Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Todays metal related activities

My metal working for today was shopping for a small air conditioner for my machine room
and modeling an adjustable feed tube for an assembly cell at work. That was an excuse to
play with my copy of Alibre Expert. Sadly, the .step file imported with 9 inches coming
in as 9 mm. I'll be making my first call to support in the 13 months I've licensed the
product. Mech Desktop 2009 exported the file I was trying to work with.

I was looking at a 5300 btu energy star a/c with electronic controls when I looked at the
cost of owning a 9.7 seer unit with mechanical controls and decided it wasn't worth the
extra money. I can fix one with switches and conventional temperature switches. The room
isn't very big but I want to be able to play when it gets hot and muggy.

The other benefit is one of those clock work light timers can turn it on in advance of my
arival. No idea how an electronic control ac would react to that.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

[...]

I have a window air conditioner with a remote control. If the power
goes off, you have to turn it back on with the remote, or a button on
the control panel.

I have a regular air conditioner in a small cottage I used when I was
still able to work. I had a 120 VAC water heater type timer programmed
to turn it on an hour before I got home from work to start cooling the
bedroom.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Wes wrote:

[snip]

I was looking at a 5300 btu energy star a/c with electronic controls when I looked at the
cost of owning a 9.7 seer unit with mechanical controls and decided it wasn't worth the
extra money. I can fix one with switches and conventional temperature switches. The room
isn't very big but I want to be able to play when it gets hot and muggy.

The other benefit is one of those clock work light timers can turn it on in advance of my
arival. No idea how an electronic control ac would react to that.

I have a window air conditioner with a remote control. If the power
goes off, you have to turn it back on with the remote, or a button on
the control panel.

The energy star unit had a remote control. I had a strong suspicion that it would not
power up after a power outage.

I have a regular air conditioner in a small cottage I used when I was
still able to work. I had a 120 VAC water heater type timer programmed
to turn it on an hour before I got home from work to start cooling the
bedroom.

I guess great minds think alike.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Wes wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I installed that in 1999, right after I bought this place. HD had a
closeout on a battery backed, digital programmable timer. Something like
$35. I saved more than that in the first month.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
My metal working for today was shopping for a small air conditioner
for my machine room and modeling an adjustable feed tube for an
assembly cell at work.

Mine was hanging a new-to-me light fixture in my shed/shop , testing and
tuning the new saw , and starting repairs on some tiller parts . Fella took
2 pieces of pipe and 2 12" circles of 12 or 10 ga sheet stock and made a
couple of spirals to till with . Depending on which side they're on ,
they'll either make a shallow ditch or pile the dirt up . Neat idea , but
he's a worse welder than me ...

--
Snag
And I'm not

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
news
[...]

What else is in your Bat Cave? TV, computer, sound system, fridge, X-Box,
etc...?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 29, 6:59*pm, "Snag" wrote:
Wes wrote:
My metal working for today was shopping for a small air conditioner
for my machine room and modeling an adjustable feed tube for an
assembly cell at work.

* Mine was hanging a new-to-me light fixture in my shed/shop , testing and
tuning the new saw , and starting repairs on some tiller parts . Fella took
2 pieces of pipe and 2 12" circles of 12 or 10 ga sheet stock and made a
couple of spirals to till with . Depending on which side they're on ,
they'll either make a shallow ditch or pile the dirt up . Neat idea , but
he's a worse welder than me ...

--
Snag
And I'm not
all that good !

Sounds interesting. I need to put in some sub surface drains. Any
pictures ?

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes, I just use a wall fan (1/3 HP). It works for me. Nice way to
spend time today. I finished disconnecting the head from this
Bridgeport CNC mill and welded something for removal of a very
stubborn SHCS (3/8" hole).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 17:55:41 -0400, Wes
wrote:

[...]

Hi Wes, glad to see that someone else did some actual metal work
yesterday. I spent a few hours setting up and rough-turning a piece
of 1 1/2" black pipe.

Bought a $39 drill press from the HF store in Paducah a few weeks ago.
Took it to the lab and set it up. It has a fairly short column and as
a result, limited vertical capacity. The column is 1.89" dia so a
piece of 1 1/2" water pipe should do for a new column if it's
carefully centered and turned.

Unfortunately I don't have a pipe center for the tailstock so I turned
a piece of aluminum about 1/8" smaller than the i.d. of the pipe, and
drilled a center hole in it. Then drilled and tapped (1/4x20) four
equally spaced holes around the periphery, and four 5/16" matching
holes near the end of the pipe. Run cap screws into the holes, set
the thing up in the lathe, and adjust the cap screws until the far end
was reasonably well centered. The headstock end was held in a 4-jaw.

The first pass took off a lot of the black coating so things are
looking good. I'll finish it today and saw off the ends.

Just curiosity: can anyone suggest a different way to hold the
tailstock end without buying extra tooling?
--
Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 30, 7:06*am, Terry wrote:
Just curiosity: *can anyone suggest a different way to hold the
tailstock end without buying extra tooling?
--
Best -- Terry

The old way was to pound a piece of wood into the end of the pipe.
Bend over the corners of a square of sheetmetal and hammer it into the
wood, then mark and punch the center in the metal. Next turn the pipe
round and smooth enough to run in a steady rest, and drill a large 60
degree center hole in the sheet metal and wood. Or pound in a steel
insert.

The wood plug doesn't interfere with squaring up the end of the pipe
or beveling it to run true on the pipe center.

This was the way to turn one or a few cored castings without a fixture
such as you made.

My metal project has been repairing the corrugations in crumpled
roofing, using pipe for the anvil and a rubber hammer.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mine was to score a FREE CO2 tank for my MIG, and when I go back to Vegas
Tuesday, to try to find a rem of SS to go behind my stove at my old
supplier. Lots to build and do when I return here in a couple of weeks,
tho. I'm ready, and I got steel!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
Mine was to score a FREE CO2 tank for my MIG, and when I go back to Vegas
Tuesday, to try to find a rem of SS to go behind my stove at my old
supplier. Lots to build and do when I return here in a couple of weeks,
tho. I'm ready, and I got steel!

Steve

Sorry, forgot to add my sig:

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-30, Steve B wrote:
Mine was to score a FREE CO2 tank for my MIG, and when I go back to Vegas
Tuesday, to try to find a rem of SS to go behind my stove at my old
supplier. Lots to build and do when I return here in a couple of weeks,
tho. I'm ready, and I got steel!

Awesome. A month ago I got about 6 full size tanks for $10 each. You beat me!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Turn a Pointed Wedge and put a hole in the wide end that will slide over
your live center. Then simply crank the tailstock so the thing is held
inside your work piece

==l=====l
l----

Its very common to find this plug sortofthingy in tool and die makers
gear.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Wes wrote:

[snip]

I was looking at a 5300 btu energy star a/c with electronic
controls when I looked at the cost of owning a 9.7 seer unit with
mechanical controls and decided it wasn't worth the extra money. I
can fix one with switches and conventional temperature switches.
The room isn't very big but I want to be able to play when it gets
hot and muggy.

The other benefit is one of those clock work light timers can turn
it on in advance of my arival. No idea how an electronic control
ac would react to that.

I have a Frigidaire energy star unit, and it has the feature of remembering
the last setting in the event of a power failure. I tested it by unplugging
the unit, and when I plugged it back in 20 minutes later, it came back on
with all of the same settings.

Jon