Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cool fold-up chairs

While I was visiting the Ozark Old Time Music Festival last month in
West Plaines, MO I met a man who built some rather amazing folding chairs.

In a nutshell, here is how they opened:

The back was lifted upward/upright, and then the two pieces which were
the arms were pulled apart, that brought the seat, and the rest of the
parts, into their final position.

Reversng the steps folded up the chairs.

He made taking the seats down and setting them up look effortless. It
was a truely remarkable design, with not very many pieces.

He had a regular version, a wide version (like a small bench), and even
a rocking-chair version.

Has anyone else here seen these chairs? My effort to locate one on
Google failed.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill, this chair sounds neat and I'm interested. Can you give any
more info about where, at the festival, you saw the man and chairs?
Do you recall his name .... any other info? Did he have a dedicated
booth or was the setup less formal (not necessarily registered, if
applicable)? Was his festival location in a section other than
woodworking? Did he have other kinds of displays/medium, other than
those chairs?

I contacted the personnel, at Ozark Old Time Music Festival, hoping to
get some info, but have struck out. Here is the reply I got from
them:

Sonny - I've reviewed our list of vendors, and can't find anything in
the description of products given to us that would help me locate
this vendor for you, based on folding wooden chairs. If you can give
me a little more information about other products they may have had,
where they were located on the grounds, or anything else you can
think of, I'll be glad to look over the listing once more to see if
we can help you find them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/5/2012 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

While I was visiting the Ozark Old Time Music Festival last month in
West Plaines, MO I met a man who built some rather amazing folding chairs.

In a nutshell, here is how they opened:

The back was lifted upward/upright, and then the two pieces which were
the arms were pulled apart, that brought the seat, and the rest of the
parts, into their final position.

Reversng the steps folded up the chairs.

He made taking the seats down and setting them up look effortless. It
was a truely remarkable design, with not very many pieces.

He had a regular version, a wide version (like a small bench), and even
a rocking-chair version.

Has anyone else here seen these chairs? My effort to locate one on
Google failed.

Was it all wood, or did it have a canvas seat and back rest?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:05:00 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/5/2012 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

While I was visiting the Ozark Old Time Music Festival last month in
West Plaines, MO I met a man who built some rather amazing folding chairs.

In a nutshell, here is how they opened:

The back was lifted upward/upright, and then the two pieces which were
the arms were pulled apart, that brought the seat, and the rest of the
parts, into their final position.

Reversng the steps folded up the chairs.

He made taking the seats down and setting them up look effortless. It
was a truely remarkable design, with not very many pieces.

He had a regular version, a wide version (like a small bench), and even
a rocking-chair version.

Has anyone else here seen these chairs? My effort to locate one on
Google failed.

Was it all wood, or did it have a canvas seat and back rest?

Are you thinking "director's chairs" like I am here? They're very
comfortable. I had some in my living room for about a decade and my
friends flocked to them first. http://tinyurl.com/cpw97zq

I've seen another canvas and wood style in the old books by Popular
Science for ShopSmith. Page 30 of the 1986 Yearbook. It's called the
Rocking Lawn Chair, but it looks like the old style canvas beach
chair.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
Posted to rec.woodworking

These:?

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/a...chairplan.aspx

Sort of fits the area.

MJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote the following on 7/10/2012 2:37 PM (ET):
These:?

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/a...chairplan.aspx

Sort of fits the area.

MJ

How does anything named Adirondack, a mountain range in New York State
named after the Adirondack Indians, fit in Missouri?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 7/5/2012 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

While I was visiting the Ozark Old Time Music Festival last month in
West Plaines, MO I met a man who built some rather amazing folding
chairs.

In a nutshell, here is how they opened:

The back was lifted upward/upright, and then the two pieces which were
the arms were pulled apart, that brought the seat, and the rest of the
parts, into their final position.

Reversng the steps folded up the chairs.

He made taking the seats down and setting them up look effortless. It
was a truely remarkable design, with not very many pieces.

He had a regular version, a wide version (like a small bench), and even
a rocking-chair version.

Has anyone else here seen these chairs? My effort to locate one on
Google failed.

Was it all wood, or did it have a canvas seat and back rest?

All wood. I don't think the arms of the chair at Highland push apart to
unfold in the manner I've described above. One thing that was obvious
in watching the operation of the chair was that it had to have been
designed with of A LOT of time and trial and error--that none of it's
parts collided when folded or unfolded. I pointed out what I thought
might be a "weak area" supporting the back of the seat I think, but
that's another matter.

His 16 year old young friend shared his abundant knowledge about
blacksmithing with me. All I had to say is "I think it would be really
cool to make my own hinges.." and we were off! This interspersed with
old time fiddle through the afternoon and evening--it was a great day!
: ) Cost of admission was free and parking was easy--highly recommended
(annual) event!

I'm still interested in the chair design too!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/5/2012 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

No resemblance to that one. This one had a coolness factor to it that
you might expect to see the likes of Wham-O copy, in plastic.

I've seen another canvas and wood style in the old books by Popular
Science for ShopSmith. Page 30 of the 1986 Yearbook. It's called the
Rocking Lawn Chair, but it looks like the old style canvas beach
chair.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Posted to rec.woodworking

How does anything named Adirondack, a mountain range in New York State
named after the Adirondack Indians, fit in Missouri?

Thinking rural, rugged, country folk craft, etc. Adirondack aside, I
recall
there's hills/mtns in Missouri (isn't that's where the Ozarks are?).

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:45:47 -0400, willshak
wrote:

MJ wrote the following on 7/10/2012 2:37 PM (ET):
These:?

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/a...chairplan.aspx

Sort of fits the area.

MJ

How does anything named Adirondack, a mountain range in New York State
named after the Adirondack Indians, fit in Missouri?

PLEASE, Bill. The interjection of logic into a Wreck discussion is
never advised.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/5/2012 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

OK. I didn't grok that at all, but maybe I will when you show us a
pic.

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote the following on 7/10/2012 4:46 PM (ET):

How does anything named Adirondack, a mountain range in New York State
named after the Adirondack Indians, fit in Missouri?

Thinking rural, rugged, country folk craft, etc. Adirondack aside, I
recall
there's hills/mtns in Missouri (isn't that's where the Ozarks are?).

MJ

So you meant an Ozark chair?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 10, 3:45*pm, willshak wrote:
MJ wrote the following on 7/10/2012 2:37 PM (ET):

These:?

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/a...chairplan.aspx

Sort of fits the area.

How does anything named Adirondack, a mountain range in New York State
named after the Adirondack Indians, fit in Missouri?

Like the Indians knew state names!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/5/2012 5:16 AM, Bill wrote:

[...]

you might expect to see from the likes of Wham-O copy, in plastic.

OK. I didn't grok that at all, but maybe I will when you show us a
pic.

I looked when I came home, but haven't seen one. Now that Cedar-Sonny
is interested too, maybe one will show up.

Bill

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:45:47 -0400, willshak wrote:

MJ wrote the following on 7/10/2012 2:37 PM (ET):
These:?

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/a...chairplan.aspx

Sort of fits the area.

MJ

How does anything named Adirondack, a mountain range in New York State
named after the Adirondack Indians, fit in Missouri?

Dunno, I've seen a lot of Amish-made Adirondack chairs. Don't think they live
in upstate-NY and they sure don't dress like injuns.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:37:19 -0400, "
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:45:47 -0400, willshak wrote:

MJ wrote the following on 7/10/2012 2:37 PM (ET):
These:?

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/a...chairplan.aspx

Sort of fits the area.

MJ

How does anything named Adirondack, a mountain range in New York State
named after the Adirondack Indians, fit in Missouri?

Dunno, I've seen a lot of Amish-made Adirondack chairs. Don't think they live
in upstate-NY and they sure don't dress like injuns.

There's a rather large Amish community in East Otto, NY, about 25
miles south of Buffalo.

http://amishtrail.com/business/east-...t-otto-country
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:45:44 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Dunno, I've seen a lot of Amish-made Adirondack chairs. Don't think
they live in upstate-NY and they sure don't dress like injuns.

Lots of Amish poplulation in upstate NY. Lots. And... you're right - they
don't at all dress like injuns.

Never saw any in the Adirondaks, anyway (lived across the drink for 35 years).
The New York chairs I was referring to were made in Ohio. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:45:47 -0400, willshak wrote:

MJ wrote the following on 7/10/2012 2:37 PM (ET):
These:?

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/a...chairplan.aspx

Sort of fits the area.

MJ

How does anything named Adirondack, a mountain range in New York State
named after the Adirondack Indians, fit in Missouri?

Dunno, I've seen a lot of Amish-made Adirondack chairs. Don't think they live
in upstate-NY and they sure don't dress like injuns.

There's a rather large Amish community in East Otto, NY, about 25
miles south of Buffalo.

http://amishtrail.com/business/east-...t-otto-country

Closer to the Pennsylvania Amish than the Adirondack Injuns, no? ;-)

BTW, isn't that considered "Western New York" rather than "Upstate New York".
I understand that everything North of Yonkers is "upstate" to a NYC boy,
but...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Update:

I have contacted the Ozark Old Time Music Festival personnel and they
have direct me to a Mr. Murrell, with the Ozark Mountain Long Rifle
organization. The Ozark Mountain Long Rifle organization participated
at the festival, with many representatives in many medias. The chair
maker may have been among this group. I have sent an email to Mr
Murrell, for possible further assistance in finding the chair maker
and/or more info about his chairs, etc.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/old-ti...43161652375676

Sonny

bi fold doors rope UK diy 30 February 1st 11 08:52 PM
bi-fold door dkhedmo Home Repair 1 November 6th 06 04:43 PM
cool-crete or cool-deck reader Home Repair 2 March 14th 05 05:32 PM
How to fold a close double fold Lee Edward Armstrong Metalworking 1 April 19th 04 11:15 PM
Bi-Fold Doors Charlie Spitzer Home Ownership 0 July 30th 03 07:18 PM