Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Desert Shop cooling questions

I live in DRY XXTREME SW Utah.

I have two 20' x 8' containers. Inbetween them is 16' of space. I am
enclosing the ends of the space with covered gates, and putting a roof on
the whole 1320 sf.

I want to put evaporative coolers in there. I see them that are stationary,
and pull outside air and blow it inside. I also see roll around evaporative
coolers.

Which one works better? It seems that pulling 105 degree air from the
outside and cooling it would only give so much of a temperature drop.
Pulling inside air, say 85 degree and cooling it might work better. BUT,
the inside air would be humidified somewhat, and I don't know if the
evaporative effect would be as great.

Plus, the roll arounds seem to have to be filled manually, although I could
use a hose, but that would be just another trip hazard on the floor.
Stationary ones would have a hard plumbed copper pipe, and would stay full
automatically.

I would actually like to have the roll arounds for inside the containers so
that I could move them to the container/s in use. And for the space
between, a stationary one would be good.

Just wondering how the roll arounds work vs. stationary ones.

Insights?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I live in DRY XXTREME SW Utah.

I have two 20' x 8' containers. Inbetween them is 16' of space. I am
enclosing the ends of the space with covered gates, and putting a roof on
the whole 1320 sf.

I want to put evaporative coolers in there. I see them that are stationary,
and pull outside air and blow it inside. I also see roll around evaporative
coolers.

Which one works better? It seems that pulling 105 degree air from the
outside and cooling it would only give so much of a temperature drop.
Pulling inside air, say 85 degree and cooling it might work better. BUT,
the inside air would be humidified somewhat, and I don't know if the
evaporative effect would be as great.

In far SW KS; similar temp's and RH in the low double or single digits
often as well. 106F yesterday...

Cooling drop is dependent on the volume of water you can evaporate;
bigger pad area/higher air flow--more water evaporated. That'll be the
primary difference you'll see between portables and a stationary unit.
Those are purely volume; the actual enthalpy of evaporation is dependent
on the conditions as noted but isn't _that_ variable w/ the kinds of
differences you'll see. Unless the containers are closed so you're not
moving any air (and I'd think that would make them uninhabitable
entirely), I doubt the actual RH increase will be sufficient to even be
able to tell it.

I'd recommend to first put light-color on roofs(maybe even an awning
roof to shade them???) and then some insulation; those will do more good
so that the swamp coolers at least have a chance. In dry climates thay
can be pretty effective. Depending on the shop usage, another
alternative could be the misters used in ag barns, etc., ... they can
be pretty inexpensive and plumbed into the ceiling out of way and
basically ignored after. Not good idea in a precision metal shop,
though, but could help a general work area if don't overdo them. We've
got 'em in farrowing house and barn; they don't actually put out enough
to feel damp in the higher ceiling areas but are in the hog house (on
purpose).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

... The hard water seems to eat the
pumps. Not cheap and if I fix this one it will be the third pump in
about six years. I'm sure they would have lasted longer had they had a
filter.

Filtering won't do anything about dissolved salts ("hard" water)...

Water here is extremely hard and swamp coolers are quite prevalent but
I've never heard of anybody having difficulty w/ the pumps in them owing
to that. I'm thinking there's some other cause than that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Swamp coolers will only work if the water will evaporate. Used inside a closed
space, they will quickly stop working. I'd think the outside air units would
work better in the long run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2011 9:41 PM, Bob F wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

If it is sunny, those conex containers will become heat masses and
radiators. Shoulda put a higher roof over the whole thing, so air could
pass through and suck the hot air out. If you have not painted the
containers and roof white, you should consider it. Do a Google image
search for 'CHU', to get some ideas for what has worked over in the
sandbox. Lots of things that look like giant carports, and things to
provide shade from prevailing sun direction.

--
aem sends...