RonB

Default DIY HEATING, OR COOLING, YOUR SHOP

I noted in an earlier post that you might come up with a cheap heating
system using a recycled furnace. These aren't junk units, just systems that
were removed during a remodel or update. Several years ago I purchased an
older but perfectly good forced air furnace from a fellow that did a house
add-on. It cost $25. I already had gas plumbed in so all I had to do was
add the exhaust flue, thermostat and a simple welded rack to mount it on
(angle iron and pipe). The rack got the downdraft machine off of the floor
and I just let it blow out the bottom into the small shop I had.

A cousin did the same thing using a 3-4 year old, $100 updraft furnace. He
also built a rack to get it off of the floor and away from fumes (stored a
fueled car in the shop). He also installed a very simple duct to blow the
air in two directions.

These aren't necessarily the most efficient systems but when you compare
payback on investment, it takes a long time to catch up with a more
expensive system. If interested, check for local construction material
recycle yards. These folks have a lot of surprising quality among the junk.

Ron

"J T" wrote in message
http://www.visi.com/~darus/hilsch/index.html I would imagine it would
work, but not sure of the efficiency. If you had water, or wind, power
running a compressor, you could have it for "free". Interesting.

JOAT
When you're up to your ass in alligators, today is the first day of the
rest of your life.
- Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully, UU