Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cooling the shop.

I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Home and shop A/C was working fine until about 6pm when I felt warm
air coming out of the vent.
Aw****.

Took a listen outside and the condenser fan wasn't running but the A/C
was. Hmm...

Took a VOM out and found that the two fuses were fine and there was
239.8v across them.
OK so far.

Felt the top of the condenser fan mount and found it very warm. OK,
it's 90 out, it'll be warm in the sun. I showered it with cool water
until it was cold.

Popped the bolts loose and the fan spins freely, no frozen bearings.
It has a 60Hz hum feel to it so I think it's being (somewhat)
energized. VOM confirms that below.

Start relay has 24v from the thermostat and 119v through each
contactor and through the start cap to comp and fan. Looks normal so
far.

Then I heard a click and the compressor sounded like it labored for
just over a second before the second click happened. It was fairly
quiet.

I've never troubleshot a compressor system in a house, but it sounded
like the comp might be frozen. I took auto A/C in school in '72 so
it's very familiar in concept.

I see that there is a high-pressure switch (probably not engaged), low
pressure switch (dunno without gauge set), and thermistor switch (now
cooled with water, so doubtful as the culprit now.) System is ten
years + 4 months old and has never had a problem. I have the
installing company come out almost every year for a checkup but didn't
last year. They found a loose squirrel cage early on and some pieces
of insulation in the fan another time, but nothing else has been
required or done to it.

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-07, Larry Jaques wrote:
I just got back from Californy today, where I had a nice birthday
(59th) with family.

Happy birthday!

[...]

Maybe the capacitor went bad.

I've never troubleshot a compressor system in a house, but it sounded
like the comp might be frozen. I took auto A/C in school in '72 so
it's very familiar in concept.

I see that there is a high-pressure switch (probably not engaged), low
pressure switch (dunno without gauge set), and thermistor switch (now
cooled with water, so doubtful as the culprit now.) System is ten
years + 4 months old and has never had a problem. I have the
installing company come out almost every year for a checkup but didn't
last year. They found a loose squirrel cage early on and some pieces
of insulation in the fan another time, but nothing else has been
required or done to it.

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

I'd tell you what's wrong but you killfiled me, so tough luck!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 22:45:54 -0500, Ignoramus25096
wrote:

On 2012-08-07, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Should I lick my fingers and...

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Ignoramus25096 wrote:

Maybe the capacitor went bad.

Should I lick my fingers and...

If you're stupid enough. I'm sure no one would miss you if you're
that stupid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

I'd tell you what's wrong but you killfiled me, so tough luck!

So, you think behaving like an asshole to someone who won't see it is
effective?
;-(
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maybe the capacitor went bad.

Start cap. Sounds a lot like it.

yep. Mine did this earlier this year. Cap is normally bulged if it
broke. Very low cost thing to try at any rate.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

I'd tell you what's wrong but you killfiled me, so tough luck!

So, you think behaving like an asshole to someone who won't see it is
effective?

He's told me more than once he wants nothing from me, so stuff it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

I'd tell you what's wrong but you killfiled me, so tough luck!

ROFLMAO!!!

What goes around, comes around and can bite you in the ass.

So much for him telling me that I had nothing useful to say on the
group.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Start/run caps are under 20 bucks well , they are here . Replaced mine
earlier this year , then had to replace it again because the compressor side
went bad - while under warrantee .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Try the inexpensive options, first. Replace the run capacitor.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Try the inexpensive options, first. Replace the run capacitor.

He has you killfiled, too, doesn't he?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't know for sure, but most likely so.

It's like winking at a pretty girl, in the dark. Doesn't make much effect on
anyone.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Try the inexpensive options, first. Replace the run capacitor.

He has you killfiled, too, doesn't he?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Since I'm killfiled, I can sing, and no one will know.

I'm singing in the rain! I'm just singing in the rain.....

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Since I'm killfiled, I can sing, and no one will know.

God will know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-07, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

I'd tell you what's wrong but you killfiled me, so tough luck!

ROFLMAO!!!

What goes around, comes around and can bite you in the ass.

So much for him telling me that I had nothing useful to say on the
group.

But did you actually have something useful to say about his air
conditioner?

So far, in this thread, you did not say anything useful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-07, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Since I'm killfiled, I can sing, and no one will know.

God will know.

God killfiled him too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 10:44:37 -0500, Ignoramus25984

On 2012-08-07, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

I'd tell you what's wrong but you killfiled me, so tough luck!

ROFLMAO!!!

What goes around, comes around and can bite you in the ass.

So much for him telling me that I had nothing useful to say on the
group.

But did you actually have something useful to say about his air
conditioner?

So far, in this thread, you did not say anything useful.

Even if he did have something usefule to say, once in ten years
doesn't make a very good track record. IAC, life's good when twit
filters are ENGAGED.

Eff him and the horse that rode in on him. evil grinne

A friend has a start cap for me when I visit Medford tomorrow, so I'll
give that a try first. He also has a spare condenser fan if needed.
I'm soitenly crossing my fingers that the cap works. It has been in
the 90s here lately. Luckily, it cooled off enough to get right to
sleep last night. It never cooled off much in LoCal when it was
really hot during the day, so I much prefer the cool nights here.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I see that there is a high-pressure switch (probably not engaged), low
pressure switch (dunno without gauge set), and thermistor switch (now
cooled with water, so doubtful as the culprit now.) System is ten
years + 4 months old and has never had a problem. I have the
installing company come out almost every year for a checkup but didn't
last year. They found a loose squirrel cage early on and some pieces
of insulation in the fan another time, but nothing else has been
required or done to it.

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

Was the condenser fan spinning when it tried to start?
If not, then the condenser pressure built up until it tripped the
high pressure cutout or overheated the thermal switch in the compressor.
The unit will need to cool off before restarting. Cooling the compressor
may take several hours.

It could be a bad start or run capacitor. Usually these make themselves
VERY obvious because the explode smelly stuff all over the inside of the
condenser cabinet.

After cooling off, turn off the disconnect by the condenser, and then
set the thermostat inside to make it run. Watch and listen when you
turn on the disconnect. Does the condenser fan spin? Does the compressor
make a locked rotor loud hum, or sound like it is spinning? or, does it
just fire up and run OK now? If the compressor sounds like it is
laboring badly or locked, shut it off immediately. If you can't find
a blown capacitor (may be inside an inner compartment) or bad relay,
then you may have to call for service.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-07, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

As long as the compressor runs, you can put a box fan on top of the unit and get by...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-07, Michael A. Terrell
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

But not well . That box fan just ain't going to move enough air to keep the
compressor happy . Now one of those bigger fans they make on the pedestal
might do it .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

I'd tell you what's wrong but you killfiled me, so tough luck!

So, you think behaving like an asshole to someone who won't see it is
effective?

He's told me more than once he wants nothing from me, so stuff it.

So, what's your point? If he can't read it, you're just annoying the
rest of us
for no reason. Smart!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-07, Michael A. Terrell
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

If it can't keep up, then either the system electrics will lock-out due to HP safety circuitry ( if so equipped ) or else the compressor will cycle on and off due to it's internal thermal trip mechanism, which is basically what it (sounds to me like ) it is already doing at this point anyways...

And so with a box fan, the compressor is probably going to run for quite a while (perhaps even indefinately) between trips, actual duration being dependent upon outside ambient air temp.

I'm not saying it's the best way to permanently deal with the situation but bey if it gets someone by for a few days till the problem can be properly addressed then go for it is what I say.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:

mike wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

I'd tell you what's wrong but you killfiled me, so tough luck!

So, you think behaving like an asshole to someone who won't see it is
effective?

He's told me more than once he wants nothing from me, so stuff it.

So, what's your point? If he can't read it, you're just annoying the
rest of us
for no reason. Smart!!!

What are you doing here with a troll email address? STUPID!!!

I have helped people troubleshoot the same problem, on this group.
He's too stupid to check the archives, he just starts a new thread.

I don't recall ever seeing anything useful that you've posted.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-07, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Since I'm killfiled, I can sing, and no one will know.

God will know.

God killfiled him too.

Now you speak for God?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-07, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

I'd tell you what's wrong but you killfiled me, so tough luck!

ROFLMAO!!!

What goes around, comes around and can bite you in the ass.

So much for him telling me that I had nothing useful to say on the
group.

But did you actually have something useful to say about his air
conditioner?

I've walked other people through starting cap problems on this group.

So far, in this thread, you did not say anything useful.

Neither have you, that is't repeating what others have said.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

Repeated tripouts on the thermal OL are BAD for compressors ! Not to
mention what might be happening in your breaker/fuse box . My youngest had a
bad cap in his condenser , repeated reset/trip cycles fried the
terminals/sockets/etc in his fuse box .He was faced with a choice of power
to the stove or power to the AC . Bad juju !!
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

Repeated tripouts on the thermal OL are BAD for compressors ! Not
to mention what might be happening in your breaker/fuse box . My
youngest had a bad cap in his condenser, repeated reset/trip cycles
fried the terminals/sockets/etc in his fuse box .He was faced with
a choice of power to the stove or power to the AC . Bad juju !!

Snag, some people will never learn to do things right. I've had two
electrical fires because people half assed repairs, or reused old
equipment that they should have thrown away. This property was bought
from the widow of a 'Precision fixedit' type that worked for the
schoolboard. He dragged home whatever he could from the scrap pile at
work to 'fix' things It's taken over 10 years to rip his crap out and do
proper repairs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As long as the compressor runs, you can put a box fan on top of the unit and get by...

You can get WAY more cooling using a garden hose and a spray nozzle.

I once ran my 5 hp. apple cooler all weekend this way.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 17:01:21 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

As long as the compressor runs, you can put a box fan on top of the unit and get by...

You can get WAY more cooling using a garden hose and a spray nozzle.

'Taint running, so it's not just a high pressure switch shutting it
off when it overheats. I pray it's a simple thing like just a cappy-
acitator.

I once ran my 5 hp. apple cooler all weekend this way.

Why do I believe you so easily, Karl? g (Probably because I've
been known to jury-rig things like that in an emergency, too.)

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:38:43 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I see that there is a high-pressure switch (probably not engaged), low
pressure switch (dunno without gauge set), and thermistor switch (now
cooled with water, so doubtful as the culprit now.) System is ten
years + 4 months old and has never had a problem. I have the
installing company come out almost every year for a checkup but didn't
last year. They found a loose squirrel cage early on and some pieces
of insulation in the fan another time, but nothing else has been
required or done to it.

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

Was the condenser fan spinning when it tried to start?
If not, then the condenser pressure built up until it tripped the
high pressure cutout or overheated the thermal switch in the compressor.
The unit will need to cool off before restarting. Cooling the compressor
may take several hours.

I cooled it to 60F in minutes with water. It didn't restart nor did
the fan start. I checked it again a few minutes later, and no
internal heating was found, except in the 4 nuts holding the fan on.
It continued to heat mildly, like it wanted to start but couldn't.

It could be a bad start or run capacitor. Usually these make themselves
VERY obvious because the explode smelly stuff all over the inside of the
condenser cabinet.

It may have leaked, but not much, and no explosion. I got enough oil
on the rag to make a 2" spot, altogether. Not much oil, and nothing
inside the cover or down the panel it was fastened to. If it did
overheat, it just seeped a wee bit of oil after doing so.

After cooling off, turn off the disconnect by the condenser, and then
set the thermostat inside to make it run. Watch and listen when you
turn on the disconnect. Does the condenser fan spin? Does the compressor
make a locked rotor loud hum, or sound like it is spinning? or, does it
just fire up and run OK now? If the compressor sounds like it is
laboring badly or locked, shut it off immediately. If you can't find
a blown capacitor (may be inside an inner compartment) or bad relay,
then you may have to call for service.

I heard the relays click on the thermostat. Then, every 5 minutes or
so, there was a quiet click on the compressor and a suppressed hum for
about one second before it clicked again. The fan never spun. I
didn't try it with the 240v disconnected, though.

One other thing: It was cooling well earlier yesterday. It's not like
it has been degrading for some time. If I was barefooted and the A/C
came on, I put on socks immediately.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't tell me I'm going to go blind,
and everyone will know?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Since I'm killfiled, I can sing, and no one will know.

God will know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Now that you two boys have a swinging contest going, who killfiled whom
first?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
news
Ignoramus25984 wrote:

But did you actually have something useful to say about his air
conditioner?

I've walked other people through starting cap problems on this group.

So far, in this thread, you did not say anything useful.

Neither have you, that is't repeating what others have said.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good thing you didn't have a 5 HP PC cooler.

I used a box fan inside a walk in cooler, one time. It's still there, and
works fine.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

As long as the compressor runs, you can put a box fan on top of the unit
and get by...

You can get WAY more cooling using a garden hose and a spray nozzle.

I once ran my 5 hp. apple cooler all weekend this way.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What are you doing here with a troll email address? STUPID!!!

Enlighten me.

What's a troll email address?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-07, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Any thoughts, boys and girls?

I'd tell you what's wrong but you killfiled me, so tough luck!

ROFLMAO!!!

What goes around, comes around and can bite you in the ass.

So much for him telling me that I had nothing useful to say on the
group.

But did you actually have something useful to say about his air
conditioner?

I've walked other people through starting cap problems on this group.

So far, in this thread, you did not say anything useful.

Neither have you, that is't repeating what others have said.

I was the first to say that it was the capacitor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Don't tell me I'm going to go blind, and everyone will know?

I can't speak for God.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

It may have leaked, but not much, and no explosion. I got enough oil
on the rag to make a 2" spot, altogether. Not much oil, and nothing
inside the cover or down the panel it was fastened to. If it did
overheat, it just seeped a wee bit of oil after doing so.

Any leak means that it's bad.

I heard the relays click on the thermostat. Then, every 5 minutes or
so, there was a quiet click on the compressor and a suppressed hum for
about one second before it clicked again. The fan never spun. I
didn't try it with the 240v disconnected, though.

That's a great way to burn up the compressor's motor.

One other thing: It was cooling well earlier yesterday. It's not like
it has been degrading for some time. If I was barefooted and the A/C
came on, I put on socks immediately.

Oil filled caps don't degrade, they either go open or short. Bipolar
Electrolytic capacitors develop high ESR before you can detect a change
in capacitance. That reduces the current through the capacitor and
causes it to heat. Not that you'll see any of this.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Snag wrote:

Repeated tripouts on the thermal OL are BAD for compressors ! Not
to mention what might be happening in your breaker/fuse box . My
youngest had a bad cap in his condenser, repeated reset/trip cycles
fried the terminals/sockets/etc in his fuse box .He was faced with
a choice of power to the stove or power to the AC . Bad juju !!

Snag, some people will never learn to do things right. I've had two
electrical fires because people half assed repairs, or reused old
equipment that they should have thrown away. This property was bought
from the widow of a 'Precision fixedit' type that worked for the
schoolboard. He dragged home whatever he could from the scrap pile at
work to 'fix' things It's taken over 10 years to rip his crap out and
do proper repairs.

Actually this was original construction electrics . He has since had a
nice new breaker box installed . With capacity for expansion IIRC .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25984 wrote:

I was the first to say that it was the capacitor.

Sigh. In one thread. There have been many threads with the same
problems.