Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bi fold doors

my name is jon i recently fitted a bi fold door between an extension i
just built and the main house the opening was too small for the
orginal size door so i cut the door to fit and hung with 3 hinges and
used a mortice latch and a key lock plus screwed a magnet to the top
to stop it from opening in the middle but the door keeps opening and
the clients want it to b secure has anyone any ideas or advice to stop
it from opening many thanks jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:
my name is jon i recently fitted a bi fold door between an extension i
just built and the main house the opening was too small for the
orginal size door so i cut the door to fit and hung with 3 hinges and
used a mortice latch and a key lock plus screwed a magnet to the top
to stop it from opening in the middle but the door keeps opening and
the clients want it to b secure has anyone any ideas or advice to stop
it from opening many thanks jon

Horrible things. But sounds like it's not fitted quite right, as it
ought to 'flip' shut - ie with the central hinge fully open - and stay
that way: hard to explain. I suspect the hinges (side or central)
aren't quite in the right position.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 09:42:59 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Horrible things.

But useful if space is restricted, beggers to hang though.

But sounds like it's not fitted quite right, as it ought to 'flip' shut

All depends on how well hung it is. The OP doesn' say if he fitted a
runner at the top to keep the outer edge in the frame of if it just
swings free.

Making it secure will be tricky as it can be simply pushed, or
pulled, in the middle to draw an ordinary bolt/latch out of it's
housing in the jamb. The door needs to be made rigid to prevent this.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rope ) wibbled on Saturday 29 January 2011 09:08:

my name is jon i recently fitted a bi fold door between an extension i
just built and the main house the opening was too small for the
orginal size door so i cut the door to fit and hung with 3 hinges and
used a mortice latch and a key lock plus screwed a magnet to the top
to stop it from opening in the middle but the door keeps opening and
the clients want it to b secure has anyone any ideas or advice to stop
it from opening many thanks jon

Mate - try some punctuation and capitalisation ^^^
That's bloody hard to read...

Anyway, I think I see the problem, but as other's have said, it depends on
how it's hung. Do you have any photos (cameraphone is good enough) tht you
can put on www.flickr.com and post a link here?

Of particular interest would be the top assembly, showing runners (if any)
and some deatils of the frame, both top section and hinge section - and how
this magnet is mounted.

It sounds like gravity is working against you - ie bi-fold doors need to
"fall into" the frame ideally, which suggests handing is out slightly on the
main hinges.

I've never done this, but thinking about it, I suspect the lower hinge needs
to be a fraction outwards from the vertical of the top hinge to the first
section of the door wants to close by itself, which will tend to push the
middle joint *into* the frame rather than away from it - can anyone confirm
this?

Wouldn't be to hard to dowel the hinge holes and shift the hinge.

Another option, is a stronger magnet - if the door basically closes nicely
but won't quite stay there, it could be an acceptable solution. Google for
"rare earth magnets" or "neodynium". There are all sorts and several
available with a centre countersunk hold for screw fixing. One of those in
perhaps the 10-15mm diameter range and a steel plate on the other moving
part will hold an order of magnitude more strongly than those cupboard
magnets people normally use.

Anyway, couple of photos would really help...

Cheers

Tim
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-01-29, Tim Watts wrote:
Google for [...] "neodynium".

I was going to say "Googling for neodymium would give more
hits", but Google is so smart these days it corrects the
spelling error on the fly.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jón Fairbairn ) wibbled on Saturday 29 January 2011
13:45:

On 2011-01-29, Tim Watts wrote:
Google for [...] "neodynium".

I was going to say "Googling for neodymium would give more
hits", but Google is so smart these days it corrects the
spelling error on the fly.

"Typo", good sir, "typo"....
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:
my name is jon i recently fitted a bi fold door between an extension i
just built and the main house the opening was too small for the
orginal size door so i cut the door to fit and hung with 3 hinges and
used a mortice latch and a key lock plus screwed a magnet to the top
to stop it from opening in the middle but the door keeps opening and
the clients want it to b secure has anyone any ideas or advice to stop
it from opening many thanks jon

As others have said, a bi-fold door can be opened, simply by pushing or
pulling in the middle - so a magnet on its own won't prevent it being
opened, even if it stops it from opening by itself.

It seems to me that what you need is the sort of lock which is fitted to
sliding patio doors - which either has a hook or expands sideways to
prevent the door from being slid open. Such a lock should prevent a
bi-fold door from being opened.

Have a look at:
http://www.locksonline.co.uk/acatalo...or_Locks_.html
One of those should provide the necessary level of security.

As far as keeping it closed without locking it is concerned, is there a
top track in which a little roller attached to the top of the remote
leaf moves? If so, there should be a snubber at the far end whose
position needs to be adjusted so that the roller contacts it just before
the door is fully shut. Snapping it shut then compresses the snubber a
bit - pushing the two leaves together where they meet - provided the
hinges are correctly positioned! If the whole lot came in a kit, there
should be some instructions with it!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 16:28, Roger Mills wrote:
On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:

As others have said, a bi-fold door can be opened, simply by pushing or
pulling in the middle - so a magnet on its own won't prevent it being
opened, even if it stops it from opening by itself.

It seems to me that what you need is the sort of lock which is fitted to
sliding patio doors - which either has a hook or expands sideways to
prevent the door from being slid open. Such a lock should prevent a
bi-fold door from being opened.

I tangled with one of these things myself recently; fitted to the
bathroom of a buy-to-let I'd bought. Door opened outwards, but the
problem was that you couldn't actually close the bifold without someone
pushing the door from the outside.

Never mind, I thought; just needs a pull-knob attaching to the middle of
the door. I fitted that, and it worked fine until I tried to open the
door - the presence of the knob in the middle of the bifold gap
effectively prevented the door from opening wide enough to allow me out!
Duh.

So, on to plan B... what was needed was a flush-fitting draw-pull
arrangement. I sourced one of those and attacked the door to make a
recess for it, where upon I discovered the door was a completely hollow
egg-box affair, so nowhere to screw it to. In the end I glued the
draw-pull in place with NoNails and so far it's apparently holding, but
I'm not holding my breath. Like I said... bloody horrible things!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure if the OP means he cut the door to fit, thus destroying the
points where the top sliders fit- and then had to use 3 hinges instead?

Or if his clients simply want to stay closed or be 'secure'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:

[...]

I wanted to fix one of these (between kitchen and utility room) so the
cats couldn't push it open. I had the same problem with a projection in
the 'fold', but it wasn't too bad if I used one of these, which has been
on there years now...

http://www.atlanticshed.com/ring_latch.htm

The style of the one I used isn't so ornate, and I omitted the middle
sliding guide. The rings don't stick out too far either.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:

[...]

Sorry about the multiple posting...it sat there for ages and then did
four posts all by itself!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:
[...]

His English isn't the best - so the original post is not totally clear.
But he definitely says the clients want it to be secure - which I took
to mean capable of being locked shut. ICBW! I assumed the 3 hinges are
used to hinge the two leaves together - but again, ICBW!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:

[...]

My God - what's with the Robo-girl?!!

FWIW my one is like this:
http://www.mascotmetal.com/pcat-gifs/products-large1/20610-b.jpg

I suspect both will suffer similarly from egg-box door syndrome though

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster ) wibbled on Saturday 29 January 2011
23:49:

http://www.atlanticshed.com/ring_latch.htm

My God - what's with the Robo-girl?!!

She might be the best looking gal they could find in Southeastern
Massachusetts?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:

[...]

I hadn't actually noticed her (I have Flashblock turned on). It's not
where I bought ours...I just Googled an image.

FWIW my one is like this:
http://www.mascotmetal.com/pcat-gifs/products-large1/20610-b.jpg

I wanted it latchable from both sides....

I suspect both will suffer similarly from egg-box door syndrome though

My door is pretty solid; I had it made by a carpenter as it's an odd size.
My DIY carpentry is rubbish!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 29, 4:28*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:

[...]

hi roger thanks for you e mail most helpful but the door is just hung
with 3 hinges no track as the opening doesnt allow it.ill get photo's
this week and post them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:
[...]

checked.- Hide quoted text -

sorry roger i didnt think i was being tested on my english, im new to
computers and the internet,but what i was saying was, placed 3 hinges
on the left hand side of the door, placed the locks on the right and
the cup board magnet on top i removed 40mm from the bottom of the doo
to allow it to fit the opening,there is no top track and my clients
wish it to be closed tight and be secure. The advice and help which i
have received from you and everyone else has help me ,thanks everyone
but these doors r just a pain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rope wrote:
sorry roger i didnt think i was being tested on my english, im new to
computers and the internet,but what i was saying was, placed 3 hinges

The internet is just like any other written communication medium,
attention to spelling, grammar, punctuation and paragraphination
enables meaning to be communicated. Additionally, appropriate
trimming (removing redundant content) and quoting (keeping
appropriate content) enables the communication to be understood.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2011 09:08, rope wrote:
[...]

If you trimmed 40mm off the bottom, you have no option other than to do
what you did really. The hole for the height adjusted would have been
cut away, so there would be nothing to hold the door into the top track.

Could you re drill that hole & fit it like a normal bi fold?

A normally fitted bi fold has a spring to hold the two inner flat bits
of the doors together - so it will stay closed, but not be secure.

A bolt would stop it folding inwards, but not outwards & would slightly
restrict the opening. Do they need it to be secure and open able from
both sides or just one? For example, on a toilet you would only need to
'lock' it from inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2011 13:04, rope wrote:
On Jan 29, 9:12 pm, Roger wrote:

sorry roger i didnt think i was being tested on my english, im new to
computers and the internet,but

It just meant that it would have been easier to understand if divided
into sentences - each starting with a capital letter and ending with a
full-stop. And maybe with the occasional comma thrown in, for good measure.

what i was saying was, placed 3 hinges
on the left hand side of the door, placed the locks on the right and
the cup board magnet on top i removed 40mm from the bottom of the doo
to allow it to fit the opening,there is no top track and my clients
wish it to be closed tight and be secure. The advice and help which i
have received from you and everyone else has help me ,thanks everyone
but these doors r just a pain

So is it *actually* a bi-fold door - i.e. in two pieces, hinged down the
middle? If so, how many hinges are there altogether, including those
which hinge the whole thing to the frame?

If it's hinged to the frame with conventional hinges, the hinge axis
will be in line with - or outside - one face of the door. Proper bi-fold
door gear has the axis mid-way between the two faces - and this matters
when it comes to making it stay closed.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 30, 7:01*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
On 30/01/2011 13:04, rope wrote:

On Jan 29, 9:12 pm, Roger *wrote:

[...]

The bi fold door has 1 hinge the full lenght of the door and i placed
3 pin hinges on the left hand side. The door is between a granny flat
and main house, they just want the door to be, when closed that no one
can open it when u push it at the centre. But when it was on the track
the problem still happen's.thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rope ) wibbled on Sunday 30 January 2011 22:01:

The bi fold door has 1 hinge the full lenght of the door and i placed
3 pin hinges on the left hand side. The door is between a granny flat
and main house, they just want the door to be, when closed that no one
can open it when u push it at the centre. But when it was on the track
the problem still happen's.thanks

Professional sliding door sets (as used, say, in an office to divide a
seminar room) usually have a series of leaf-edge to rail locks. Sometimes
these can be simple sliding bolts, sometimes something fancy that is
operated by a "key" winder.

If they mean "cannot open it" as opposed to "cannot knock it open by nudging
it", then the solution has to be some sort of bolt on the middle hinge to
the track or frame.

French door top/bottom sliding bolts with a centre handle could be an
option, or just a simple top bolt, recessed flush type if it is on th side
where the two halves will come together on opening.

Cheers

tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 7:34*am, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Thanks to everyone who took the time to email me back.
My clients don't want a bolt in the centre as they wont be able to
open it from the granny flat, ill try a sliding door lock instead of
the mortice latch,
Fingers crossed this will solve my problem
thanks again to everyone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

rope ) wibbled on Monday 31 January 2011 18:51:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to email me back.
My clients don't want a bolt in the centre as they wont be able to
open it from the granny flat, ill try a sliding door lock instead of
the mortice latch,
Fingers crossed this will solve my problem
thanks again to everyone

Glad you got a solution I got most of my best ideas here (I'm DIY fixing
a knackered house from electrics, plumbing, concrete though to levelling
****e subfloors).

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 9:00*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
rope ) wibbled on Monday 31 January 2011 18:51:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to email me back.
My clients don't want a bolt in the centre as they wont be able to
open it from the granny flat, ill try a sliding door lock instead of
the mortice latch,
Fingers crossed this will solve my problem
thanks again to everyone

Glad you got a solution I got most of my best ideas here (I'm DIY fixing
a knackered house from electrics, plumbing, concrete though to levelling
****e subfloors).

--
Tim Watts

well best of luck with your fixer upper.
If i can be any help ill email you back.
again thanks for input. rope

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rope ) wibbled on Tuesday 01 February 2011 20:22:

On Jan 31, 9:00 pm, Tim Watts wrote:
rope ) wibbled on Monday 31 January 2011 18:51:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to email me back.
My clients don't want a bolt in the centre as they wont be able to
open it from the granny flat, ill try a sliding door lock instead of
the mortice latch,
Fingers crossed this will solve my problem
thanks again to everyone

Glad you got a solution I got most of my best ideas here (I'm DIY
fixing a knackered house from electrics, plumbing, concrete though to
levelling ****e subfloors).

--
Tim Watts

well best of luck with your fixer upper.
If i can be any help ill email you back.
again thanks for input. rope

No worries - and ta.

As you imagine, it's slow as I'm not doing each trade everyday - so I have
to learn on the fly. Luckily I already know plumbing and electrikery basics
but even there there are new regs or new products.

Everything's a game of catchup Haven't done anny major cockups yet
(fingers crossed).

--
Tim Watts

Replacing bi-fold doors with conventional doors [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 25th 06 03:45 AM
Where to get these multi-fold doors Bald Eagle Home Repair 8 October 30th 06 02:48 PM
Convert Bi-Fold Doors to Small French Doors Marc Woodworking 5 December 12th 05 08:21 PM
Bi-Fold doors Jquinn UK diy 2 June 20th 05 11:30 PM
Bi-Fold Doors Charlie Spitzer Home Ownership 0 July 30th 03 07:18 PM