Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT. summer activities:

Its almost rodeo season and country fair time , my better half and I hookup
the old RV. and do the circuit throughout the province meet old friends
and have a darn good time.My guess is you Southerners
probably have something similar, have a good summer people.

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 3:21:26 PM UTC-4, sal wrote:
Its almost rodeo season and country fair time , my better half and I hookup
the old RV. and do the circuit throughout the province meet old friends
and have a darn good time.My guess is you Southerners
probably have something similar, have a good summer people.

Sal

Oh, yeah. As soon as we get electricity back (may be 6 more days), the temps dip under 100, and I get the tree cut off the house power line, plus shop to replace all food, condiments and frozen stuff. I'm not sure insurance covers ANY of this: if that's the case, this is a no vacation year. Fortunately, we're fewer than 25 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and gas has dropped under three bucks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote in
:

Oh, yeah. As soon as we get electricity back (may be 6 more
days), the temps dip under 100, and I get the tree cut off the
house power line, plus shop to replace all food, condiments and
frozen stuff. I'm not sure insurance covers ANY of this: if
that's the case, this is a no vacation year. Fortunately, we're
fewer than 25 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and gas has
dropped under three bucks.

Wow, Charlie, I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope they get your power restored sooner than
that.

Check with your insurance agent; the food probably *is* covered, minus whatever
deductible you have on your homeowner's policy. I had that conversation with my agent in
about 1990 -- we lost power in an ice storm, and when the power company told me it might
be a week before they got us hooked up again, I rented a generator[*]. Tried to get the
agent to pay for the generator and gas; no go. If I had let the food in the freezer spoil, they
would have paid to replace it -- a hundred pounds of venison (check how much that would
cost!), plus 50 pounds or so of other meats -- easily over a grand total, but they wouldn't
reimburse $200 for the generator and gas to save five or six times that in food.

* -- I recognize that renting a generator is probably not an option for you; it was for me,
because at the time, we lived in a rural area about twenty miles north of Indianapolis, and
the ice was in a pretty narrow band. Indy got rain, we got ice, twenty miles north of us they
got heavy snow. There were no generators available anywhere in our community or to the
north, but half an hour south of us, a city of a million people all had power, and there were
generators aplenty. You're in a very different circumstance: worse damage, much more
widespread, and the major cities didn't escape it. I bet there isn't a generator available for
rent within 150 miles of you, is there? Sucks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sal" wrote in message

Sorry about the post,I should have realized there were many in the US. under
extreme durress what with the floods, tornado's and terrible wild fires.

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 2, 2012 10:17:39 PM UTC-4, sal wrote:
"sal" wrote in message

Sorry about the post,I should have realized there were many in the US. under

extreme durress what with the floods, tornado's and terrible wild fires.

It was a mess and we've still got some firewood in the yard. It will probably be there this time next year. I don't do chainsaws any more. We were very, very lucky compared to others. We really lost only the food in both freezers and two refrigerators. And no, insurance didn't cover it. Our deductible was too high for that. We were fortunate in being able to drive 15 miles and sleep at the oldest kid's house, where power was still on: those 88 degree nights are not charming at my age.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sal" wrote in message

Sorry about the post,I should have realized there were many in the US. under

extreme durress what with the floods, tornado's and terrible wild fires.

It was a mess and we've still got some firewood in the yard. It will probably be there this time next year. I don't do chainsaws any more. We were very, very lucky compared to others. We really lost only the food in both freezers and two refrigerators. And no, insurance didn't cover it. Our deductible was too high for that. We were fortunate in being able to drive 15 miles and sleep at the oldest kid's house, where power was still on: those 88 degree nights are not charming at my age.

Hi Charlie Hoss,

Glad you made it through. I know about those deductibles. Lightning
struck a big pine about 10 ft from my shop. Zapped my well pump, Nova
DVR lathe, two telephones, security lights and misc. small
electronics. Everything is up and running again.

Bought your book on making wood puzzles and am busy at work making
little cubes of cherry and bradford pear. For the grand kids (after I
learn how to solve them myself).

Good to hear from you.

--
G.W. Ross

Earn cash in your spare time,
blackmail your friends.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sal" wrote in message

[...]

Late reply. We're STILL waiting for Apco/AEP to come in and cut a tree limb off the service entrance drop. It's not interfering right now, but my insurance will kick in for sure if we get another heavy windstorm. Otherwise, we lost a freezer and two refrigerators worth of food and nothing else, so we didn't make the deductible. We do have a huge branch messing up the yard, but that can sit until it rots for all I care. It cuts a lot of square feet out of the needed lawn mowing if nothing else. We missed part of one night's sleep, so it's almost a no harm-no foul deal for us. Many, many people had it much worse here and elsewhere.

Todays metal related activities Wes[_5_] Metalworking 15 May 30th 10 07:10 PM
Activities [email protected] Metalworking 0 November 20th 07 05:56 AM
Summer Golan UK diy 17 April 26th 07 01:02 AM
Club Activities/finaces Michael Lehmann Woodturning 4 February 14th 05 01:47 AM