Posted to rec.woodworking

Default MLCS Router Bit experience

I bought several (what I thought to be mid-range) MLCS triple wing router
bits
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ml/pages/tripl
ewing.html recently. THey aren't all their web site claims.

I attempted to use the 1/2" flush trim 1 /36" long bit today. First thing I
noticed was a lot of vibration when I turned it on. Thought it was due to
it being a bigger bit than I usually use. I tested it on scrap 1st and it
seemed ok. I started trimming a 1" pice of walnut with it - Largest bite
was probably 1/16" of an inch. I hit a small pinhole knot . The bit
grabbed on the knot and almost torqued the router out of my hands (yeah I
did have a firm grip on it). The bit jumped up into the guide and took a
bite out of it and a large bite out of the walnut rail of a footboard. Of
course I had the tenons on the sides cut as well as all the mortices for
the slats. This was the 'final' decorative cut. So now I have to find
another piece of 5/4 walnut and start from scratch.

Lesson learned -- I'll go to my local tool store and buy a top line router
bit. It will cost but I probably won't have to remake the footboard rail
again.

I have several other of the triple wing bits. I certainly will think before
using them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mr. Lucky wrote:
[...]

I don't know what is going on with the grabbing and jumping(?) but I
seriously doubt the problem lies in the bit.

The vibration worries me. Vibration as if the bit was out of round or not
properly seated in the collet?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

What does 1/36" refer too?
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/30/2012 6:09 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Mr. Lucky wrote:
[...]

I've seen the MLCS and wouldn't be surprised if one were out of
balance--they're pretty typical low-ball market stuff imo. That said,
if it's enough that one can feel it, one needs to find the cause and fix
it before going ahead whether it is the collet, shank, dirt in collet,
bearing or the bit itself. It's dangerous if out of balance as the high
speed combined w/ the load imbalance can cause a shank to fail as well
as potentially damage the workpiece.

I'm not positive of what OP means w/ "jumped up into the guide"
precisely--whether it moved in the collet or the overall router got away
from him or the reaction caused the depth setting of the base to move or
what so can't comment too much other than if it moved in collet that's
indicative of a problem there of dirt or size or somesuch.

If the knot was so small as indicated, it's hard to conceive of the
router even knowing it was there unless was severely underpowered and if
that were the case perhaps the bit wasn't the culprit at all...no way to
tell from just the description.

Either way, my acquaintanceship w/ the MLCS hasn't been enough to make
me relieve them from perhaps some culpability--I don't think they're any
great shakes for sure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 07:09:49 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Mr. Lucky wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I hope he figured that out and let MLCS know about it. They
might replace it for him, free of charge.

--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

(comparing Paine to the current CONgress deep sigh)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:04:27 +0000, Wood Butcher
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 02:48:13 GMT, "Mr. Lucky" wrote:

I attempted to use the 1/2" flush trim 1 /36" long bit today.

Free Clue: You should never use power equipment while intoxicated AND
you should never post drunken gibberish to Usenet.

Wul, I have ye no dat I dint tink he wuz intokated and da
jibberish dint seem ta be drunk.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/29/2012 10:48 PM, Mr. Lucky wrote:
[...]

First you say this was a flush trim bit, I have never had a router jump
from using a flush trim bit. I have had chatter.

The vibration should have been Isolated before using it.
So did this flush trim bit come from MLCS???? you only talked about your
flush trim bit. I don't use 3 wing cutters in a hand held router. I
usually use them in the table, and they require less RPM.

So please clarify what happened. Was this all about a flush trim or a 3
wing cutter? Did you check your colet for dirt after experiencing the
vibration? Did you remove the bit and turn it? Did you seat it all the
way at the bottom, and it was not able to tighten all the way??? You
know a bit gets pulled down and if you bottom it out from the very
beginning it won't seat correctly and can vibrate and also come out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/30/2012 10:31 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

If you check his reference it will indicate the bit used, a triple wing
flush trim bit.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...riplewing.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/29/2012 9:48 PM, Mr. Lucky wrote:
[...]

If you allow the bit to bottom out in the router it can very often lead
to the bit not being parallel to the arbor/collet and you will get
vibration.

Even a poor quality bit with this small diameter should not vibrate,
this is not a large bit. If you were spinning a 2"+ diameter bit I
could see how a poor quality bit could be less than desirable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/30/2012 11:43 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I didn't check his link. I thought he was talking 2 different
things, one a slot cutter and the other a flush cutter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

I'm not positive of what OP means w/ "jumped up into the guide"

Yeah, that puzzled me too. At first I thought he meant he was using an edge
guide attached to the router but why would he be using one of those with a
trimming bit?

As far as jumping goes, I don't ever recall a router trying to jump up;
sideways sometimes but not up (or down).

We may never know

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mr. Lucky" wrote:

I bought several (what I thought to be mid-range) MLCS triple wing
router
bits

That was your first mistake.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/tripl ewing.html recently. THey aren't all their web site claims.---------------------------------------- I attempted to use the 1/2" flush trim 1 /36" long bit today. Firstthing I noticed was a lot of vibration when I turned it on.--------------------------------Contact MLCS directly.Lew

MLCS router bits [email protected] Woodworking 11 July 31st 10 01:34 PM
MLCS Router Plate Locutus Woodworking 7 August 9th 06 05:08 PM
mlcs router bit set [email protected] Woodworking 15 July 18th 05 01:30 AM
MLCS router bits Rich Woodworking 7 October 9th 03 03:00 AM
Router Bits From MLCS RJD74 Woodworking 4 September 8th 03 05:52 AM