was not level. Got a maddox and pried up the slab and stuck
a couple of bricks under it, and it seems good to go, no more noise.

It's a Carrier, and when it goes, I'll get another Carrier I reckon.

Mine only clicks once I think, when it goes on. What is the second click?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 23:37:59 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Y'know, I think that newfangled meter I bought just might have a
capacitance meter built in, or if I just lick my fingers and...

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I don't recall where I saw it, but when you find the place where they
say "there are only two ways a capacitor can fail", you're getting close!

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2012 12:34 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Snip

You checked the compressor capacitor, right? You're way more
knowledgable about A/C than I am so that's all I can offer...

Y'know, I think that newfangled meter I bought just might have a
capacitance meter built in, or if I just lick my fingers and...

You will need help on this one. Take a picture of your hair before, and
get some one else to take a picture of your hair after you lick your
fingers. Have that other person post both pictures and let us analyze
for capacitor out put.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Well, to a certain extent. But anyone who ever saw a '50s-vintage oil
capacitor explode leaving a capacitor shaped cloud of smoke that slowly
poured off the table and onto the floor understands that "fail open"
covers a wide range of behaviors.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:22:13 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote:

In article , says...

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Tantalums next to the ear aren't any fun either, however I always loved the
smell of burning selenium in the morning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Some of the oil from the capacitor is outside the case. Could that be
a clue? I have a replacement lined up tomorrow. A buddy has a spare
cap and motor if necessary.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 06:39:48 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/7/2012 12:34 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Snip

You checked the compressor capacitor, right? You're way more
knowledgable about A/C than I am so that's all I can offer...

Y'know, I think that newfangled meter I bought just might have a
capacitance meter built in, or if I just lick my fingers and...

You will need help on this one. Take a picture of your hair before, and
get some one else to take a picture of your hair after you lick your
fingers. Have that other person post both pictures and let us analyze
for capacitor out put.

ROTFL! 2 points, Leon. Some of your best writing yet, and no typoes!

(OK, who transcribed it for you, hmmm?)

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 8/7/2012 12:34 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Snip

You checked the compressor capacitor, right? You're way more
knowledgable about A/C than I am so that's all I can offer...

Y'know, I think that newfangled meter I bought just might have a
capacitance meter built in, or if I just lick my fingers and...

You will need help on this one. Take a picture of your hair before, and
get some one else to take a picture of your hair after you lick your
fingers. Have that other person post both pictures and let us analyze
for capacitor out put.

ROTFL! 2 points, Leon. Some of your best writing yet, and no typoes!

(OK, who transcribed it for you, hmmm?)

I reread it 6 times.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Larry Jaques typed:
[...]

uHH, 240 v ACROSS the fuse indicates it's BLOWN! There should be 0 or near 0
Vac ACROSS the fuses!

Time to check out E 101 again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2012 4:37 PM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
Larry typed:
[...]

Now he has real troubles, because all the replacements fuses are shorted
out!
:^)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 8/7/2012 12:34 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Snip

You checked the compressor capacitor, right? You're way more
knowledgable about A/C than I am so that's all I can offer...

Y'know, I think that newfangled meter I bought just might have a
capacitance meter built in, or if I just lick my fingers and...

You will need help on this one. Take a picture of your hair before, and
get some one else to take a picture of your hair after you lick your
fingers. Have that other person post both pictures and let us analyze
for capacitor out put.

ROTFL! 2 points, Leon. Some of your best writing yet, and no typoes!

(OK, who transcribed it for you, hmmm?)

I reread it 6 times.

That makes for 6 more introductions of at least one typo.
I don't buy -that- for a nanosecond.

The cap tests open capacitaterly and resistively. Whew! It'll be a
quick fix after all! (Thank you, Crom!)

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 20:28:08 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it down.

Boy, am _I_ one happy SOB...now I can finish setting the limits on the
CNC router and start cutting some demo pieces.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it down.

Congrats on your inexpensive repair!
Just curious (and maybe I need to use some), why plumber's tape?

Boy, am _I_ one happy SOB...now I can finish setting the limits on the
CNC router and start cutting some demo pieces.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it down.

Congrats on your inexpensive repair!
Just curious (and maybe I need to use some), why plumber's tape?

4 reasons: It's metal, it's galvanized, it's cheap, and it has
pre-drilled holes in it for ease in use.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tapes.html scroll to "galvanized"

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it down.

Congrats on your inexpensive repair!
Just curious (and maybe I need to use some), why plumber's tape?

4 reasons: It's metal,

If it can carry current, even a little, that seems like possibly
inviting trouble, no?

it's galvanized, it's cheap, and it has
pre-drilled holes in it for ease in use.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tapes.html scroll to "galvanized"

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it down.

Congrats on your inexpensive repair!
Just curious (and maybe I need to use some), why plumber's tape?

4 reasons: It's metal,

If it can carry current, even a little, that seems like possibly
inviting trouble, no?

It's a metal-cased capacitor grounded to a metal HVAC housing.
What's to worry about? The original was metal, too.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GEN...MZ3?Pid=search

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it
down.

Congrats on your inexpensive repair!
Just curious (and maybe I need to use some), why plumber's tape?

4 reasons: It's metal, it's galvanized, it's cheap, and it has
pre-drilled holes in it for ease in use.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tapes.html scroll to "galvanized"

Other than you and that site, have never heard of strapping called "tape".

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt
warm air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it
down.

Congrats on your inexpensive repair!
Just curious (and maybe I need to use some), why plumber's tape?

4 reasons: It's metal,

If it can carry current, even a little, that seems like possibly
inviting trouble, no?

No. Think about it Bill. What would be the difference if it were screwed
in?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt
warm air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it
down.

Congrats on your inexpensive repair!
Just curious (and maybe I need to use some), why plumber's tape?

4 reasons: It's metal,

If it can carry current, even a little, that seems like possibly
inviting trouble, no?

No. Think about it Bill. What would be the difference if it were screwed
in?

There are wires passing all over and around that thing. Why toss in a
piece of conductive material???

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it down.

Congrats on your inexpensive repair!
Just curious (and maybe I need to use some), why plumber's tape?

4 reasons: It's metal,

If it can carry current, even a little, that seems like possibly
inviting trouble, no?

I am not sure I have ever seen a capacitor ever attached by anything but
a metal retainer, many require a metal ground, take for instance the old
automotive style with only 1 wire connection.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it
down.

Congrats on your inexpensive repair!
Just curious (and maybe I need to use some), why plumber's tape?

4 reasons: It's metal, it's galvanized, it's cheap, and it has
pre-drilled holes in it for ease in use.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tapes.html scroll to "galvanized"

Other than you and that site, have never heard of strapping called "tape".

Yeah! LOL, Go to a plumbing supply and ask for plumbers tape and you
get Teflon tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:

No. Think about it Bill. What would be the difference if it were
screwed in?

There are wires passing all over and around that thing. Why toss in a
piece of conductive material???

Let's hope there's not wires just passing all over and around the thing - it
sure should be less messy than that. But... you miss the point. The cap
is already conductive - the strapping adds nothing to that. Screwing it in
would do nothing to reduce conductivity. Perhaps you are referring to the
strapping wrapping around the motor - if that's what Larry did... well, if
it's done nice and tight, that too adds no more conductivity than the motor
housing itself.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it
down.

Congrats on your inexpensive repair!
Just curious (and maybe I need to use some), why plumber's tape?

4 reasons: It's metal, it's galvanized, it's cheap, and it has
pre-drilled holes in it for ease in use.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tapes.html scroll to "galvanized"

Other than you and that site, have never heard of strapping called "tape".

You poor, poor life-shielded kids.

Yeah! LOL, Go to a plumbing supply and ask for plumbers tape and you
get Teflon tape.

Not in any state I've ever lived in. If Texicus is that far behind
the curve, it's your duty to change that. I've never heard teflon
tape called anything but 'teflon tape', or maybe 'thread seal tape.'

The metal strapping had been nicknamed "plumber's tape" before I was a
boy. Ask any old plumber when he first heard the term. You'll see.

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 23:37:59 -0400, Bill wrote:

You checked the compressor capacitor, right? You're way more
knowledgable about A/C than I am so that's all I can offer...

Y'know, I think that newfangled meter I bought just might have a
capacitance meter built in, or if I just lick my fingers and...

Larry, Based on your experience, and my experience of paying $280 for my
first A/C capacitor (installed) a couple years ago, I picked up one of
those newfangled-meters for myself today (Sperry DV6450), slightly on
sale at Menards. I hope I can even learn something from it.

I don't think my hair long enough for your regular test!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 17:19:27 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 23:37:59 -0400, Bill wrote:

You checked the compressor capacitor, right? You're way more
knowledgable about A/C than I am so that's all I can offer...

Y'know, I think that newfangled meter I bought just might have a
capacitance meter built in, or if I just lick my fingers and...

Larry, Based on your experience, and my experience of paying $280 for my
first A/C capacitor (installed) a couple years ago, I picked up one of
those newfangled-meters for myself today (Sperry DV6450), slightly on
sale at Menards. I hope I can even learn something from it.

I don't think my hair long enough for your regular test!

It doesn't matter how long your hair is. Humans aren't built for cap
testing via fingers. I accidentally caught the lead of an 800v cap in
a monitor when I was training at Coleman College. I had a knot of scar
tissue in my finger there for years, even though the incident was over
in a split second.

http://tinyurl.com/9k8zkl9 Best bang for the bucks.

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/6/2012 10:28 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

I just spent all day earlier this week working lime deposits out of the
return feed tubes on top of the large chiller on the education building
at the church, then unplugging all the holes on the radiators...it's
roughly 5-ft high x 8-ft long w/ radiator surface on both faces...

Got call from the preacher that water was pouring down the roof drains
the previous evening--had plugged so badly was just dumping water.
Removed several buckets-full of "egg shell".

That's after the purge valve on the PU had failed and the fuel pump had
collapsed the gas tank so spent the day before that replacing it...

Now I'm in the search for an obsolete snap ring according to Mr Deere
for one of the tractors that for the want of which their suggestion is a
$500 assembly to replace a 3" idler pulley bearing...

Meanwhile, the mod's to the DC for remote access to get the planer to
quit throwing chips all over everywhere which was a wanted perk before
starting the box I promised DIL for her father's ashes for a memorial
sometime this summer are on hold while everything else breaks...

"It's always _something_ ... "

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Now I'm in the search for an obsolete snap ring according to Mr Deere
for one of the tractors that for the want of which their suggestion
is a $500 assembly to replace a 3" idler pulley bearing...

What is obsolete about the snap ring? I keep a 1945 Allis Chalmers running
with everyday parts (sometimes...), and within the family, we keep many very
old tractors going. I do realize that there are some "unique" parts in
these old timers, but I can't imagine an obsolete snap ring - or at least
one that can't be replaced by what is available today. Got any additional
information?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/10/2012 10:12 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
dpb wrote:

Now I'm in the search for an obsolete snap ring according to Mr Deere
for one of the tractors that for the want of which their suggestion
is a $500 assembly to replace a 3" idler pulley bearing...

What is obsolete about the snap ring? I keep a 1945 Allis Chalmers running
with everyday parts (sometimes...), and within the family, we keep many very
old tractors going. I do realize that there are some "unique" parts in
these old timers, but I can't imagine an obsolete snap ring - or at least
one that can't be replaced by what is available today. Got any additional
information?

It's obsolete in JD parts (I'm guessing because Smalley Steel Ring
bought out the original OEM Spiralox and Deere didn't bother to
update/confirm the new vendor when the stock from the previous ran out.

The problem is that they're the old style and a light-duty one that's to
fit a 0.030" wide groove. All the standard stuff these days is 0.050".

The machine shop I deal w/ guy called his distributor and they don't
have the right size in stock and it's a hefty minimum order to the
manufacturer and not sure about delivery after that. I have found
another distributor and they actually have an office within 100 mi so a
sweet-sounding thing is supposed to be working on seeing if she can get
hands on a couple for me. Smalley has a link for requesting samples; I
submitted a request but no indication yet whether they'll follow through
or not.

If all else fails, I'll take the pulley to the machine shop and have
them recut the grooves to fit the 0.050" rings that one can get
easily...if do have to go to factory minimum that'll be roughly
equivalent cost and will end up w/ a more easily replaced one in the
future if ever need it again...

It's just the pita of it all...Mr Deere could just as easily found that
Spiralox is now Smalley as I. Generally this doesn't happen much w/
green but it did on this particular part.

http://www.smalley.com/part_lookup/part_lookup.asp

Put "VH 137" in the search box for the specific puppy needed...it's for
a 1.375" bore internal. And, of course, if you just happen to have one
in the parts drawer...

Speaking of AC -- grandfather bought a little WD-45 way back when he was
beginning to slow down some and thought he couldn't handle the Farmalls
any longer but wanted to not give up entirely. We ended up w/ a whole
line of the "Snap Coupler" equipment for it -- 4-row lister, knife sled,
springtooth chisel, ... having had so much equipment, Dad traded it for
a D-17 later on while I was still in HS and I did a _lot_ of row crop on
that little thing. Eventually we went to the larger equipment and
retired it from field work and put a frontend loader on it--it was a
nice little loader tractor albeit a little low to the ground. I've kept
my eyes out just for nostalgia but haven't sprung for one yet....

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

If all else fails, I'll take the pulley to the machine shop and have
them recut the grooves to fit the 0.050" rings that one can get
easily...if do have to go to factory minimum that'll be roughly
equivalent cost and will end up w/ a more easily replaced one in the
future if ever need it again...

That's what I would do. It does somewhat "destroy" the original value but
most people don't look that closely at things like that. Sure is better to
be able to run down the street for a part in the future...

Speaking of AC -- grandfather bought a little WD-45 way back when he
was beginning to slow down some and thought he couldn't handle the
Farmalls any longer but wanted to not give up entirely. We ended up
w/ a whole line of the "Snap Coupler" equipment for it -- 4-row
lister, knife sled, springtooth chisel, ... having had so much
equipment, Dad traded it for a D-17 later on while I was still in HS
and I did a _lot_ of row crop on that little thing. Eventually we
went to the larger equipment and retired it from field work and put a
frontend loader on it--it was a nice little loader tractor albeit a
little low to the ground. I've kept my eyes out just for nostalgia
but haven't sprung for one yet....

Mine is a WC. It lacks live PTO and hydraulics of course, but these days
its life is pretty much relegated to hauling firewood out of the woods in an
old converted manure spreader. I started to build a 3 point hitch for
it/hydralics, but never did finish that project. Imagine that! It's been a
good old girl through all of these years, and I really cannot complain about
it - for what it is.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/10/2012 10:48 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
dpb wrote:

If all else fails, I'll take the pulley to the machine shop and have
them recut the grooves to fit the 0.050" rings that one can get
easily...if do have to go to factory minimum that'll be roughly
equivalent cost and will end up w/ a more easily replaced one in the
future if ever need it again...

That's what I would do. It does somewhat "destroy" the original value but
most people don't look that closely at things like that. Sure is better to
be able to run down the street for a part in the future...

There's no way anybody would ever be able to tell w/o completely
disassembling it and I certainly don't keep stuff for collector-purposes
as vintage collector. It's used, not admired...

Speaking of AC -- grandfather bought a little WD-45 way back ...
... Dad traded it for a D-17 later on while I was still in HS

Mine is a WC. It lacks live PTO and hydraulics of course, but these days
its life is pretty much relegated to hauling firewood out of the woods in an
old converted manure spreader. I started to build a 3 point hitch for
it/hydralics, but never did finish that project. Imagine that! It's been a
good old girl through all of these years, and I really cannot complain about
it - for what it is.

AFAIK they never did go to live PTO at least until the 100-series in the
mid-70s, anyway. One of the really, really, really bad things of them.
But, they were the less expensive option on design and those were the
ways they got them to be such. They did do a lot of work; they were
pretty popular here in the 50s and 60s until Deere introduced the
4-cylinders w/ the 010 series and began to build the dominance they now
have. Probably less than 20% now is other than Green around here.

The D-17 developed terrible oil leaks towards the end of its career
here--Dad sold it and all the equipment in the auction when he retired.
I've wished any number of times I had a couple of the smaller pieces
for the garden since we came back to the farm after he died. Of course,
for real work out here now that what we farmed with when growing up is
just toy stuff...where it was a 4-row lister at 3-4 mph then, now it's
16-row minimum and some are up to as much as 48(!) and GPS at 7-8 mph.
I plant in a morning what took most of week then.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

AFAIK they never did go to live PTO at least until the 100-series in
the mid-70s, anyway. One of the really, really, really bad things of
them. But, they were the less expensive option on design and those
were the ways they got them to be such. They did do a lot of work;
they were pretty popular here in the 50s and 60s until Deere
introduced the 4-cylinders w/ the 010 series and began to build the
dominance they now have. Probably less than 20% now is other than
Green around here.

Funny how that goes. I grew up outside of Albany, NY and everything was
red. The few green tractors you saw were split between Oliver and Deere.
Then... I eventually settled in Syracuse, and green is the color. Shows to
go ya, I guess... Very few orange tractors around here. Though, those who
do collect them or restore them, speak highly of them in certain respects.
They just never really took off and took over in the face of Deere around
here.

The D-17 developed terrible oil leaks towards the end of its career
here--Dad sold it and all the equipment in the auction when he
retired. I've wished any number of times I had a couple of the
smaller pieces for the garden since we came back to the farm after he
died. Of course, for real work out here now that what we farmed with
when growing up is just toy stuff...where it was a 4-row lister at
3-4 mph then, now it's 16-row minimum and some are up to as much as
48(!) and GPS at 7-8 mph. I plant in a morning what took most of week
then.

Ain't that just the truth! It's always a joking matter when we sit around
and talk about what a typical day looked like when I was on the farm,
compared to what they get done in a day today. ****... they don't even know
what a hay rake is today...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/10/2012 12:33 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Funny how that goes. I grew up outside of Albany, NY and everything was
red. The few green tractors you saw were split between Oliver and Deere.
Then... I eventually settled in Syracuse, and green is the color. Shows to
go ya, I guess... Very few orange tractors around here. Though, those who
do collect them or restore them, speak highly of them in certain respects.
They just never really took off and took over in the face of Deere around
here.

Allis was bought by Deutz sometime in the 80s after struggling mightily
in the new era and then eventually again to Agco who sold Agco-Allis for
awhile but by 2000 roughly the Allis name had disappeared entirely.

Stuff was very mixed here in all shades in the early post-WWII years w/
green and Farmall red the most dominant. But Case, M-Moline were well
represented as well as Allis. Oliver green was pretty rare. A large
fraction of what became popular in an area was dependent on the quality
of the dealerships as much as the brand of the equipment itself. There
were a few like my grandfather and father who refused to have a
"Johnny-Pop" simply because they did not want to listen to it.
Grandpa's first tractor was a Twin City (forerunner of M-Moline) and
then a Case. There was a period in the 20s and 30s where all the row
crop work was done w/ little Cat 22's -- they look like a relatively
modern Cat that was left out in the rain and shrank. The were 22
drawbar hp. Used them to pull a JD 3-row lister and cultivator. At one
time I think they had at least four or five. The last one Dad sold
while I was in school to a machine shop owner in town. The boy has
restored it but it's now living in WY. I do want one of them for
collecting. There are still quite a number in CA where they were used
in the orchards a lot because of their low profile. They are pretty
pricey if at all decent.

IH/Farmall lost the war to Deere w/ the problems they had w/ their new
line of larger tractors that had drastic rear end/tranny problems. We
pulled the guts out of several 560s and 660s and after another failure
w/ a "new, improved, can't out pull it" Dad had had enough and traded
all the Red for Green at one time. We also got a Case 930 wheatland
model at the same time for the flatground work. But, as Deere kept
moving up and the others had trouble, green just took over. There never
was a local Agco dealership after the mergers and everybody else faded
away. The only orange is a few Kubotas that have sorta' taken the
"low-priced spread" market. They are quite capable, just don't have the
size to compete for other than utility work but make great frontend
loader tractors, etc., ...

...where it was a 4-row lister at
3-4 mph then, now it's 16-row minimum and some are up to as much as
48(!) and GPS at 7-8 mph. I plant in a morning what took most of week
then.

Ain't that just the truth! It's always a joking matter when we sit around
and talk about what a typical day looked like when I was on the farm,
compared to what they get done in a day today. ****... they don't even know
what a hay rake is today...

Well, certainly do here -- although it's pulling in two (or maybe even
three) 16-ft windrows for the baler to cut down passes instead of flat
raking...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Well, certainly do here -- although it's pulling in two (or maybe even
three) 16-ft windrows for the baler to cut down passes instead of flat
raking...

Back in the day, I used to double windrow in a really thin field, but most
of our fields were too dense for that. Can't imagine a triple, unless it's
for a second cutting.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

OK, I have coolth in the shop once again this afternoon.
Total troubleshooting/repair time: 2 hours.
Total monetary investment: $17.49
Parts replaced: One dual cap and some plumber's tape to strap it down.

Boy, am _I_ one happy SOB...now I can finish setting the limits on the
CNC router and start cutting some demo pieces.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood

Keeping my fingers crossed. Beware of pinch points, don't get hurt, wear
clean underwear, have a clean hanky. Now comb your hair......

I'm all excited too. It's a fine moment to see your first piece. A
thousand times more so when you made the machine yourself.

Piccies soon I hope.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:35:45 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

dpb wrote:

Well, certainly do here -- although it's pulling in two (or maybe even
three) 16-ft windrows for the baler to cut down passes instead of flat
raking...

Back in the day, I used to double windrow in a really thin field, but most
of our fields were too dense for that. Can't imagine a triple, unless it's
for a second cutting.

Some AWFULL crops in the midwest this year. I thought we had it dry
up here in Central Ontario - compared to indiana, illinois, michigan,
and Wisconsin we've got amost a swamp. Up here we are still getting a
crop - much of what I saw on our recent road trip is hardly worth
cutting.