Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Designing a work table

I understand your rejoicing at making sawdust.
I've been at my project every day for a month,
and watching yours progress since you started, too.
I started out to consolidate 2 and maybe 3 wood
racks and make a new bench. Each project
necessitated another.
The cleaning and sorting was expected, but...
The neighbor was going to trash some Hardibacker
concrete board, so where I had a plain, exposed-stud
wall, now I have a finished, painted wall. That
project wrapped around the corner into the
adjoining mud room where I used up some old
T-111 siding and finished off that room covering
the exposed insulation I put up when I built it 15
years ago.
Installed a 12K BTU window AC early on in the
project, and it's gone from barely needing it, to
being too hot to want to see what it costs to run it.
It's nudging 90 daily.
Top of bench will be 1 1/2 " laminated industrial
particle board - about 150 pounds per sheet. Was
good to get it trimmed to size just to lighten it a little.
Made the side panels and uprights weeks ago, but
finally started on the stretchers yesterday, cutting
2x6s to width and length then drilling intersecting
holes for the bolts and nuts. The drill press made
quick work of the 1" holes for nut access, but I
went through two batteries getting up to the 7/16"
bolt holes the depth of the bit.
Sawdust is finally being made. Everything but a
couple of 2x6s came off my 'save for later' shelves.
The wife has been out there with me daily - a great
help, and the company often keeps me going.
Today is our anniversary, and I don't know if I
should suggest an early start to maximize our
togetherness or give her the day off.
Glad to hear that you're back on the bench.
-J

snip
Just having cut the legs--to size, I feel like I'm "over the hump".
But dinner was called... Tomorrow, tomorrow... : )
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:
[...]

I strongly recommend the latter! : )

I wouldn't mind having an AC like yours.
If I leave the adjacent door to the house open
for a few minutes, it makes almost-unbearable heat bearable.
Last summer, there were was a week or two where the
sweat dripped in my eyes so quickly there was no
sense in even being out there.

I hope I don't end up wishing that I used 2by6 strechers
like yours instead of 2by4s--but when I got the idea,
mine was just be a work table with a vise. Either way,
table(s) are handy--and homemade even better!

Cheers,
Bill

Glad to hear that you're back on the bench.
-J

snip
Just having cut the legs--to size, I feel like I'm "over the hump".
But dinner was called... Tomorrow, tomorrow... : )
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

I hope I don't end up wishing that I used 2by6 strechers
like yours instead of 2by4s--but when I got the idea,
mine was just be a work table with a vise. Either way,
table(s) are handy--and homemade even better!

You won't. You could have used 1x material for those stretchers. Go inside
and take a look at your dining room chairs...

--

-Mike-