J T

Default DIY HEATING, OR COOLING, YOUR SHOP

http://www.visi.com/~darus/hilsch/index.html I would imagine it would
work, but not sure of the efficiency. If you had water, or wind, power
running a compressor, you could have it for "free". Interesting.

JOAT
When you're up to your ass in alligators, today is the first day of the
rest of your life.
- Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully, UU

Andy

A window air conditioner is both cheaper to run and quieter. My adventures
with Vortex tubes many years ago required hearing protection and that stupid
compressor running almost continuously.

I bought a 10k BTU window unit at an outlet store (condenser fins were
crushed, 20 minutes with a borrowed fin comb took care of that) and
installed it in my fully insulated 3 car garage. It does a great job of
keeping the area workable during Boise summers and barley makes a blip on
the electric bill.

JMHO

Andy

"J T" wrote in message
http://www.visi.com/~darus/hilsch/index.html I would imagine it would
work, but not sure of the efficiency. If you had water, or wind, power
running a compressor, you could have it for "free". Interesting.

JOAT
When you're up to your ass in alligators, today is the first day of the
rest of your life.
- Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully, UU

Wood Butcher

The article states that these tubes are not available commercially
but this is not correct.
DAGS for "cold air gun" if anyone's interested.

Art

"J T" wrote in message
http://www.visi.com/~darus/hilsch/index.html I would imagine it would
work, but not sure of the efficiency. If you had water, or wind, power
running a compressor, you could have it for "free". Interesting.

JOAT
When you're up to your ass in alligators, today is the first day of the
rest of your life.
- Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully, UU

RonB

I noted in an earlier post that you might come up with a cheap heating
system using a recycled furnace. These aren't junk units, just systems that
were removed during a remodel or update. Several years ago I purchased an
older but perfectly good forced air furnace from a fellow that did a house
add-on. It cost $25. I already had gas plumbed in so all I had to do was
add the exhaust flue, thermostat and a simple welded rack to mount it on
(angle iron and pipe). The rack got the downdraft machine off of the floor
and I just let it blow out the bottom into the small shop I had.

A cousin did the same thing using a 3-4 year old, $100 updraft furnace. He
also built a rack to get it off of the floor and away from fumes (stored a
fueled car in the shop). He also installed a very simple duct to blow the
air in two directions.

These aren't necessarily the most efficient systems but when you compare
payback on investment, it takes a long time to catch up with a more
expensive system. If interested, check for local construction material
recycle yards. These folks have a lot of surprising quality among the junk.

Ron

"J T" wrote in message
http://www.visi.com/~darus/hilsch/index.html I would imagine it would
work, but not sure of the efficiency. If you had water, or wind, power
running a compressor, you could have it for "free". Interesting.

JOAT
When you're up to your ass in alligators, today is the first day of the
rest of your life.
- Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully, UU

Charlie Self

RonB writes:

[...]

For my shop, I talked to a local HVAC owner and got a free electric furnace.
I've only hooke dup two bars...the third requires me to install a 90 amp
breaker instead of a 60 amp. This coming winter will be its first in real use.
Simple install. Cart it into the attic area. Cut a hole in the ceiling. Place a
20 buck sheet metal vent over furnace and into ceiling. Cover with mesh.
Install wiring and thermostat. No flues, nada.

If it goes south, I'll go try to talk another HVAC guy out of another unit.
Worse comes to worst, I'll pay him for it, but basically, you're saving the
contractor money by taking such items. Usually, they have to be dumped, which
costs. But next time, I'll keep the A coils and have central air, instead of
window units.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from
man."
H. L. Mencken