Posted to rec.woodworking

Default General shutting Main plant

From a fine woodworking email: This is sad, as I like their tools.
And choice is always good.

The number of woodworking machines made in North America is about to get
even smaller. General Mfg., the Canadian woodworking machinery
manufacturer that has been in business since 1946, will be closing its
main factory in Canada this fall.

According to the company, the plant closing will allow the company “to
increase efficiency by combining all Canadian operations under one roof
and by eliminating non-profitable SKUs from our product mix.” The
closing means General will focus its business resources on the General
International, General CNC, and Excalibur lines of woodworking machines.
It’s not clear at this time if any machines from General Mfg. will be
appear under any of these umbrellas. The company says warranty service
and replacement parts for General Mfg. tools will be available through
General International.

General International will be at IWF in Atlanta this year (booth #5053),
so we'll get a firsthand look at what is to come, this August. We'll
also update the story as it develops over the summer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2012 1:40 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
From a fine woodworking email: This is sad, as I like their tools.
[...]

I guess that means that one of the best table saws on the market is going to be
phased out.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

#5053), so
we'll get a firsthand look at what is to come, this August. We'll also
update
the story as it develops over the summer.

I guess that means that one of the best table saws on the market is
going to be phased out.

Anybody read Atlas Shrugged (again) lately?