Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Screwdrivers, electric or hand?

Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 14:56:18 -0700 (PDT), Sonnich Jensen
wrote:

Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich

I have generic screwdrivers, a Yankee (push) screwdriver, three
different power drill/drivers. The tool depends on the job. For
assembling ceiling fans, I prefer a specific drill/driver because the
torque can be adjusted down appropriately for mounting the blades to
their arms (equal torque is critical in having a fan that doesn't
wobble).

Sometimes the location of a screw determines the tool - perhaps a
deep, narrow space that requires a long, thin shaft or perhaps close
quarters that require a stubby screwdriver or [your circumstances
here]
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Both old fashioned screwdrivers and screwguns. It does depend on the task
at hand, but all things being equal, I'll reach for one of my cordless guns
everytime.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonnich Jensen" wrote in message
Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich

i don't think it matters what others prefer, it's what you prefer.
me, I prefer my 12v bosch for little stuff and my 18v impact driver for
bigger stuff.
but that said, I still use the old manual on occasion, too

Posted to rec.woodworking

Both.

I have tried the straight electric screwdriver types and people are
asking for tendonitis using those things. You can't torque your wrist
tendons without movement or you damage tendons using them without
oxygen to them by motion. Too hard on you.

Manual torque screwdrivers or right angle drill type handle, for me. I
have an impact unit and I am not impressed, except for on decking
boards. Way too noisy... you will need hearing protection inside tight
spaces and too many heads and bits stripped.

-----------
"Sonnich Jensen" wrote in message

Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Do they even MAKE manual screwdrivers any more?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/1/2012 4:56 PM, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich

Put in enough screws and you will end up with a powered driver. Put in
enough Philips head screws and you will switch to square drive. Put in
enough Square drive and you will switch to Torx/star drive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 1, 9:42*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Do they even MAKE manual screwdrivers any more?

You're kidding............. right?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 6/1/2012 4:56 PM, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich

Put in enough screws and you will end up with a powered driver. Put in enough
Philips head screws and you will switch to square drive. Put in enough Square
drive and you will switch to Torx/star drive.

Mangle enough brass screws and you'll reach for the manual driver.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich

They sound like tools my grandfather used to use.

If it is more than one or two screws, I reach for the electric. If it
is even one screw and more than an inch long, I reach for the
electric.

For driving screws, small and light is more important than the 48 volt
sodium hydrogenated lithium oxide led batteries that last 200 hours
but weigh 20 pounds. A simple 9.6V or 12.2V work well for 99.5% of
what we do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Do they even MAKE manual screwdrivers any more?

sure....but they come with a mexicang

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Sonnich wrote in news:15fd5743-eb90-
:

Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich

For long screws and driving them in to wood, powered. For shorter screws
and machine threads, often manual. It depends on the application. The
power screwdriver is fast and strong, while the manual screwdriver is
quick and easy to control.

I've found the powered "stick" drivers to be occasionally useful, but
usually bulky and short on battery.

You can combine the two if you'd like to get the best of both worlds.
Drive the screw most the way with the powered driver, then finish up with
the manual.

If you're removing screws that have been painted or otherwise covered, a
powered impact driver can be a great help. It will allow you to keep the
bit solidly pushed in to the screw head while the driver turns the screw
out.

Puckdropper

After reading your post, I went off to learn something about impact
drivers. The thought that the thread at the following link did a good
job of comparing/contrasting drills, hammer drill and impact drills.
Here it is for anyone who may be interested:

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/arti...mpact-drivers/

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich

1. A few screws up to #8 x 2" - hand, ratchet screw driver with appropriate
bit

2. A few bigger screws - brace with appropriate bit

3. A lot of screws - drill with appropriate bit

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich

Like others it depends on the project at hand, I use an impact for driving
tek screws into sheet metal, battery screw gun for mounting cover plates and
other repetitive tasks where clutch control is important. Hand screwdrivers
for delicate work or mounting items on soft material like ceiling tile.

I see a disturbing trend on the job site where younger workers grab the
impact driver for everything including retaining screws in thin aluminum
housings and ceiling tile support brackets that can be bent easily.

Proper tool for the job is my rule

--
PV

"If Inflammable means more flammable, then what does incompetent mean?'

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If it is more than one or two screws, I reach for the electric. If it
is even one screw and more than an inch long, I reach for the
electric.

For driving screws, small and light is more important than the 48 volt
sodium hydrogenated lithium oxide led batteries that last 200 hours
but weigh 20 pounds. A simple 9.6V or 12.2V work well for 99.5% of
what we do.

Indeed. I find that I am increasingly reaching for a little 3.6v Dremel
screw gun that my son gave me a few years ago. For short screws, it's the
ticket. Extremely light, small, and enough torque for small jobs. It's not
my go-to gun, but it does have its place in my world now, for the small
stuff.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 02:46:15 -0400, Bill wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Not a bad article.

LJ, who has a Bosch 14.4v Impactor kit for sale at $99 + s/h.

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 1, 4:56*pm, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich

It seems I reach for my cordless electric Black & Decker screwdriver
more all the time. I originally only used it if I had LOTS of screws
to drive, but now, I often use it even for only one screw. It just
saves time. However, if a screw is tight, or I'm worried about
marring my work, especially if I'm using straight slotted screws for a
traditional look, I'll often finish up with a manual screwdriver. If
I have a small, picky, job to do, I like tiny, old, wooden handled
screwdrivers... If you have a lot of time, you can search this group
for "the perfect screwdriver rack."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 10:49*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
Sonnich Jensen wrote in news:15fd5743-eb90-
:

Hi

I was lately doing something with large items, and I had a friend to
help me - and he asked why I dont use a electric screwdriver - when I
work I'd like to have a feeling with the items I make....

so I use and ordinary screwdriver and a special one, with the handle
in 90 degrees and when turned, it can go back without turning the
screw ( click -click - click)

What do people prefer?

Sonnich

I thought of this thread today... As I went back into the garage to get a
manual screwdriver. *Normally, I'd just use whatever tool I had to check
if a screw was tight, but there was one catch: The screwhead was under
water.

So for underwater screws, I prefer a manual screwdriver. *You don't even
have to wipe it off if it's clean water. *;-)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

After reading all this I realise that I am old fashioned.... and that
I need to invent at water proof screwdriver

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:10:44 -0700 (PDT), Sonnich Jensen
wrote:

[...]

I have a set of stainless screwdrivers. Perhaps that's the sort you're
looking for. ;-)